Lyft Industrial Deals Oprah's Book Club Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Shawn Colvin All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Only: $49.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheTick TheTick TheTick  Three new members of the Echo family Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now TG18SW_gno

on June 11, 2012
Great main character in a washed up actor coming back to Chicago and entangling with his old college buddies. The mystery is steeped in regret, since the victim is the college girlfriend he left to chase his fame and fortune (not a spoiler, since it's revealed in the opening). Twists and turns aplenty make for a satisfying read, and the glimpse into trial junkies is fascinating. I'm looking forward to checking in with Hutch and friends in Book 2!
on May 27, 2012
Robert Gregory Brownes' latest novel Trial Junkies is a great read for anyone who enjoys a good legal thriller. Full of colorful and realistic characters, Browne delivers a story reminiscent of The Big Chill as former college friends reunite after the death of one of their own.

Browne has created characters that we can all relate to and placed them in a situation that none of us are prepared for. For me personally, as a self proclaimed mystery junkie, I loved this book not only for the plot and character dynamics but because Browne drops just enough red herrings to give the reader pause for thought, no easy feat for today's mystery writers.

Trial Junkies is without a doubt a fast paced, page turner that will keep you guessing as to the murderer's identity right up until the end.
on May 31, 2012
OK I won't lie- I am a sucker for most books based here in Chicago. It provides such a great backdrop. Anyways, this book was free and sounded interesting so I "purchased" it. Very fast paced and easy flowing story that keeps you hooked from beginning to end. I enjoyed it so much I did actually spend money and purchased another book by the same author! Hope it's just as good!!
on June 27, 2012
This is the first I've read of this author. The characters are quite believable even when portions of the story aren't. I downloaded this to read on an airplane, and truly didn't want the flight to land so I could finish the story (I reluctantly ignored the anticipated in-flight showing of the critically acclaimed John Carter). Being a lawyer I was a bit frustrated by little inaccuracies regarding the presentation of evidence at the trial and Jenny's profession (if she's a real estate attorney that focuses on contracts, her assistant is not scheduling her depositions nor is Jenny working on 'cases'). Regardless, the wonderful suspense and the interaction of the characters vastly outweighs any complaints. I was hoping for a sequel I could immediately download, but none yet. Keep it up Robert and write quickly!
on July 23, 2012
I really got into this book by Robert Gregory Browne. When I had to put it down, I couldn't wait to get back to it. I loved the Chicago setting and I found that I came to really care about the characters quickly.

I have to admit that I was a tad let down by the way the serial killer path went, but it was minor. I didn't see the solution coming. The fact that I kept wanting to get back to the book coupled with the fact that it kept me thinking about the story and the characters even after I finished it made me decide to give it 5 stars. Well written and well plotted, I think most mystery/thriller fans will really love this book.
on April 25, 2013
This book was enjoyable, even though there were too many characters in the 'friend group'... many of whom were introduced but then never really fleshed out. I thought the 'Law and Order Twist' that revealed the real killer was a bit of a stretch... but whatevs. I still stayed along for the ride. I'll give Browne another chance with another book.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on May 27, 2012
Got this book last week as a freebie from Amazon. Normally I put free books aside until I've got nothing else to read as I'm wary of the writing quality.

This is one book I'm very glad I didn't ignore until later. I thoroughly enjoyed it and read it through in one sitting. I must admit to feeling a bit guilty that the author got no recompense from me. I was hoping to rectify this by buying some of his other books but the prices the publisher has set for non-US buyers are just over the top.

I think Trial Junkies (A Thriller) is better than most of the John Grisham novels I've read so I hope the publisher will be more reasonable with the prices and not lose Mr Browne many well-deserved sales.
on August 2, 2013
I loved this book. If this was Volume 1, please tell me Volume 2 is on the way! While I wasn't sold on Hutch to begin with, I actually came to like the guy and some of his friends. I thought his character was well-developed, down-on-his-luck actor, been in rehab twice, but the way he stuck up for Ronnie endeared him to me. He really went to bat for her and now it appears there may be a love interest involved as well. Would love to read more about Matt and Andy, Nadine, and would even hope to find out what happened to another character whose name I won't mention because it might give something away! I am definitely getting more of this author's work! Good job!
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on May 28, 2012
I totally agree with the reviewer who described Robert Gregory Browne's TRIAL JUNKIES as "John Grisham does THE BIG CHILL." Fantastic, twisty mystery, excellent, realistic courtroom drama, and a climax that had me flipping the pages long past my bed time. I really enjoyed "Hutch," the washed-up actor who returns to his hometown after his old college girlfriend is murdered and would love to see more books with this character.

Very well written and thoroughly engaging, this is a really riveting read that I've already recommended to several friends.
on May 28, 2012
Trial Junkies was the second book I have read of Robert Gregory Browne. And I can't give it enough praise. The book grabs you in the first paragraph and doesn't let go until the last page. His writing brings the characters to life and made me believe they could be friends or neighbors. When you think you have the mystery solved, another twist is added and sends you in a different direction. You don't see the ending coming and all I can say is wow. Again excellant read. Whispers in the Dark was the first book of his I read, and that one is a great read too.