- Audio CD (January 28, 1997)
- Number of Discs: 1
- Label: Century Media
- ASIN: B000005HMN
- Average Customer Review: 4.4 out of 5 stars See all reviews (13 customer reviews)
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #263,419 in Music (See Top 100 in Music)
Tribute to Judas Priest: Legends Of Metal
Customers Who Viewed This Item Also Viewed
Top Customer Reviews
1. Helloween-"Hellion/Electric Eye": I have actually heard this in full on one of their fansites, though Andi is not near as good a singer as Rob Halford, he still has a powerful range, and this is a great way to begin.
2. Testament-"Rapid Fire": Chuck can't wail like Halford either (but then again, who can?!) However, this extreme thrash addition to the collection (with death metal growls in place of the falsetto wails) is teriffic, I've actually heard it in full once or twice on Music Choice-Metal.
3. Fate's Warning-"Saints In Hell": The singer of this talented prog-metal band can really scream! One of the best.
4. Mercyful Fate-"The Ripper": This black metal addition to the collection is perfect! King Diamond can wail just as well as Halford, and even with a bit of a gothic ovetone, this is pretty faithful to the original.
5. Strapping Young Lad-"Exciter": Well, whodathunkit? Devin Townsend has a perfect voice to cover this!
6. Doom Squad-"Burning Up": Is that John Bush on vocals? This is not the best, but it still is decent, unlike the next track...
7. Nevermore-"Love Bites": Something is seriously wrong here. I definetely am not in any way denying that Nevermore is awesome. But this cover is about twice as heavy as the original, yet half as fast. Bad.
8. Overkill-"Tyrant": This is not exactly the best on the album, but it certainly beats that awful Nevermore cover. A bit slow though.
9.Read more ›
When I saw the cover of this record, I knew it would be a great buy because I knew that almost every band listed was played in my CD player every day. With thrash metal bands like Kreator, Overkill and Testament on the bill, I knew this record would have double the energy as the original recording. And wouldn't you know it, I was right. With such melodic bands as Helloween, Iced Earth and Fates Warning I knew that the Judas Priest's original sound would be kept and magnified. Once again, I was right.
Nevermore repolished 'Love Bites' and made the song into their own. The sound they created is much heavier and pounding, and yet it retains most of the Priest magic that was in the original. This remake has what most tributes lack - originality.
Kreator's version of 'Grinder' is much much more aggressive, and to retain a thrash metal sound while covering a heavy metal band is very hard. Just like Nevermore, Kreator have added originality to their version of the classic song.
All in all, this tribute album is one of the best tributes ever compiled. With eery band delivering an awesome performance, the metal gods Judas Priest get a deserving acclaim for years of writing quality music and inspiring artists throughout the world.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Some versions were good and some you just cant understand how they made it to the CD. There are some killer bands on here that I know could have done a better job.Published on December 16, 2013 by Richard J. Walden
There have been tribute albums for as long as there have been records, but it wasn't until the nineties that we started seeing such things in heavy metal. Read morePublished on February 3, 2011 by Mark Louis Baumgart
Tribute albums can be notoriously uneven, but by and large Century Media's tribute albums are first rate. Read morePublished on January 8, 2011 by Justin G.
this version is one of the two cd you want the others are scams for your money.buy this one there are many excellent bands doing the best priest covers.Published on May 14, 2009
If I remember right, this is actually the first one I bought of the series of four. I found out later that this one actually came out a year after Legends of Metal Volumes 1 and... Read morePublished on October 30, 2007 by Big Al
The best tribute of Judas Priest so far. I'm not a great fan of the 2nd tribute, but this has some of the best covers.
1)Helloween-Electric Eye. Read more
if ya like priest and legends of metal than this a cd you are not to pass up you have to get it please get this great covers here bye some well known bands such as mercyful fate... Read morePublished on December 16, 1999