BCA Month Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Hallo nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch New Album by Wonderstruck $69.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags hgg17 Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon curbpremiere curbpremiere curbpremiere  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

Trick 'r Treat
Format: DVD|Change

on August 28, 2013
I loved Trick 'r Treat as soon as it started, harking back to films like Creepshow and classic anthology shows
like The Twilight Zone and Outer Limits as well as Tales From The Crypt.
I don't understand why we don't get more films like this? I had heard early on that this was supposed to be the start of a yearly
series of anthology Halloween/Horror films all with the title Trick 'r Treat but unfortunately only the one film
was produced. It's really too bad, especially if you are a fan of Halloween as much as I am. It's my favorite holiday
and I love all of the accompanying movies that play on TV during October. If you don't like Halloween or Trick 'r Treat
you're just not into fun movies with a dark sense of humor! And the Blu-ray edition picture is superb, look up the review on Hi Def Digest, the bible on hi definition reviews.
on March 13, 2015
Great fun and it hasn't been given the respect it deserves. It follows the adventures of several groups of people on Halloween night. Stories include a group of young ladies (including "X-Men" and "True Blood" star Anna Paquin) on the hunt for the right men for their party in the woods, a grouchy old man who lives in a creepy house and is the keeper of a dark secret, a high school principle who takes his love of Halloween very seriously and a band of teens bent on scaring the hell out of the odd girl out only to find themselves in their own personal hell. And all is watched by little Sam dressed as a Jack-O-Lateran with an affinity for suckers.

Produced my Bryan Singer and written and directed by Michael Dougherty, "Trick 'r Treat" stars Oscar and Golden Globe winner Anna Paquin, Brian Cox, Leslie Bibb and Dylan Baker.
on October 5, 2013
What I'd like to know is when in the world is Trick or Treat II ever coming out? They started with these great stories only to stop with the first one. Each year they could be coming out with new Trick or Treat movies like the next one Trick or Treat II. Then the next year Trick or Treat III and so on ... each with different well known actors and great new stories in different towns with the same character of Sam being the focal point of each story like the first one! Geez! I just don't get why the cheesy movies always have series and parts II and III and on and on but movies like this that are the best always stop with the first one!!!!! Uggggg!!!!

My favorite story and scenes in the movie are the ones with the kids going to the Rock Quarry and the story about the bus driver and handicapped kids. They were THE BEST of the whole movie. Wish the whole movie had been based on just this one story with the kids and bus driver and forget about the others with the first young couple, the Principal and his son, the bus driver in his home with his dog at an older age and last the vampire girls. Those were dumb stories. I can see incorporating the old bus driver and his dog in his home with Sam with the kids in the Rock Quarry but that's it. Nothing more. They ruined a lot of the movie I thought with the other stories. Anyway, hope they will continue on with more Sam and more stories every year on DVD for Halloween!
on October 1, 2017
Definitely one of the best not only Halloween and anthology-style movies I've seen. Solid premise excellently executed. The multiple short stories provide some variety in narrative and tie in together to make a creepy and imaginative holiday classic.
Developed from an animated short in 1996 by Michael Dougherty called "Season's Greetings", who made Trick 'r' Treat before making Krampus in 2016. Rumor has it a sequel is in the works, which would be a great thing.
In 2006, this movie,writer/director Mike Dougherty's love letter to all things Halloween proved that the anthology film was alive and well. What we get here are four interconnected stories taking place on Halloween night in a relatively small anonymous American town.

Both morbid, and morbidly funny, we get tales concerning a school principal who moonlights as a vicious killer, a cruel prank that goes horribly wrong, a young virgin's search for that special someone which has a gruesome twist, and finally, a cantankerous old man who dukes it out with a mischievous trick or treating demon (who is basically the mascot of the movie, and ties the four stories together).

All of the stories are pretty good, and for me, none of them really sticks out as being overtly better or worse than the others. It's also a fresh surprise to note that there's plenty of twists and clever turns, fair doses of gruesome violence, and, as I mentioned above, some wickedly dark humor. It actually is rather tense at times, and you could make the argument that it could be legitimately scary.

All I know for sure is that, despite it's overall short running time, it's a lot of fun, is a great mix of horror and laughs, has some good camera work, and a solid ensemble cast, including people such as Dylan Baker, Anna Paquin, and Brian Cox.

All in all, this is a great movie, and you should definitely check it out
on April 25, 2015
This is a really delicious treat for a horror film.

Summary:

It's Halloween night in a little town and everyone is into it. Unbeknownst to them, a little "demon" is loose and his name is Sam. He masquerades as a trick-or-treater and so, goes mostly unseen. It opens with a couple returning home from the Halloween festivities downtown and the wife is pretty tired of the holiday. This story soon transitions into another tale taking place in the same town- a murderous school principal is showing his distaste for trick-or-treaters. This story leads into one featuring some school kids, out on Halloween, who are trying to play a prank on a young girl named Rhonda (myself being high-functioning autistic, I really thing Rhonda is one, too). Another story features out murderous principal again, but this time, he encounters werewolves. The final story (or not?) is where our little Sam "haunts" the house of a very grouchy old man.

Note: Sam only attacks those who break his rules on Halloween.

Pros: (Some light spoiler may be hidden here, but I will list it last) :

1. Great effects

2. Interesting story-telling

3. VERY interesting killer

4. Leaves room for hardcore fans to have fun filling in small blanks (they're not even noticeable IF you're not a hardcore fan)

LASTLY! (5.) Rhonda gets to have her revenge, even if it's not a very pretty one

Cons:

1. Some may disagree with having a "cute" killer and think that that ruins things

2. Some may think it should be unnecessary to have to watch twice to understand the whole story

3. Has a somewhat campy feel (If you don't like campy at all, don't watch)

My thoughts:

Ultimately my favorite horror movie. Although, as I said before when referring to Rhonda, I am an autist. This means I can be highly obsessive over things most people wouldn't even blink at. This is one of my favorite movies for a reason- I have an obsession with Halloween. (EXTREMELY SMALL SPOILER WARNING!) In one scene, one of the children says to Rhonda, "Boy, you must really love Halloween.". Rhonda replies to him with something like, "You mean, Samhain?". He asks, "What?". So she responds with "Samhain, also known as All Hallow's Eve, also known as Halloween. Pre-dating Christianity, the Celtic holiday was celebrated on the one night between autumn and winter when the barrier between the living and the dead was thinnest and often involved rituals that included human sacrifice." (END OF SMALL SPOILER) In this scene, I tend to get worked up, but I know it's just me. I have a large database of knowledge about Halloween that most people don't have access to (I can name over 16 different books I own on the subject if needed). I just want to clarify, for the few that may care, that the information about Halloween presented by Rhonda in this movie has not all been proven to be true. Mostly the bit about human sacrifice being a ritual involved and the part about lumping with belief in the dead spirits with the Celts. I will repeat, I know that most won't care about this, so this is more of a heads-up for anyone else out there who is into these kinds of details.

But overall, this is an amazing movie and I hear tell that a sequel is in the works. A photo from the production of the sequel was released, showing Sam without his mask and instead of his usual childlike outfit, he was wearing long, flowing, pitch black magic robes. I neglected to mention something the movie never points out to the viewers- Sam is not just any little monster. In case you haven't guessed it from the original name of Halloween, "Samhain" and the fact his name is Sam, Sam is actually the force behind the holiday. In other words, he IS the holiday. This is why he attacks when his rules are broken. You hurt him, he hurts back. He goes with "an eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth".

Final words? Most unique, cute little monster I've ever seen in a horror movie. Really neat way of telling the stories, too. Do not skip it over if you like horror films (unless campy stuff bugs you to the extreme).
on July 25, 2017
Where do I start. It's easily one of my favorite Halloween movies and I'm a huge horror movie fan. It has 4 stories in one and the presentation was really well written and your first time through you will be saying oh wow and oh man quite a bit. It's not a blood everywhere movie, it's a bit more story driven with some really good action scenes.
on November 21, 2015
Creepy vignettes set in a small town at Halloween are woven are together and interact with each other in creative and horrific ways. plenty of twists as unsuspecting revelers find out too late the consequences of ignoring Halloween traditions. Little Sam the pumpkin boy is seen in all the vignettes as the Halloween tradition enforcer. Awesome
on November 16, 2012
Years haven't been the kindest on the horror genre, but Trick R Treat is a pure, well crafted, genius, masterpiece of our generation! It takes on a Creepshow like approach except each story is connected to each other. In this contains a School Principal with a murderous secret, 5 teens who are paying there respects to a group of 8 children who were killed on a school bus that fell into the rock quarry, a 22 year old girl who's stalked by a rather vicious admirer, and a old hermit who will be paid a visit by the icon of this movie Sam (he's on the cover.)
This is a perfect mix of Comedy and Horror. The comedy is not done in idiotic ways that spoil the movie for one. And though there is blood and gore, the film doesn't rely on it to create it's scares. In fact the scariest death is actually off screened but is heard. You'll know which one I'm talking about when you see the movie as I don't want to give away any spoilers. Along with the scares and comedy, there are quite a few surprising twists in the movie that I sure didn't see coming. But like I said, I'm not going to ruin it for anyone!
It's a shame that this wasn't originally sent to the theater. I can't get over how wonderful Trick R Treat is. It really keeps the spirit of Halloween alive. From this point forward, watching this each Halloween night will be my tradition.
Trick R Treat gets 5 stars from me easily!!!
on February 19, 2017
Watching this movie every year at Halloween (my favorite holiday!) has become a tradition of mine. It's a great Halloween anthology, perfect for getting you in the spirit of Halloween!!! As a side note: this director's other movie "Krampus" is complete garbage though!