Shop Auto Winter Products Salon Beauty Magazine Deals Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New album by Tim and Faith PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop STEM Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Despicable Me 3 available to buy Despicable Me 3 available to buy Despicable Me 3 available to buy  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 163 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 181 reviews
on June 13, 2016
This second book in the journey of half witch Jade has allowed her to become a little better at who she really is. But no one really knows who fathered her on that mystic night during a called fertility rite. In addition, she is mourning the loss of her adopted sister, Sienna, killed while falling through a portal of golden light. Her attention is soon refocused on a child, Mory, who is the sister of the necromancer boyfriend, killed by Sienna as she lusted after the power that magic brings. Guilt and duty will push Jade into another deadly adventure, as Mory insists Jade is alive. It will take a magical collector, a trip to Seattle, and a stowaway to unravel the tangled politics and gene pool that surrounds Jade. This author has created a world of magic that is both scary (the werewolves), and sweet (the cupcakes), and smells really good (toasted marshmallows, chocolate, Chinese food, anyone!?!), along with a healthy dose of sarcasm and nice shoes! Enjoy!
5 helpful votes
6 helpful votes
on May 18, 2015
So Jade spends this entire book bemoaning the fact that she has been naïve and powerless...and then she continues to stick her head in the sand and whine. She really tried my patience in this book. I tried to cut her some slack since her life has undergone so many changes in the last book, however I didn't respect her behavior. SPOILER: Jade sneaks out through a window although she knows there is present danger outside, and she does it because she is bored. Could she be anymore irresponsible? Or the fact that she never questions Kett's "treasure hunt." Although her interior monologue repeatedly assures the reader that vampires are always accumulating knowledge and power, and are therefore untrustworthy? She's determinedly and willfully clueless! END SPOILER. However, that said, the ending of this book made all the rest of the book worth it to me. Although I did not love this book, as I did the first in the series, I immediately bought book three on the strength of the ending of this book. I couldn't wait to see what happens next to Jade.
3 helpful votes
4 helpful votes
on April 7, 2017
No spoilers.
This series made me a fan of Meghan C. Doidge. The series is set in the current day. Witches, Sorcerers, Shapeshifters, and Vampires inhabit this hidden-in-plain-sight magic system. The pace of the story is fast. The female protagonist is kickass, beautiful and flawed, mostly too humble, surely too nice for her own good. Even the supporting cast characters in this series are rich and lifelike. Read or listen as the audible reader is good.
on August 6, 2017
I've been really enjoying reading this series. So far ALL the characters are absolutely hilarious and the dialogue between them is hilarious. This story continues with new and exciting info about our heroine. Dragons, really? I just LOVE it. Thanks again Meghan, yr a Wonderful writer and I can't wait to read the next.
on April 20, 2017
I enjoyed Meghan Ciana Doidge's first book, but I was surprised and drawn into the deeper, darker world she created in the second. Doidge's characters began to flesh out and Jade began to grow. I was relieved there was less of the silliness of the cupcakes and greatly appreciated the strong build-up to a satisfying and tantalizing ending. Brava
on June 1, 2017
After reading the first book in this series, I was hooked. The second book was a very good follow-up. The characters were filled out and the plot twisted nicely. The ending was a little disconcerting., however. I'm hoping book 3 will close any gaps left from this one. Can't wait!
on September 21, 2014
A warning: I plan to post this review for all three books to make sure potential readers get to see it regardless of the order in which they view each title.

I have now read all three books currently extant in this series. I have not enjoyed a plot-related group of books this much in a very long time. The concept is delightfully weird and the execution is direct and professional.

The characters take precedence over the crazy and entertaining paranormal story, each one drawn in an elaborately three-dimensional manner, and the action and comedy serve only to heighten your love (or hate) of each "person." There are witches and dowers and shape-shifters and sorcerers and demons. And there are cupcakes. Lots and lots of cupcakes. I believe I actually gained three pounds reading the first book.

Others have listed plot points in their reviews, but I think it's better to discover them while reading, so I will say nothing. What I WILL say, though, is that a reader needs to carve out time for these books, for once begun, each one is Very Difficult to Put Down until it has been finished.
on August 17, 2015
The two books I read in this series were both very formulaic and repetitive. The main character/narrator is one-dimensional and very impressed with herself. I just don't see any arc in her personality at all. Note to writers: It is rare to come upon an actual person who constantly references her own gorgeous eyes, curvy shape, and shiny shiny hair. We get it... she's pretty... but the constant narrative describing her physically makes her even more vapid that I assume she is supposed to come off. I know this sounds harsh, or like I am expecting too much from this genre, but there are many lighthearted, fun, somewhat fluffy books that I enjoy thoroughly. These just didn't hit the mark in any way. No character development, super predictable plot lines, grammatical errors, and an unintentionally unreliable narrator.
on August 7, 2015
I loved the first book, and as soon as I finished it I rushed to buy the second one. I like the second one overall, but the mention of chocolate and and the sweets could've been toned down just a bit. But on a much happier note, the mention of sweets did make me really hungry. ;) I ate all of the chocolate within my reach.

I didn't like how she always let others make her decisions for her, it was like she just let them decide her fate, while she stood off to the side and made food. It may just be me, but I found that really annoying.

I think the book is amazing, other than the decision making. It's a great book, while it isn't exactly a reread, but if you're looking through the reviews to see if you should buy it, I highly recommend it if you read the first one and liked it.
on October 20, 2015
Jade, the main character, continues to grow and learn more about her magic and herself. Most of the new characters are interesting, but some come out of left field or are not fully developed. In addition, not everything hangs together quite as cohesively as it did in the first book and it ends on an odd sort of cliffhanger, which is why I only gave the book four stars. Nevertheless, the book is enjoyable and it is nice to learn more about Desmond and Kett. Scarlett is a great addition and Ms. Doidge does a credible job of explaining why she was not more present in Jade's life growing up. The ending is very intriguing and I will be keen to see what happens next.