Industrial Deals Beauty MagazinestoInspire STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 47 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 52 reviews
on January 16, 2014
Tritium Gambit (Max and Miranda) By Erik Hyrkas

I've said it before and I'll continue saying that humor is subjective and so are novels like this when they are slathered in it. This one also contains a lot of pop references. And the novel itself reads like a redo of Men in Black movies. Add in a little Buckaroo Banzi and Howard the Duck.

The plot if fairly simple; Max and Miranda are the two loose cannons of the Intergalactic Secret Service. They hunt down aliens that land on earth with the intent of causing havoc. They are both in visiting their injured partners and are about to be assigned together because some desk jockey thinks they might just finish each other off.

Captain Johnson is their commander and Wendy is their mission coordinator. And before they can leave the ground they pick up one more member to the team, Tyler, an old acquaintance of Max. Max is not excited about any of this because he'd rather work alone.

The Agent are all non-human or part human with special abilities that help in their work to secure Earths blissfulness at being unaware of alien influences.

The story contains a lot of references to actors and singers and movies and other pop references as it goes along. The characters wear tee shirts with some sort of pop references.

I could have probably given this an easy five star had the characters engaged me just a bit more than they did. I'm not exactly sure why I couldn't get into them enough to really care about what happened to them. If they'd captured my attention it would have made up for some of the uneasiness I felt with the plot. The humor again is subjective and I could catch most of it but sometimes I wasn't sure. There is a place half way through the novel when I feel like it enters some really poorly constructed MMORPG when Max, who has extra life and health, has to go on a quest to acquire 100 special snakes in order to get enough fuel to get them back to Earth.

Overall it was interesting though. And Max is nearly indestructible what with having four hearts and all. Although he could die he still is almost the perfect indestructible character whose only flaw seems to be that he gets all of his partners injured; sometimes fatally.

It's a fun read SFF mostly fantasy that stretches your limits with suspension of reality. If you can catch the pop references and the humor it will add to the enjoyment. (one small spoiler::) It all comes to a satisfactory conclusion leaving room for you to decide when you want to pick up the next installment of the adventures of Max and Miranda.

J.L. Dobias
on January 18, 2017
This was a fun read although I have to admit not something I'd read every day. The author wrote a scifi with humor. Although some of the jokes were predictable, overall it made me smile. On the flip side of the coin, those jokes sometimes removed some credibility to the story itself, and to the characters, kind of the way Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy might do. So if you are a fan of the latter, which I am not, you might want to consider trying this book.
on February 17, 2012
This is one of the most enjoyable books I've read in a long time. The characters are well developed and you find yourself rooting for them through their many adventures. There were parts that made me chuckle out loud and really bad puns - used on purpose - that made me groan - all the while keeping me thoroughly entertained. I really liked the fact that the author switched back and forth between the two main characters. Done poorly it may have made the story choppy, but it was actually done well so it helped keep the narrative flowing smoothly. If you're looking for a book with hard scifi tech appeal this isn't it, but if you're looking for a darn good, entertaining story you wouldn't be embarrassed to share with your teenager give this a try.
on April 5, 2012
Warning - to those with addictive personalities. This book is like your drug of choice, candy or potato chips.

The premise: There are those who would like to see the human race reach its full potential. That means keeping people safe from the meanies in the universe from killing us off, if we don't manage to do it to ourselves.

So here come the secret agents working hard to keep us humans alive in our world. Two of them are Max and Miranda. They have special capabilities and certain vulnerabilities. The capabilities are physical and otherworldly. The vulnerabilities happen to be to each other.

By the end of the book you'll be addicted and screaming at the author, Erik Hyrkas, to hurry up and bring us another book of action and adventure in what will be a wonderful series.
on March 19, 2016
This is Men in Black on steroids. The strange "near humans" that protect us from the real aliens are believable and well thought out. The Wendigo that they fight has some very extreme characteristics that keep the protagonists on their toes. The action is practically nonstop with twists and turns enough to keep any adrenaline junky up all night. I wish the environment were a little more defined, but it doesn't take away from the story and, if truth be known, is probably more a personal preference than a miss by the author. This is a book well worth the time it takes to read. Enjoy!
on February 15, 2013
This book reminds me of the Brewster Rocket cartoons. Max is not particularly bright, but he is a hero who recognizes his strengths and failings, and perseveres regardless of hardships. If you are looking for some fun reading, with an interesting plot, I highly recommend this book. I suggest that you need to push through the first chapter because it took me that long to get over my initial expectation of serious spy/hero stuff and accept Max for what he is, an entertaining cross between hero and buffoon.
on December 28, 2012
I love science fiction and fantasy. I love books that have enough reality to make them believable. I love comedy and books that make me laugh. I love mysteries. I love characters that I can connect to.

I HATE books that don't engage me right away; in fact, I rarely finish them.

This book has everything I love and nothing I don't. So many funny parts. Even the scary parts had enough humor so that they really weren't scary or at least not as intense. And since I generally laugh when things get too intense in my life; I really love books that do the same. Twenty years ago, books had to fit into one genre. It wasn't okay for a book to fall into multiple genres. Today it gets more and more acceptable; and we get to reap the rewards with books that are superbly entertaining like, Tritium Gambit.

If you want a book that is an entertaining journey and a very easy read, this book is exactly what you are looking for! I will definitely be reading this one again and again!
on February 13, 2015
The story was very fast-paced, which was made it more interesting to read. I felt there were too many cliches and references to pop culture. If the story takes place as part of an intergallactic allegiance, it seems as if some of the references and connections were too Earth-related.

The writing style and wording got to be overly repetitive at certain points, as well. It seems like the writer is fairly inexperienced, so the relationships and conflicts were a little superficial and underdeveloped throughout the story.

The concept was very fun and entertaining. I would read it again, but I hope future writings by this author improve.
on April 9, 2012
This is exactly what my title says: A really fun read. The author has a nice sense of humor and uses an interesting device of switching the first person narrative between the two main characters, Max and Miranda.

The overall concept is that there is a galactic security force that insures that "immature" cultures, like those of Earth, are allowed to develop on their own without threat or interference from the various deadly life forms in the galaxy. Amusingly, the two main characters do this by interfering quite a bit. The Story moves right along and engages the reader to keep you interested. There are lots of pop culture references and jokes that I found myself chuckling at more than once. There are a few plot holes and a few inconsistencies, but far less than some of the Amazon self-published books.

Overall I'd say this is a very entertaining read and I would definitely purchase the next one in the series.
on February 4, 2013
This book is a knock-off of the Men In Black movies, but with an interesting twist that I won't reveal. It involves lots of aliens with their inscrutable cultures and is also peppered with current cultural references, some subtle, some not so subtle.

I'm giving this one 5/5 stars because I only noticed a couple of minor errors, using "site" instead of "sight" and a couple of mix-ups between "your" and "you're". However, these were so minor they didn't detract from the reading at all. I knew who the baddies were well in advance of the reveal because I picked up on the writer's subtle hints, not because they were badly written, and I have to say I thought the confrontations were unpredictable and entertaining.

I'm looking forward to reading more of this author's work.