Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch New album by morrisey Electronics Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon soul2soul soul2soul soul2soul  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on March 4, 2017
I'm not a fan of gratuitous profanity or body parts/functions humor, i.e. farts, references to elimination, sex acts, who can p*ss the farthest, fisting, cutting off balls, etc. Those aspects set my teeth on edge, but the plot is so inventive, and the performances so uniformly good that I enjoyed this in spite of them. The opening was great- I laughed heartily at the fake movie reviews of the individual actors' past efforts (especially the one with Robert Downey Jr. and Toby McGuire, hilarious). In a nutshell, what was best about this movie for me were the performances, the acting range evinced by all concerned, but especially Robert Downey Jr. and Jack Black (even though Black was REALLY crude when playing his "real" self). Downey Jr. was fascinating. Ditto with Tom Cruise's CREEPY chairman of the board. Hard to believe suave Cruise could be so... repellent. Dynamic acting, loads of chemistry between the leads, inventive filmmaking, good cinematography, great action scenes, recommended!
6 helpful votes
7 helpful votes
on October 31, 2017
This movie never went full-retard. But it went fully into my heart and it squeezed it with some Tom Cruise dance moves. This movie is something I can only describe as: Booty Sweat. If you haven't watched it, please, just give it a chance.
on March 29, 2016
Tropic Thunder is a hilarious thrill-ride of violence and Tom Cruise swearing up a storm. Serious, if you have been missing out on some swearing in your life, get it from Tom Cruise in this movie. Other good things are happening too. Explosions, death, acting advice; it's all here. See Robert Downy Jr. and Jack Black as you have never seen them before! (Unless you have already seen this movie and just don't own it yet. At which point, why are you reading this? You know if you liked it or not.) A good performance by all, as long as you are expecting the performances they give and not something else.
on March 16, 2014
Do not watch this movie if you are looking for an accurate depiction of the Vietnam experience- how ever I am will to bet this is an accurate parody of the Hollywood life. ie.Tugg Speedman is portraying a perennial hero who does high-end go nowhere action movies- with the same theme and solution to everyone of his problems-as if he is mocking Tom Cruise- which he. Conversly Tom Cruise is playing the part of Les Grossman, an overly obsessed Movie Mogul who only looks at the cost of production and the bottom line. (a quote)
Tuggs agent Rick Peck "Let me get this straight. You want me to let my client of 15 years, one of my best friends, die in the jungle alone, for some money and a G5?
Les Grossman:" Yes".
Rick Peck: [pause] "A G5 airplane?"
Les Grossman: [whispering] "Yes... and lots of money... playaaaa! "

Written by Ben Stiller- this movie has a great cast of characters.- I cannot do it justice within this domain
I get something new each time I watch it-
on August 9, 2013
Ben Stiller, Robert Downey Jr., and Jack Black star in Tropic Thunder, the story of a film crew aiming to make the most expensive war movie ever. However, things soon go wrong in the hands of an inexperienced director, and the actors find themselves in Vietnam-with real bad guys. Hilarious comedy ensues, and some of the jokes will have your stomach hurting from laughter. Robert Downey Jr. gives an excellent performance in this film, playing Australian actor Kirk Lazarus (who plays an African-American sergeant in the movie). He seriously could have won Best Supporting Actor, had the Dark Knight come out another year (RIP, Heath). Each character has their own quirks and funny moments, and some running jokes throughout the movie actually stay funny! All of the other actors in the movie give great performances as well, especially Tom Cruise and Nick Nolte. If you're easily offended, however, you probably won't like this film as much. It makes many jokes about sex, mental retardation (although more of the actors who portray mentally retarded people in their films), and racism. Nothing is super-offensive, however. In the end, this movie is great if you want to have a couple really funny and entertaining hours. Hope this helped!
on April 2, 2017
great movie to have
2 helpful votes
on July 31, 2014
Robert Downey Jr is a Great actor. Chaplin, Less Than Zero and now Tropic Thunder. The roles in these movies were challenging. He pulled them all off. In Tropic Thunder I think a portrayed a Brother well. If you didn't know who he was you would think he was a Brother. He was convincing and funny. He is the reason for this purchase. Just to see his character makes this movie a great buy.
on August 22, 2013
Of course, my judgment of comedy is warped by having grown up in the era of Jack Benny, Fred Allen, Easy Aces, et al (Radio) and W.C Fields, Cary Grant, Marx Brothers, et al(Movies). So I make no claim to represent the current movie-going, DVD buying generation. I found it to be amusing, no outright laughs, inevitable dead spots; overall, worth having watched although probably not one to lose sleep over missing. No need to repeat that the language is not that common among many Americans and that being offensive to various and sundry groups was deliberate and frequent. If these things bother you or the group with whom you will watch this on television, giving it a miss will not cut you off from anything you will be sorry for. It does have some fine performers in it, mostly chewing the scenery (as they were supposed to) but still fun to watch.
2 helpful votes
on September 12, 2016
OK, so as sick as this movie can be, and I don't like overly sick or stupid styled comedy, I just can't deny that this movie is so damn funny! Robert D. is just... well, let me say that when I first saw this, I didn't know who'd be in the movie, and I'm actually embarrassed to say I didn't know it was him, when I 1st saw him. Not a movie for my grandparents for example, but my 16 year old daughter, my ex husband, and others like them, all couldn't help but laugh through this one.
on May 9, 2016
Whoa, I was super surprised at how funny this was. I hate Robert Downey Jr. I hate his acting, his face, his whole person is crap. However, he made this movie. He was totally hilarious. Ben Stiller was his typical stupid and funny self, Jack Black I thought was great too. The whole team did so well together.

This is a satire. It's an action movie that step-by-step makes fun of many action cliches, where I think Rambo is central among some others. I can see why this movie was so highly rated.