Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Best Books of the Month Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheTick TheTick TheTick  Three new members of the Echo family Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now TG18PP_gno

on February 26, 2016
Hugely funny for fans of war movie spoofs and of Ben Stiller's sense of humor. I don't typically like gory movies, but this one made me laugh because they did such a good job of exaggerating everything to the point of silliness. I love Robert Downey, Jr.'s role as an Australia superstar method actor who becomes so wrapped up in his role that he really believes he's a black man, irritating the others and especially ticking off the only real black man in the cast. Ben Stiller plays an air-headed egotistical star whose one claim to fame is wearing thin on audiences after too many predictable sequels of his action adventure series, and Jack Black is a hooked on drugs movie star of a series of movies that parody Eddy Murphy's Nutty Professor roles. Tom Cruise's scenes as the foul-mouthed entertainment execute Les Grossman are priceless, and Matthew McConaughey is great as the shallow talent agent.
on February 21, 2018
OMG... this is so good. As a baby boomer I seldom watch any media about Vietnam. It is just too painful, but this hits just the right spoof quality. It is a COMEDY. A comedy that many won't like. That's okay. Those of us who like smart comedy will love this. I had to look up the palyers to see how RDJ plays this. You won't recognize him... and his voice. Wow. Even Tom cruise is a cameo that has to be seen.

The special effects are over the top. as they should be.

Saying anything specific would be a spoiler. Watch it. I rented it first than had to buy it. So good.
on June 11, 2013
I had been meaning to see this movie since it hit the theaters in '08 or so but it was never a pressing desire. As the days passed I never heard anyone raving about it so I sufficed with not seeing it. Just recently I decided to watch and I am so glad I did. I almost cried laughing.

I'm not a huge Stiller fan but I'll watch his movies. I'm even less of a Jack Black fan but I won't go out of my way to avoid his movies. And I had never even seen Robert Downey Jr. in a comedy. I will say this: Downey Jr. was classic, Stiller was good, and Black held his own. Now for the X-Factor; the guy who didn't headline but was down right a riot nonetheless... Tom Cruise!!! He was excellent in his small yet crucial role. I never knew he could be so funny.

Listen... this movie no doubt pushes the envelope which is one of the reasons it's so funny. The humor is not for everyone as they toe the line with a few taboo topics: racial humor, gay humor and even jokes at the expense of the mentally handicapped. I felt guilty for laughing but they were just so funny. I could go on and on about this movie but I will end with saying: just watch the movie.
on March 29, 2016
Tropic Thunder is a hilarious thrill-ride of violence and Tom Cruise swearing up a storm. Serious, if you have been missing out on some swearing in your life, get it from Tom Cruise in this movie. Other good things are happening too. Explosions, death, acting advice; it's all here. See Robert Downy Jr. and Jack Black as you have never seen them before! (Unless you have already seen this movie and just don't own it yet. At which point, why are you reading this? You know if you liked it or not.) A good performance by all, as long as you are expecting the performances they give and not something else.
on March 16, 2014
Do not watch this movie if you are looking for an accurate depiction of the Vietnam experience- how ever I am will to bet this is an accurate parody of the Hollywood life. ie.Tugg Speedman is portraying a perennial hero who does high-end go nowhere action movies- with the same theme and solution to everyone of his problems-as if he is mocking Tom Cruise- which he. Conversly Tom Cruise is playing the part of Les Grossman, an overly obsessed Movie Mogul who only looks at the cost of production and the bottom line. (a quote)
Tuggs agent Rick Peck "Let me get this straight. You want me to let my client of 15 years, one of my best friends, die in the jungle alone, for some money and a G5?
Les Grossman:" Yes".
Rick Peck: [pause] "A G5 airplane?"
Les Grossman: [whispering] "Yes... and lots of money... playaaaa! "

Written by Ben Stiller- this movie has a great cast of characters.- I cannot do it justice within this domain
I get something new each time I watch it-
Tropic Thunder has a strong impact on most viewers,and for me, it goes straight to the funny bone! Whenever I watch it, it always gets me laughing. I don't think a lot of people realize that it is supposed to be a satire, poking fun at just about everything and everyone that comes into the cross-hairs, (especially the movie industry), but not in a mean-spirited way. Many reviewers have already addressed the movie in great detail, however, I'll just add my two cents about the theatrical vs. director's cut versions. I personally much prefer the director's cut, but either version is great. I just think the extra scenes (13 minutes worth) add several more funny moments. Just be careful when you order the DVD to check the run time on whatever version you purchase, as the director's cut is around 120 minutes, and the theater version around 107 minutes. (Sometimes they use the reviews interchangeably, so you can't always go by the comments.) That way you will end up with the version you choose.
on January 7, 2018
Fantastic movie with a legendary cast! I love each character in it but Robert Downey Jr.'s performance of character Kirk Lazarus playing Sgt. Lincoln Osiris rises to the film heavens above like sweet incense and nectar offerings to the film gods.
on January 25, 2018
Funny movie that makes fun of Hollywood. The movie is crude at times, definitely not PC, and has some childish and stupid humor, but it is good for a laugh, or to work on your dance moves at the end. Arrived quickly.
on July 30, 2015
Some genuine laughs and a great premise. Jack Black's character gets annoying way before the end, but Stiller carries the ball throughout very nicely. I don't know why Downey got critical praise for his role- the one joke underlying his character wears off soon- but nevertheless the overall pacing and, yes, the manic pyromaniac effects kept me watching. Leads me to wonder - when will Stiller get a serious role? I'd like to see him stretch as an actor.
on December 26, 2014
Among the funniest movies I've ever seen. The characters are just great and the actors chosen for the roles are perfect. In part a spoof of serious Vietnam War films; another part just novel comedic genius. Having seen all the spoofed war movies Tropic Thunder had a particular appeal for me. I've watched it more than five time over the years and laughed each time.