Customer Reviews: Tropic Thunder (Director's Cut) [Blu-ray]
Oct16 Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 $25 Back with $50 Purchase Cozy Knits Book 2 or More Hours of House Cleaning on Amazon pbskids pbskids pbskids  All-New Echo Dot Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Cycling on Amazon STEM

Format: Blu-ray|Change

on November 21, 2008
There's no doubt that Tropic Thunder is one of the funniest movies of the year- if not THE funniest movie of the year. I remember seeing in the theater and laughing so hard I couldn't breathe. I was excited when I found out that there was an unrated DC coming out... 2 discs, and 15 more minutes more footage.

However, as much as I gotta say the movie rocks, I have to say: BUY THE THEATRICAL CUT INSTEAD. The unrated version slows the movie down a bit, and most of the added stuff doesn't seem to fit in. They changed some funny lines, and even took some out as well. In fact some of the added stuff makes the movie feel a lot longer than it really is, and after awhile the movie seems repetitive, which is one of the few things that killed the movie for me.

So if you're planning on buying the DVD, get the single disc rated version instead... this movie is definitely one of the funniest I've seen, and I definitely look forward to owning it, but really, just get the theatrical. It's MUCH better.
2222 comments| 324 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 19, 2008
I never understood why Downey, Jr. received job after job after being released from prison. I knew he was a good actor, but his portrayal of Iron Man and his performance in this movie was just phenomenal (I never saw the Charlie Chaplin movie). I know this movie offended some, but my husband and I are Black and we missed some of the dialogue in this movie from laughing so hard. We were picking out family members who really talk like that! This movie is hilarious. It's unfortunate that Oscars aren't considered for these types of movies/performances. All of the characters in this movie contributed to it's pleasing experience, however, RDJ stole EVERY SCENE he was apart of. Great Job, RDJ!!! I'm now one of your biggest fans!!!
2222 comments| 175 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 4, 2009
Yes, the movie is a little too long - and the hardest laughs come in the first 10 minutes - but apart from Robert Downey Jr. doing an awesome job - I thought Tom Cruise stole this movie.

Now - I am no Tom Cruise fan whatsoever, perhaps the opposite - but his two 5-minute appearances together with his antics during the closing credits made me watch it over and over with my sides splitting from laughing so hard :)

The character is rumored to be based on Ben Stiller's agent. If so, I hope I never meet the guy :))
You'll laugh but this movie isn't for the easily offended. Heck, even a few hard-to-offend viewers will cringe, too. A comedy hasn't had this much in-your-face political incorrectness since Blazing Saddles.

You'll be worn out by the end of this two-hour movie but that's not necessarily a bad thing. The hardest laughs come all too quickly before the film settles down to a slower pace.

The story follows a group of high-maintenance actors on the set of a Vietnam war movie that is spinning out of control and likely to become the all-time box office flop, pushing aside Cutthroat Island,The Adventures of Pluto Nash and Basic Instinct 2.

Ben Stiller has the most screen time but Robert Downey Jr. steals the scenes as an Australian method actor who manages to eclipse Robert De Niro's famed transformation in Raging Bull.

Jack Black (in a nod to Eddie Murphy's The Nutty Professor), Brandon T. Jackson, Jay Baruchel round out the rest of the main acting troupe. In smaller roles, Nick Nolte portrays the author of the book, Tropic Thunder, which "got" the movie deal (there's an in-joke). Matthew McConaughey appears as Stiller's TiVo-crazed agent and Tom Cruise appears nearly unrecognizable in creepy make-up as the film's producer. Not a single actor displays anything approaching subtlety or sanity.

One final warning: skip the DVD extras at your own risk. The viral video for MTV is hilarious.
on December 15, 2008
I'm so embarrassed to say this but I love this movie so much, just bloody love it. I cannot even remember when something made me laugh so hard that I kept going back and watching certain scenes over and over. Robert Downey Jr.'s comeback is complete. As a 'black dude', he just nails it and never lets go. Believe me, you get over feeling weird about it immediatly, it's just too good, too freakin' authentic and hilarious- but NOT disrespectful. He's so good, so perfect. And JB...When Jack Black is `in character' in character, his New York accent literally made me cry. The skinny guy with the guts hanging out, hilarious, Hamlet 2, hilarious, just everything comes together perfectly. Nick Nolte? Nick Nolte?!

And it's all due to Ben Stiller who literally took every bit of his successes (Zoolander) and failures (Heartbreak Kid) and created this just absolutely pitch perfect comedy. It's been so long since I could say that a movie made me pee my pants with delight. Thank you, Ben Stiller, for the gleeful humiliation. I'm glad I was it at home in front of my Sony BRAVIA KDL-46XBR6 46" LCD TV when it happened. Yep, Mother Nature's not the only one who pissed her pantsuite.

Just one bad thing, Tom Cruise was creepy. Normally, I don't mind him too bad but in this movie, he was creepy and not fun creepy, just creepy. I think Stiller thought it would be fun to have him being so outrageous and yeah, it's fun but it pushed the creepy envelope for me. Tom Cruise is just creepy for me and I just think he's, well, creepy.
44 comments| 26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 23, 2015
Tropic Thunder is a hilarious comedy with an all-star cast. "Im a dude, playing a dude, disguised as another dude!" A popular line from white Australian turned black American actor (Robert Downey Jr) which more or less describes the plot of the movie. A group of actors are shooting an expensive action film on location when things continue go south. This film stars RDJ, Ben Stiller, Jack Black, Jay Baruchel, Nick Nolte, Danny McBride, Matthew McConaughey, Brandon T Jackson, and an unrecognizable Tom Cruise.

This movie while hilarious, was also met with some controversy mostly because of RDJ's use of blackface. It was also met with controversy because of some of the language, mostly pertaining to Ben Stiller's characters most popular role of "Simple Jack" in which he played a mentally handicaped person.
on April 5, 2009
There aren't many movies that live up to the hype seen on previews and ads. Fewer still in the comedy genre that might have a shot at an Oscar. But TROPIC THUNDER does both thanks to a sturdy screenplay, perfect acting, and some of the funniest dialogue you'll hear this year.

Standing out amongst other ridiculous comedies that often go for the cheap-shot, Tropic Thunder hits higher comedic notes thanks to a plethora of items. First is the screenplay. From the VERY BEGINNING of the film, you immerse yourself in these characters' lives. My advice to movie-watchers is to show up early and watch the previews, as you're in for a not-so-subtle surprise. The "faux-previews" were an excellent way to introduce the characters and get an immediate feel for who they were. And who are they? Ben Stiller (Night at the Museum) stars as Tugg Speedman, an actor on the downward slide of success. Having been a big action star (think Sly Stallone), Tugg is having difficulties procuring decent roles. Although Stiller does a fine job as the actor-turned ...well, he doesn't hit the mark in terms of losing himself in the part like others did (see below)...

Jack Black (Nacho Libre) is Jeff Portnoy, a two-bit actor who's comedies are all about gaseous releases ("Everybody laughs at me just because I fart!"). He's also an addict and when he tries to clean up in the jungles of Vietnam, Black turns in some of the funniest bit lines of the film (many of which I can't state here and earned this film its firm R rating). In terms of acting history, Portnoy's follows similar terrain as that of Eddie Murphy in his fat suit films.

Brandon T. Jackson stars as Alpha Chino (need I say more? Yes? Okay). A rough, tough, black man with a gentler -- shall we say -- feministic side, Jackson battles his sexuality as well as his ethnicity.

Jay Baruchel (Knocked Up) comes on as Kevin Sandusky, the only "normal" guy in this cadre of demented and damaged actors. He envies their acting histories and has a bit of hero worship going on with one of them. He also turns out to be the glue that helps hold the gang together. Think Tom Hanks in Saving Private Ryan and you'll be close.

And saving the absolute best for last, we have bad-boy Robert Downey Jr. (Iron Man) as Kirk Lazurus, a confused white man gone black, and lost amidst his multiple character personalities. Watching him peel back his personas toward the end of the film was sheer genius. Lazurus so immerses himself in-character that he doesn't come out "until the special features on the DVD." He's also tough to deal with. And he's an Aussie. And he's a great actor. Sound like anyone you know? Russell Crowe should rapidly come to mind.

The screenplay must get notice here, too. And mentioning that Justin Theroux had his hand in it. This is the same Theroux who starred in the sensational series Six Feet Under. He seems to have understood how to come up with comedy that isn't Dumb and Dumber, and hits the mark head-on.

The dialogue is simply astounding, especially when coupled with these well-knowns in the comedic field. But Downey Jr. is the real star here, delivering his lines with flawless precision and in a voice that irritates the heck out of Alpha Chino, a real black guy who finds Lazurus' constant in-characterness to be grating and insulting.

This is truly a phenomenal piece of cinema, with action and comedy meshed so well together that there's not a single moment for the mind to rest.

Oscar worthy? Abso-frigin-lutely!
on September 2, 2014
This is a CLASSIC comedy - I do NOT care what the naysayers have commented! If you are in the mood for a good old belly laugh - or fifty - actually a continuous laugh from beginning to end - this is your movie! The beginning "credits" get you started with "Booty Sweat" and Tom Cruise takes you home with the FUNNIEST character dance I have ever seen in the ending credits! It took me a while to actually realize it was HIM when I first saw this masterpiece of contemporary comedic antics! Just have a seat with some "Booty Sweat" and "Bust a Nut Bars," and make SURE to grab some kleenex, because you'll laugh until you cry! EXCELLENT!!!
on February 21, 2016
This is a review of this particular Blu-ray and not the film itself.

This extended Director's Cut (120 minutes, 1 disc) features English 5.1 Dolby TrueHD, French 5.1 Dolby Digital, and Spanish 5.1 Dolby Digital, as well as two commentaries: a Filmmaker Commentary with Ben Stiller, Justin Theroux, Stuart Cornfeld, Jeff Mann, John Toll and Greg Hayden; and a Cast Commentary with Stiller, Jack Black, and Robert Downey Jr. Available subtitles are English, English SDH, French, Spanish, and Portugese. As far as I can tell, the DC is the only version of the film currently available on R1 Blu-ray, though I'd prefer to own the theatrical cut as I've found the added scenes to be not particularly worthwhile.

There are plenty of extra features, including Before the Thunder, The Hot LZ, Blowing S*** Up, Designing the Thunder, The Cast of Tropic Thunder, Rain of Madness, Make-up Test with Tom Cruise, Deleted Scenes/Extended Sequences/Alternate Ending, Full Mags, MTV Movie Awards - Tropic Thunder, and BD-Live. The disc is packaged in an eco-friendly case with large portions of plastic cut from underneath the disc holder and the large recycling logo on the left side.
review image review image review image review image review image
on January 2, 2012
This movie is absolutely and positively one of the funniest ever. It is definitely not for children. I think that Robert Downy Jr. should have been nominated for an OSCAR; and Brandon T. Jackson proved his ability to 'hold his own' with the big boys. This was definitely his break out role. Those two stood out for me although the entire cast was magnificent. What about that Tom Cruise.....who knew? Who knew his comedic range?????? Great movie from all aspects.