Beauty Best Books of the Month Women's Block Sandals nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. Introducing Fire TV Cube Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon theaffairS4 theaffairS4 theaffairS4  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now Start your Baby Registry

on November 23, 2015
Tropic Thunder is a hilarious comedy with an all-star cast. "Im a dude, playing a dude, disguised as another dude!" A popular line from white Australian turned black American actor (Robert Downey Jr) which more or less describes the plot of the movie. A group of actors are shooting an expensive action film on location when things continue go south. This film stars RDJ, Ben Stiller, Jack Black, Jay Baruchel, Nick Nolte, Danny McBride, Matthew McConaughey, Brandon T Jackson, and an unrecognizable Tom Cruise.

This movie while hilarious, was also met with some controversy mostly because of RDJ's use of blackface. It was also met with controversy because of some of the language, mostly pertaining to Ben Stiller's characters most popular role of "Simple Jack" in which he played a mentally handicaped person.
4 people found this helpful
on July 28, 2017
I watched this blu ray all the way through from the deleted scenes and extras if you can get passed some of the offensive stuff and enjoy the humor this is a straight up funny movie that will keep you laughing from beginning to end. Only question left to ask when will there be a part 2 since we got trump in office aka les Grossman which by the way Tom Cruise does some excellent acting in this movie cause some of the best Hollywood agents do act like that in real life. So if you enjoy a great laugh and want to see some stuff not even shown on cable tv this is the movie for you.

Id recommend this movie to anybody who having a bad day and just need to laugh once one while!
your pal cutlass50008
on February 26, 2016
Hugely funny for fans of war movie spoofs and of Ben Stiller's sense of humor. I don't typically like gory movies, but this one made me laugh because they did such a good job of exaggerating everything to the point of silliness. I love Robert Downey, Jr.'s role as an Australia superstar method actor who becomes so wrapped up in his role that he really believes he's a black man, irritating the others and especially ticking off the only real black man in the cast. Ben Stiller plays an air-headed egotistical star whose one claim to fame is wearing thin on audiences after too many predictable sequels of his action adventure series, and Jack Black is a hooked on drugs movie star of a series of movies that parody Eddy Murphy's Nutty Professor roles. Tom Cruise's scenes as the foul-mouthed entertainment execute Les Grossman are priceless, and Matthew McConaughey is great as the shallow talent agent.
on February 21, 2018
OMG... this is so good. As a baby boomer I seldom watch any media about Vietnam. It is just too painful, but this hits just the right spoof quality. It is a COMEDY. A comedy that many won't like. That's okay. Those of us who like smart comedy will love this. I had to look up the palyers to see how RDJ plays this. You won't recognize him... and his voice. Wow. Even Tom cruise is a cameo that has to be seen.

The special effects are over the top. as they should be.

Saying anything specific would be a spoiler. Watch it. I rented it first than had to buy it. So good.
on June 11, 2013
I had been meaning to see this movie since it hit the theaters in '08 or so but it was never a pressing desire. As the days passed I never heard anyone raving about it so I sufficed with not seeing it. Just recently I decided to watch and I am so glad I did. I almost cried laughing.

I'm not a huge Stiller fan but I'll watch his movies. I'm even less of a Jack Black fan but I won't go out of my way to avoid his movies. And I had never even seen Robert Downey Jr. in a comedy. I will say this: Downey Jr. was classic, Stiller was good, and Black held his own. Now for the X-Factor; the guy who didn't headline but was down right a riot nonetheless... Tom Cruise!!! He was excellent in his small yet crucial role. I never knew he could be so funny.

Listen... this movie no doubt pushes the envelope which is one of the reasons it's so funny. The humor is not for everyone as they toe the line with a few taboo topics: racial humor, gay humor and even jokes at the expense of the mentally handicapped. I felt guilty for laughing but they were just so funny. I could go on and on about this movie but I will end with saying: just watch the movie.
3 people found this helpful
on March 29, 2016
Tropic Thunder is a hilarious thrill-ride of violence and Tom Cruise swearing up a storm. Serious, if you have been missing out on some swearing in your life, get it from Tom Cruise in this movie. Other good things are happening too. Explosions, death, acting advice; it's all here. See Robert Downy Jr. and Jack Black as you have never seen them before! (Unless you have already seen this movie and just don't own it yet. At which point, why are you reading this? You know if you liked it or not.) A good performance by all, as long as you are expecting the performances they give and not something else.
on March 16, 2014
Do not watch this movie if you are looking for an accurate depiction of the Vietnam experience- how ever I am will to bet this is an accurate parody of the Hollywood life. ie.Tugg Speedman is portraying a perennial hero who does high-end go nowhere action movies- with the same theme and solution to everyone of his problems-as if he is mocking Tom Cruise- which he. Conversly Tom Cruise is playing the part of Les Grossman, an overly obsessed Movie Mogul who only looks at the cost of production and the bottom line. (a quote)
Tuggs agent Rick Peck "Let me get this straight. You want me to let my client of 15 years, one of my best friends, die in the jungle alone, for some money and a G5?
Les Grossman:" Yes".
Rick Peck: [pause] "A G5 airplane?"
Les Grossman: [whispering] "Yes... and lots of money... playaaaa! "

Written by Ben Stiller- this movie has a great cast of characters.- I cannot do it justice within this domain
I get something new each time I watch it-
on August 9, 2013
Ben Stiller, Robert Downey Jr., and Jack Black star in Tropic Thunder, the story of a film crew aiming to make the most expensive war movie ever. However, things soon go wrong in the hands of an inexperienced director, and the actors find themselves in Vietnam-with real bad guys. Hilarious comedy ensues, and some of the jokes will have your stomach hurting from laughter. Robert Downey Jr. gives an excellent performance in this film, playing Australian actor Kirk Lazarus (who plays an African-American sergeant in the movie). He seriously could have won Best Supporting Actor, had the Dark Knight come out another year (RIP, Heath). Each character has their own quirks and funny moments, and some running jokes throughout the movie actually stay funny! All of the other actors in the movie give great performances as well, especially Tom Cruise and Nick Nolte. If you're easily offended, however, you probably won't like this film as much. It makes many jokes about sex, mental retardation (although more of the actors who portray mentally retarded people in their films), and racism. Nothing is super-offensive, however. In the end, this movie is great if you want to have a couple really funny and entertaining hours. Hope this helped!
on May 9, 2016
Whoa, I was super surprised at how funny this was. I hate Robert Downey Jr. I hate his acting, his face, his whole person is crap. However, he made this movie. He was totally hilarious. Ben Stiller was his typical stupid and funny self, Jack Black I thought was great too. The whole team did so well together.

This is a satire. It's an action movie that step-by-step makes fun of many action cliches, where I think Rambo is central among some others. I can see why this movie was so highly rated.
on September 2, 2014
This is a CLASSIC comedy - I do NOT care what the naysayers have commented! If you are in the mood for a good old belly laugh - or fifty - actually a continuous laugh from beginning to end - this is your movie! The beginning "credits" get you started with "Booty Sweat" and Tom Cruise takes you home with the FUNNIEST character dance I have ever seen in the ending credits! It took me a while to actually realize it was HIM when I first saw this masterpiece of contemporary comedic antics! Just have a seat with some "Booty Sweat" and "Bust a Nut Bars," and make SURE to grab some kleenex, because you'll laugh until you cry! EXCELLENT!!!
2 people found this helpful