Workplace Solutions Best Kids' Books of the Year Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 12 Days of Deals Gifts for Him hgg16 Get up to $100 back on House Cleaning services hf16 hf16 hf16  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Outdoor Gift Ideas on Amazon

Showing 1-10 of 3,434 reviews(verified purchases). Show all reviews
on December 27, 2012
I've been a fan of True Blood since the beginning, but this past season has begun to test my loyalty. The seasonal villain is too far-fetched. I know the characters are vampires, but it would be nice to see even one of them maintain a successful relationship. If this keeps up, we're going to need a flow chart just to keep up with who is sleeping with whom and who is now a vampire and who is still human. I still have hopes for the new season, but I'm only cautiously optimistic.
77 comments| 63 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 30, 2012
True Blood started as everyone saying you have to see this and me grudgingly taking Season 1 from a friend. I now own all the seasons, know each character by name with background story and am humbly awaiting the release of season five. Its addicting, dont' say I didn't warn you
11 comment| 70 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 25, 2013
Season 5 of the fantastic HBO series True Blood follows quickly on the heels of Season 4; Sookie has to think fast with a dead Tara in her arms while Bill and Eric are off trying to stake Russell Edgington for good.

In addition to simply furthering the plot, True Blood also raises the stakes to the highest level we have seen on this show. The majority of the season is spent in the underground lair of The Authority, the vampire governing body, and we are introduced to wonderful new characters like Roman and the dangerous Salome. The Authority initially vows to destroy Russell and the threat he poses to all the progress made in human-vampire relations.

As expected, things don't quite turn out the way they are supposed to - and this happens pretty early on. True Blood works best when it is operating within sheer insanity and Season 5 illustrates that beautifully. We get to see the demented fairy nightclub, a fiery Iraqi smoke demon, and an angry vampire goddess throughout the course of 12 episodes that literally fly by.

In addition to all the sheer chaos taking place, Season 5 maintains True Blood's status as a genuine horror TV show. This season is full of truly scary moments, especially because we the audience do not know how powerful these creatures are. How much of a threat can they pose to the characters we love? And what do we have to do to kill them?

What I like best about the season, however, is that it finally addresses the long-waiting issue of how the vampires should deal with their identity. Is mainstreaming a good idea? Is being accepted by society worth compromising who they are, or should they embrace their inherently brutal animalistic vampire selves?

The season finale is a phenomenon on its own, bringing together all the madness without quite wrapping up every loose end. (It'd be too network-television if they did!) The very last cliffhanger in itself is a terrifying moment that undoubtedly dropped jaws across the country. Five seasons strong, True Blood still has plenty of bite.
on May 5, 2016
Well, to be fair I'm only halfway through this season but so far I'm really enjoying it. Again, it is interesting to see what's been taken from the books and what is totally new. In several of the situations, some of it was in the books but not exactly the same circumstance. I'm hoping, in many ways, they keep changing it up like that because a couple things from the books were so annoying.
I like to dynamic between Bill and Eric and how they are both just waiting for Sookie to say "on second thought, let's give it a shot" and yet they continue on with their vampire schemes and motivations. This season we learn about 2 different factions of vampires, some want to peacefully coexist, others see humans as a delicious food source and little more. Which side will our local vamps choose, because I'm betting by the end of the season they'll have to pick?
I am happy Tara is still around-no thanks to annoy Debbie Pelt, who died way better in the book. And I really look forward to seeing her character grow in new ways now that she's a vampire (definitely not in the books).
Who is shooting the local shifters? This is one of the other story arcs this season. I have no idea who to suspect at this point... I'm glad that Andy is taking some help from Sam on this investigation.
Is Jason going to meet the future Mrs Jason (and will she be the nice girl who tames the man down)? What's with the fairy bar in the field? Will Jason ever figure out that, like his sister, he has fairy blood? Hello, it's like saying my sister is 1/2 Irish, but it skipped me... Is that going to be in the show?
What's up with Andy (fairy flings, really)?
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 1, 2016
I love this show! I only had 4 episodes on season 4 when i purchased this. It arrived ahead of schedule so i only had 2 days without my true blood addiction (haha). Discs are in mint condition and so is the case. Cant wait to see what trouble Sookie finds herself in this season!
on July 7, 2015
Here I thought season 4 was very twisted and emtional, but this season 5 was far more emtional and full of twist turns that even I never saw coming as I tried to guess as I watch the season episode by episode. As normal had mutiple storylines and I enjoy the guess star from Law and Order SVU was an added treat within the season and was like I reconize him and like him as an actor. I will not do spoilers but the overall storyline of vampire verses vampire lived up to the hyped, but some of the other storylines I can tell are losing some of their fire meaning I think they lost their normal story writers for the show. If that was the case I can tell why Alan Ball left this show and his creation after this season. Although I have watched this show since the start I still plan to finish the show season 6 and 7 just to see how it ends for my own eyes. Just like I read th stories on Dexter and how it ended and still got all the seasons and enjoyed that showed all the way to the end. So in closing if you still love one liners and storylines you will enjoy watching threwout the whole season and a few that make you go what the heck is going on here then you will love this season of True Blood. But like end of season 4 the end scene for season 5 made my mouth drop open and say oh my God really this is amazing.
on January 19, 2016
Total cheeseball garbage, I actually binged the show pretty hard first few seasons and stopped watching during season 5. Then years later gave the show another chance, started over, and again bailed at season 5. Dunno why, it's a pretty boring season maybe, or it just gets too campy?
on February 9, 2016
I'm a fan — but not a fanatic — of the books, and by season 5 True Blood diverged too far from Harris's originals. When the show first came out, I didn't have live TV. I rushed out to get the DVDs of season 1 as soon as they were available. After season 2, I waited until they were on sale. By season 3, I didn't buy the DVDs at all and by season 4 I'd abandoned the show after watching a couple of episodes. I was pleased to see the first five seasons free on Amazon Prime so I could catch up and see if the passing years since they had first aired might have changed my opinion. Nope. There's no way I'd pay to see seasons 6 and 7. I might dig out my paperbacks, though, and re-read books 1–9. They're still entertaining.

Some changes were good, and I know enough to recognize those made specifically to adapt the story to the screen medium. Making Tara black was brilliant, as was inventing Jessica, and I'm glad they enlarged Lafayette's role and changed Eric's maker to a positive character. But most changes were senseless and bizarre, or even creepy. The explosion from a minor to dominant role of the maenad — who is not called Mary Ann — in season 2 put me off entirely. The change in the nature and character of fairies, ditto. I fast forward through the maenad scenes when I watch reruns. With the shows, unlike the books, it was impossible to suspend disbelief enough to enjoy it. Alan Ball and his successors as show runners need to look up the word _verisimilitude_ before attempting a new project.
on June 7, 2016
This show is full of eye-candy and soap-operatic drama with gallons and gallons of blood and gore. Why do vampires never wipe their mouths? This season reaches a new peak of nudity and gore by including characters who have little to say while they walk around wearing nothing but blood. While I enjoy the writing and acting of the main characters most of the time, there are too many 180-degree reversals of motivation for reasons that are too thin. The season lacks as strong a direction as I'd prefer, and the vampire politics get old. And yet, still I watch it.
on August 19, 2015
I was hooked on Trueblood from the first episode. Season 5 has stepped it up, again! I hope this show goes on for a very long time or until the actors have had enough and it all is brought to a natural conclusion. The characters are a bit "campy"; but each one is strong and well developed.This show goes beyond just the main characters because you have equally intriguing story-lines for all the supporting cast. Sometimes, this can be a little over whelming or get in the way; but there always seems to be a connection down the line and worth waiting for. It's part of life, and it never weaves in a straight line.
It is fun to compare the individual characters, some are overly dramatic and others just seem to fall into s..t, wondering "what happened?" You can easily be drawn in and need a fix of another episode before you know it. Watch for the drama or watch for a laugh, you can find both and more.