True Blood: Season 3
DVD | Box Set
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
In Bon Temps, everyone has something to hide. But when new threats emerge, no one can conceal the secrets of their past. After Sookie discovers Bill was kidnapped, she heads to Mississippi, where she becomes entangled in a world ruled by werewolves and a powerful Vampire King. Eric is also drawn to the King’s domain to settle an old score; Jason falls for a mysterious woman; Lafayette can’t avoid love or demons; and Sam uncovers the truth about his birth family. It all leads up to the revelation of the series…Sookie’s true identity.
The 12 episodes composing True Blood: The Complete Third Season are either the best yet or the most ridiculous, depending on one's opinion of the increasing number of monsters entering the scene. As last season saw an onslaught of pagan and ancient Greek-derived "supernaturals," as they're called by Bon Temps' citizens, this season welcomes everything from werewolves, to vampire royalty, to that surprise-being that Sookie Stackhouse (Anna Paquin) finally discovers she shares genes with. While the first two seasons centered on the spicy love affair between Sookie and Bill Compton (Stephen Moyer), this season branches out once again from the vampire-human cultural blender. From the first episode, "Bad Blood," when Bill is whisked off to meet the King of Mississippi, Russell Edgington (Denis O'Hare), whose villainous scheme will inform all ensuing episodes, one gets less of Sookie and Bill, and more of everything else.
For example, Sam Merlotte (Sam Trammell) reveals himself this time around, starting in the episodes "Beautifully Broken" and "It Hurts Me Too," in which he tracks down members of his past and in turn meets some new family, like his mischievous brother, Tommy Mickens (Marshall Allman). Following up on Eggs's death at the end of season two, Andy Bellefleur (Chris Bauer) and Jason Stackhouse (Ryan Kwanten) have multiple police dramas, especially in later episodes like "I Smell a Rat" and "Fresh Blood." This season, too, presents some of life's greatest challenges to Tara Thornton (Rutina Wesley), as if she hadn't suffered enough after her new love Eggs was shot. Hoyt (Jim Parrack) and Jessica (Deborah Ann Woll), as a foil couple to Sookie and Bill's vampire-human coupling, have enormous hurdles to jump over simply to continue dating. While all of these dramas make the characters in Bon Temps come alive like never before, the silliest of the plots continues on, unfortunately, as Queen Sophie-Anne Leclerq (Evan Rachel Wood) has to battle King Edgington for Vamp-Blood sales territory. On the up side of that chess-game narrative, Eric Northman (Alexander Skarsgård) and his femme fatale, Pam De Beaufort (Kristin Bauer), play much larger roles this season, and in the finale, "Evil Is Going On," Eric not only discovers his deep past history but struggles through his rockiest present dangers thus far.
Interestingly, though Sookie is still the protagonist, True Blood appears to be shifting to a wider view, emphasizing the overall community and the effects supernatural warfare has on Bon Temps collectively. Lafayette Reynolds (Nelsan Ellis), still one of the most charming characters, discovers more about his past, thanks to nurse Jesus Velasquez (Kevin Alejandro), and Jason too discovers a new calling, thanks to Crystal Norris (Lindsay Pulsipher). If anything, this season of past recollections and the realizations of future callings will allow for this excellent series to carry on into infinity, as magical creatures continue to grace this setting enriched with full-fledged characters. Vampires were, as the cast confirms this time around, only the beginning. --Trinie Dalton
-True Blood Post Mortems
-Snoop Dogg “Oh Sookie” video
-6 Audio Commentaries with the cast and crew including Executive Producer and Creator Alan Ball, Anna Paquin (Sookie), Stephen Moyer (Bill), Alexander Skarsgard (Eric), Joe Manganiello (Alcide Herveaux), Kristin Bauer Van Straten (Pam De Beaufort), Denise O’Hare (Russell Edgington) and more!
Would you like to tell us about a lower price?
If you are a seller for this product, would you like to suggest updates through seller support?
Top customer reviews
Those "soaps" off old, were silly, goofy AND HIGHLY ADDICTIVE! The TENSION, The Perfect Hair,(on EVERYONE!), The MAKEUP!
Anyone recall Erica Kane?? The DRAMA..ALL those marriages, All the PREGNANCIES....ALL of the (shush,now)....Illegitimate children!
True Blood does it's job very well! Takes our minds OFF our daily troubles, and puts them right where they BELONG....in the capable,loving hands of one of the best porn stars of the 19th century....MARILYN CHAMBERS!!
Take a chill pill!
Now, the blu ray discs: W.T.F. First, it takes five minutes -- seriously, five minutes: I'm not using hyperbole -- from the time you insert a disc until the time you can actually play an episode... And that's if everything goes right. Here are some of the instances in which things didn't go right:
1. Disc 1, episode 1 was fine. When I later tried to play episode 2, it would not load. It said "Insert Disc 1" -- but Disc 1 was already in! So I went to "Play All" and it worked. I just had to skip to what I wanted to watch.
2. Disc 2 had the same glitch, only when I tried to "Play All" after the first episode on the disc, it would not load at all -- it just froze. So I had to pull the disc out and start over; try again. That took another 5+ minutes, and I got the same result. So I pulled it out, reinserted, and tried to go to the episode again, and guess what it said: "Insert Disc 2." DISC 2 WAS IN THE PLAYER! I pulled it out, reinserted it, and it started playing (after the five-minute load time, of course), but I wasn't sure it was the right episode, LOL, so I stopped it and repeated the process... This time, it AGAIN, said "Insert Disc 2." Another five minutes later, it had been pulled out, reinserted, and this time I let it play and, luckily, I was able to determine that it was the right episode... 15 to 20 minutes after I sat down to watch the show!
3. At other times, the menu can pop up and it will say "cont'd" with "play episode" a selection, but no episode actually selected. When it does this,you're screwed and need to reinsert. If you scroll over to select the episode, it will tell you to insert the proper disc, even though the proper disc is already in! For some stupid reason, you can select any episode from any disc, so obviously it will tell you to insert the proper disc if the episode is on a different disc than the one in the player, but it often tells you to insert the correct disc even if the correct disc is IN the player!
Now, once an episode did get loaded, the picture and sound quality was perfect and there were never any glitches, skips, or anything like that. But J.C. on the cross, man! Even if the weird errors I mention above were eradicated, the fact that it takes MORE THAN FIVE MINUTES to load an episode makes these discs worth of one star. I thoroughly enjoyed the season, but I know there's no way in hell I'd ever go through what I had to go through to watch it again, so as soon as we were done with Episode 12, the set went on eBay. I am a blu ray snob, but I would highly recommend eschewing these discs in favor of DVDs, or waiting until a second-generation blu ray version that corrects these glitches comes out (if it ever does). As these discs are, they are totally unacceptable, in my opinion.
If you are looking for a dark, hyper fantastical trip down the wild side with plenty of Southern drawls, this is the show for you. Having read the books, even though I know the plots do not line up much or sometimes at all, I skipped straight to this season, I am not sure how much more I will be able to put up with, but this season was interesting enough for me to eagerly await Amazon Prime access to Season Four.
Most recent customer reviews
Set up an Amazon Giveaway
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Look for similar items by category
- Movies & TV > Boxed Sets > Drama
- Movies & TV > Boxed Sets > Mystery & Suspense
- Movies & TV > Boxed Sets > Television
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Drama
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Fantasy
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Horror
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Mystery & Thrillers
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Romance
- Movies & TV > HBO > All HBO Titles
- Movies & TV > Science Fiction & Fantasy
- Movies & TV > TV