Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Digital Energy 9.6v RC Battery Charger with 2 Battery Packs
Your Garage Buy 2 kids' books and save Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports STEM

on May 2, 2015
I purchased this combo because it was a lot less than buying individual items. The charger worked perfectly, and the batteries took a full charge over two nights. The Radio Control Car batteries were for the Lionel plastic wireless "Polar Express" toy train. The choice was six "C" cells per session or the rechargeable 9.6v battery pack. Unfortunately, Lionel's engineers didn't allow for the plastic film on these batteries, so I took the Tender (coal car) apart and cut out part of the battery space with an oscillating cutter. Now they fit, and the train will run for long sessions, with a spare battery fully charged standing by.

However, to make the batteries fit the tender, I had to modify it. One of the comments on the review has the full instructions for doing the mod.
review image review image
on January 5, 2013
I was able to install this in the Lionel G gauge Polar Express Train... the train really flies now. A lot lighter than the 6 C-Cells that were in there.
on September 8, 2013
The charging time for these batteries is 9 hours. You have to keep yourself pretty organized to make sure batteries are always charged especially since the LED charging indicator never turns off to let you know the batteries are charged. That simple feature would bring this up to 4 stars for me.
on May 11, 2014
I don't know if the price point was good but we use them in my sons John Deere Ertl RC tractor. They are not as powerful, fast or last as long as the original battery. they do he job which is important for my 3 y/o but as a father they should be as good or better than the original battery. calling batteries plus, they did not carry these in stock and said that they would have to make them. so price wise, I'm guessing its not bad.
on November 21, 2014
These are drop-in replacements for Lionel's G Gauge model train line. You can either use 6 C-cell batteries or one of these.

Versus the C cells, the advantages are:

The train is much, much faster with this pack, at least for a short time.
Rechargeable and thus environmentally friendly, if that matters to you.
Weighs less than 6 C-cells which makes the train much faster.

Disadvantages:

My batteries are date stamped. They are already over four years old. The kit doesn't appear to have ever been used, but it has sat somewhere for a very long time.

The life is a fraction of what the 6 C's offer. Expect a half hour or less on this pack, whereas the 6 C's you'll get hour after hour after hour of solid performance... and the NiCd is super fast for a few minutes, then tapers off dramatically.

Very long (10hr) charge time and you have to unplug it. Unlike Lion batteries, which charge quickly and then trickle.

Would I do it again?

Probably not. I was just curious to see how fast the train would go. Now that I know just how quickly these batteries drain, I'll just stick with C cells... given how long they last, what they cost isn't much of an issue.
on December 28, 2015
This item was "recommended" by Amazon when I purchased the Polar Express G gauge train set, which was not compatible with it. I wasted nearly $30 on something I now have no use for. Christmas eve night I had to find a store open so I could purchase the right batteries and spent another $25. Very frustrated with the purchase and Amazons recommendation.
on December 4, 2014
I bought my son an RC Gremlin from a vintage toy shop. The battery was shot. I purchased this charger and 2 batteries and it worked right away. When the batteries are fully charged, the car is so fast! It has actually wrecked several times going around my neighborhood at a full charge.
on June 19, 2015
Excellent for my battery powered r/c Lionel train layout. Lasts for hours and hours with continual use. I would recommend these battery packs (with charger included) for anyone trying to use Lionel with 'C' cell batteries. GREAT.
on June 10, 2016
I purchased a RC Car from the Goodwill for $8.00, thankfully it still had a battery in it so I could compare and purchased the combo pack with and extra battery and it works great!! my granddaughter is so excited it cost me a total of 45.00 for a car and battery that would have cost over $100.00 at the store! I will purchase from this seller again if they have the product I need.
on March 29, 2014
These would have done exactly as I needed them for but the RC item I was going to use these with was poorly constructed so I had no need for the batteries and returned them. As mentioned by others, a 'charge complete' indicator of some kind would be an improvement.