Spring Deals Automotive HPC Best Books of the Month New-season heels nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One GNO for Samsung S9 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry SpringEvent_Lawn_and_Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now TG18SW_gno

on February 9, 2012
If you are looking at a $10 wine aerater, chances are you are a lot like me in the following ways:

- You enjoy wine, but you wouldn't consider yourself a wine enthusiast or even have the most refined palate for it
- You tend to buy cheap wine
- You're looking for a way to make your cheap wine taste better with a cheap aerater

If you meet that criteria, you will probably love this aerator. I've tried wine side-by-side with and without the aerator and it definitely brings out more flavor and tastes better with the aerator.

Also, the spout works great for no drip pours. It's easy to clean and store. It's perfect for my wine needs.
33 comments| 52 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on May 23, 2013
Fellow wine drinking friends and family affectionately refer to this product as "the traveller". - works well and would not want to go without it. I am back to buy more as gifts and wanted to leave a review for others who are considering this item.

At the time I'm writing this review, the price is $3 less than I paid originally. What a deal. It convinced me to buy more as stocking stuffers. I would also be a nice extra host/ess gift with a bottle of wine when attending gatherings.

The review:

I purchased this traveller months ago and wish we had purchased it earlier. We dine out regularly and enjoy our favorite Cabs, Merlots, Bordeaux, etc but don't often have the luxury of time to let it breathe after opening. When we are at home, we use the Vinturi Aeriator. While not huge, the Vinturi isn't something that fits easily in a purse or pocket.

This item is not quite as effective as the Vinturi, but it works well. The portability and "always there's when you need it" far outweighs the difference in aeration effectiveness. The first glass after opening the wine is the target demographic, so to speak. The difference in that first glass right after opening with vs. without this aerator is markedly noticeable. After that, the rest of the wine has some time to breathe in the bottle while you drink the first glass, so more aeration is icing on the cake.

Easy to use. Easy to clean. Just open the bottle and put it in as if it were a stopper, then pour. We have only used it on red wine and on corked bottles, but I see no reason why it wouldn't work with screw tops or white wine.

The rubber stopper on one end helps it stay secure and the flared design at the pourer end eliminates drips. There is a metal perforated disk in between that serves to introduce air as you pour. Despite being secure when pouring, it's still easy to remove when it's time to go. To remove, gently wiggle while you twist. Don't force it! To clean, just agitate in a glass of water or rinse under the tap.

Dont expect Vinturi-type results. If you want to replicate Vinturi results, lug the Vinturi around when you dine out. We opted for this traveller and haven't regretted it. My one concern is forgetting to take it off the bottle when we leave, but so far that hasn't happened :-).

One last comment- pouring the bottle is a little more awkward with the aerator on because it elongates the bottle by an inch or two. You have to be a little more deliberated when pouring (or maybe it's just a reflection on me, ha!), The upside is that unlike the Vinturi, you only to use one hand while pouring . Two hands are needed for the Vinturi - one hand to hold the Vinturi over the glass, the other hand to pour the bottle.

Cheers & enjoy!
on January 30, 2013
So the first wine I tried aerating was Barefoot Cabernet Sauvignon($10 for 1.5L) with this aerating pourer and I must say it works to make the overall taste of the wine better and it made it taste sweeter.

When you actually inspect the True Fabrications Wine Aerating Pour Spout it just looks like a normal spout with three holes to let air in and a little chamber inside but it slows down the pour rate and increases the amount of contact with air to let the wine breathe aka oxidize to soften the tannins and improve the taste of the wine.

And for the one negative review about the spout not being helical is true, but it doesn't affect the performance of the aerating pour spout and I don't know why the design would really matter, what actually matters is the taste of the wine. But no hate, amazon shouldn't have the one picture with the helical design.

I tried this on the Rex Goliath Pinot Noir($6 on sale at supermarket) and you can definitely taste the difference(smoother and sweeter, no harsh after taste). I would say try the wine aerated first and then try the wine not aerated second to get a better view. So instead of something tasting bad, and then less bad...it would be tasting decent and then not as good.

I also tried this on the $3 wine from Whole Foods (three wishes) and the $3 wine from Trader Joe's (Charles Shaw aka two buck chuck) and it doesn't really do anything, but then again they are $3 wine so I don't know what you can do to make them taste any better haha.

So overall I suggest you try this wine aerating pour spout, I am going to try this aerator with higher quality wines from wine.com and see if they taste better. If you know anyone who is into wine and doesn't have a wine aerator you should get this as a gift. I got this for $7 with prime but now the price is up a little but still a good buy. But I only bought this because I was hyped about my Host Twist Aerator that has like 0-6 hour settings of aerating and that won't come in till 2-4 weeks. Good luck and drink up! (Please drink responsibly!)
on October 15, 2010
I've used this on both red and white wines, as well as port, with noticeable improvements in all cases. It also eliminates most drips when pouring. It fits easily into bottles with corks and bottles with screw caps. Rinse it under running water when done, and it is ready for the next bottle!
22 comments| 43 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on July 29, 2010
WOrks as well, or better than some of the $30-40 jobs I have used. Helps the wine develop much better than just pouring and lot easier than using a decanter-unless it is an older vintage.
0Comment| 37 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on May 11, 2012
I poured myself a sip, tasted it, then immediately popped on the aerator and tried it again. There was definitely a big difference and if you open a bottle and tend not to finish it right away, you absolutely should invest in an aerator.

This one is great for the price and there is absolutely no reason to spend more money on an aerator. This one is great.
on February 24, 2013
...get home from work thinking "Geez, I need a glass of wine!" only to have to cool your jets while the bottle "breathed?"

This makes that problem go away. Uncork the bottle, insert the pour spout, pour. It's that simple.

Does it do what it purports to do? Well, I'll be the first to admit that I'm not a wine snob and I'm not entirely sure I'd be able to tell the difference between an aerated burgundy and one poured straight from the glass, but it's an inexpensive, minor middle step with no extra hassle so who cares?

It's easy to clean, too. Just soak in a bit of warm soapy water and rinse.
on May 12, 2014
My date and I did a blind taste test using this on a bottle of Bordeaux. We both easily identified which glass had the sample from this pour spout and which glass had the sample straight from the bottle. We both thought the spout made the wine taste better. That said, it's not a huge difference. And this certainly won't make a bad wine taste good. The spout is inexpensive though. So I think it's worth buying if you drink mid-range wine and don't want to deal with decanting a bottle before drinking it.
on July 20, 2016
A cheap and effective aerator so long as your bottle is of the cork type. It does NOT fit screw top bottles.

It pours slowly, but I like that for the sake of portion control. It would take someone truly impatient and hard up for wine to complain about the flow rate.
on May 11, 2016
I can't recommend these for the purpose aerating the wine. I've used the more expensive aerators, which I feel have worked as advertised. I bought this just to try, and it doesn't seem to do anything but direct the flow.