Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Listen for a chance to win STEM Limited time offer Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Holiday Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon life life life  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite Shop now HTL17_gno

on December 5, 2016
This book tells a magnificent story of how a small good seen everyday, chocolate, has impacted all of history. To my surprise, it was loaded with lots of data and history you would never imagine for such a common item. The authors did a superb job in presenting a subject not thought about throughout the modern world. The origins of chocolate have a very interesting history that is again, not considered in the modern era. The author delivers their information in an interesting way and makes readers want to continue to read due to its surplus of interesting and unknown facts.

I would recommend this book to other students because it tells a fascinating story of a boring item. Students can learn many things from this novel such as the impact of trade or interactions between humans. They can also see the effects of cultural diffusion from different goods in the world. The only thing I had wished the author had done was add more personal thoughts or opinions on their information to give students something to discuss about.
on November 16, 2015
A fascinating and fact-filled account of the history of chocolate from its Mayan origins to its reception in Europe during the early 1500s, the changing nature of its production and marketing to the present day and the major players in this - religiously, socially and culturally. This is such an engaging and interesting read. Filled with information about early Meso-America and an unflinching portrait of the Conquistadors and their role in the later dissemination of chocolate, never mind the cultural atrocities perpetrated on the people they encountered in South America, the book then travels to Europe and the reader learns of the role this rich and heady drink played among first, the cultural elite, before finding its way to the stomachs and hearts of the masses. The role of slavery is touched upon and my only critique is I would have liked to read more on this. Otherwise, this book is the seminal book on the history of the product we've come to know and mostly, love devouring.
Top Contributor: Batmanon July 16, 2016
A good introductory work on the history of chocolate. While the authors could have covered much more, this is a sold beginning for anyone interested in material or food culture.
on March 17, 2017
I needed this book for a Chocolate class in college. By far, it is the most interesting "textbook" I have had to read throughout my college career. Probably because it is not actually a textbook, but it is still very informative and I learned a lot of interesting things about chocolate from it.
on February 20, 2012
Coe's The True History of Chocolate is a blending between genres, while not entirely a textbook it is still very informative and well written. Coe presents the history of chocolate as a story, in the sense that the reader follows the origins of cacao from an indigenous Mexican crop to one of the most popular commodities of the 20th century. While Coe's style may turn of of the more serious academic reader, the history is never deluded or overly simplified. Coe's style aside, this book still contains a wealth of information about the impact of chocolate on both Europe and America. If you have ever been curious about chocolate but never studied it, this is a must read. I recommend this book to readers of non fiction and those who simply enjoy learning about history, the only readers who may want to avoid this book are those that enjoy denser and more serious academic texts.
on August 21, 2017
Fun to know and share with children.
on June 28, 2017
Not only is this a great book to learn about the history of chocolate but it is a great history lesson about Mesoamerica.
on October 6, 2014
good history - with a little too much time on ancient history and not enough on how a few big candy comopanies have come to dominate the world market
on April 14, 2012
I took a course from Michael Coe 45 years ago. He was an energetic young professor with an uncanny ability to impart knowledge with detail encased in excitement humor and good presentation. He hasn't lost a bit of that talent with this book. All my family has enjoyed it and now my friends are lined up waiting, I've told those that are impatient to get their own...there can never be enough of this book circulating...
We are not just what we eat, we are what we know about and what we enjoy of what we eat, so this book makes us appreciate our selves and our ties to history all the more.
on November 19, 2016
Excellent insight into the history of the world's most beloved treat. A very entertaining read, filled with facts, anecdotes, and little tidbits about the amazing history of Chocolate. A must read for any foodie.