Industrial Deals HPC Trade in your textbooks Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Listen for a chance to win Electronics Gift Guide Limited time offer Handmade Last Minute Gifts Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon JCVJ JCVJ JCVJ  All-new Echo Save $10 on Fire 7. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

Customer reviews

True Meditation: Discover the Freedom of Pure Awareness
Format: Hardcover|Change

on November 14, 2015
Adya, or Steve, is a passionate guide in the spiritual sense who lives in the Bay Area of San Francisco and gives lectures here and elsewhere in the world. I went to at least 10 meetings and a couple of half-day sittings with him and it's a delight to listen to his insights about non-duality and the reality of only the Now etc.
His other books are great but I did not find this Meditation book that inspiring.
on June 7, 2015
A must read for anyone interested in meditation, whether new to meditation or a long time meditator. Adyashanti explains a different way to approach meditation. One which I had recently felt was the way to meditate, even before reading True Meditation. Some great wisdom in this book on meditation, enlightenment, awareness and much more. Also look into Adyashanti's other works. Enjoy all your meditations.

Thank You Adyashanti.
on December 17, 2017
This is the best book on meditation that I have ever read and I’ve skimmed many. Adyashanti help me to “see” the mighty degree my mind has dominated my understandings of spirit and to relax into OM.
He discusses all one’s objections to his approach. I enthusiastically recommend this book. In my mind it’s classic. Beware you will be changed.
on September 11, 2013
The laser like focus of this book is amazing.
Do two things to find your innermost nature:

1) Surrender to your experience while maintaining meditative awareness.
2) Use your whole self to analyze what you are not in order to observe what you are.

The author strips away all the fluff to drive straight towards the heart of the matter.
The rest is all internalization.
on April 2, 2015
This book blew me away. Completely changed the way I meditate.

I recently went to see him at a one-day retreat. The dude is for real! A true teacher. The clearest light I have ever seen.

Since reading this book about two years ago, I have purchased most of his other ones and have been carried to beautiful and caring spaces.

Thank you, Adya, for listening to Source.
on September 3, 2014
reading the book and letting it sink it makes you realise how true his words are. IT's a must read for anyone really interested in knowing what this ride called being a human being is all about and how you can feel deep peace in all situations and experiences not by trying but by allowing the experience to be as it is which in itself is a revolutionary change in perspective and is really quite beautiful.
on August 9, 2017
Not really what I thought "pure awareness" would be but. ...
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
This was the first book I read on the subject of meditation (I call it the "M" word) that actually got me to meditate. Adyashanti helps us by getting rid of the rules we may have learned about it and gives us an understanding of what it means to be in the present moment. I loved this book and recommend it to clients who come to my physical therapy practice.
on October 11, 2017
A great read for those who are practicing or want to start practicing meditation. It simplifies everything making it accessible to everyone .
on February 18, 2013
What Adyashanti describes as "True Meditation" is essentially Zen/Buddhist meditation called "Shikantaza" or Zazen. This practice is very hard to describe and many Zen books don't describe it in detail. I have searched for many books to get instructions on how to do Zazen but couldn't find any that describes it so well as this one does.

In most Zen places though, they make the students start in a concentration technique like counting/following breaths. This is for attaining certain level of concentration so that the clinging to thoughts becomes lesser before we actually take up shikantaza or just sitting practice. Earlier when I took up Zen practice, I was drawn towards the beauty of this Shikantaza practice. But I really hated following the breath and all those other concentration practices. Those didnt feel natural to me and somehow I had the feeling that "Shikantaza" alone would be enough. I am happy that Adyashanti endorses this (starting directly with shikantaza without any breath following required). In the Q&A section (interview at the end of the book) he also clearly explains why he thinks breathing practices won't be necessary and why "Just Sitting" or Shikantaza would be enough. Infact I later found that there are a few Zen schools (Gudo Nishijima lineage and famous american Zen teacher Brad Warner) that teach only shikantaza and say breath following or any such concentration practice is not necessary. Though Adya doesn't recommend any particular posture, I personally prefer the Zen style posture of Sitting on a Zafu with eyes open and facing the wall compared to closing the eyes and back to the wall kind of method. That kind of gives me better alertness and openness.

I highly recommend this book and this practice to all those interested in meditation. It is also a good idea to read and understand about Zazen and Zen meditation practices to get a complete picture though this book alone would be sufficient.