Oil month Automotive HPC Magazine Deals Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day gifts Home Gift Guide Mother's Day gifts across Amazon Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Fifty Shades Freed available to buy Fifty Shades Freed available to buy Fifty Shades Freed available to buy  Kids Edition Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now TG18PP_gno

on January 21, 2015
This book hit close to home, living in Oregon it's not an odd occurrence to hear about a serial killer - or a man that snaps one day killing his wife and three children unfortunately. But the story between the author Michael Finkel and Longo is both fascinating and disgusting. Longo's story was interesting, seeing how he was raised - the family he came from and having been disfellowshipped from the Jehovah's Witnesses myself I found the connection both interesting and irritating.
Longo's struggles to be a decent human being did not come through this story - what you hear is a story developing as does his non-existent character. Because Longo is devoid of any human characteristics. He is nothing more than a pathological liar that decided to rid himself of his family - killing those poor children and discarding them into the murky waters boarding the Oregon Coast so that he may start a new chapter in his life.

I find the relationship between Finkel and Longo to be similar, but Finkel uses the illustrations as a way to apologize for his actions working for the New York Times, and I understand the stress he put himself through plagiarizing his story. The connection is there, and at times made me sick to my stomach.
on February 13, 2018
A great story about two men from totally different backgrounds and the choices that they made to lead to their current lives and how they unfortunately meet as criminal and journalist. The story keeps you hook on the mystery and the truth about Christian Longo's criminal action against his family and Michael Finkel trying to find the true full story of Longo's life, but it leads to him spiraling down a wold of lies. This is also a great book about narcissistic personality disorder and manipulation of Truth and Lies. Leaving you with the sense that with every lie there could be a little truth and with every truth there are lies. Based on a True Story.
on February 5, 2015
I was a little disappointed in this book after reading the reviews. I thought that the author was either very naive or was feeling so bad after his own public debacle that he became very codependent on the killer in this book, Christian Longo.

Becoming his friend for most of the story really took away from the objectivity that he had and also caused him to not confront Mr. Longo with his crimes.

Really I was not interested in reading about their cozy relationship and how Mr. Longo was a nice guy and liked the author. I was looking more for insight into why he did these terrible deeds
22 comments| 3 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 7, 2018
I downloaded this book because it was free and a true story. I enjoy true crime and this book did not disappoint. It has a happy ending if there can be one in such a tragic story. Finkle did a great job telling this. It made me google Longo to see for myself.
on March 25, 2015
Michael Finkel does a masterful job with this true crime story. He weeded through a massive compilation of letters and interviews to bring to life this sad, but intriguing story about Chris Longo. The author and reader go through a rollercoaster of emotions, never sure what is the absolute truth. I highly recommend this book!
on February 9, 2015
I understand that the premise of this book can be somewhat offputting, but I thought it was incredibly written. It was as if Michael Finkel were sitting at a table telling you the story face to face. I read this in a matter of days in any free time available while my husband listened to an audio version. We have had numerous conversations recalling the details of this story and how it leaves you wondering. Definitely recommend!!!
on August 10, 2017
Great book. Great author. I hope Michael Finkel writes more books in this vein. I also enjoyed his book about the North Pond Hermit.
on June 2, 2015
The author writes this book in a very interesting and different way to keep you guessing and interested. I would say it's a page turner. This is the kind you can't put down until you're finished with it because it's all so hard to believe if this father could have committed the murders.
on May 15, 2013
If, like me, you are a bedtime reader, plan to lose some sleep with this book.....you'll just have to keep reading, needing to know the whole bizarre story...and the author tells it expertly. You need to read this book....
on August 23, 2015
This book was very compelling both in it's storyline, which began as a weaving together of two strangely connected lives and ended with...well, no spoilers! It was both thought-provoking and an intriguing real-life story that I had a hard time putting down, even after I had finished the book.