BCA Month Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment raydonovanfinale raydonovanfinale raydonovanfinale  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 All-New Kindle Oasis South Park Shop Now HTL17_gno

on April 18, 2017
I received this book in the mail off Amazon yesterday, and I'm just starting to read it right now (about the last hour or so) and I have to say what an exquisite book! I buy a ton of books off of Amazon, and it somehow slipped my mind that this was wayyy more than an autobiography, but also a self-help book, self-affirmation etc, and definitely exceeded my expectations. If you haven't purchased the book yet go and get it now ASAP, I got it for an unbelievably amazing price and you can too!
on February 24, 2011
I wish every superstar was this candid about their struggles with living up to the media's ideals of beauty. Maybe then our youth would not be brainwashed into trying to live up to some unattainable look. Janet Jackson is completely real about her feelings, even saying she was depressed and felt fat. Even on Janet's worse day she is beautiful, but that's not what she saw when she looked into the mirror. At 31 years old, I'm learning more about living the "True Me." I see some of myself in Janet's story. I too was born in Gary, Indiana and always felt less than perfect. Janet talks about how her childhood and teen years shaped her perceptions into adulthood. This would be a great book to help young people get through the trials and tribulations of just being a confused kid. And if moms and daughters read this book together, I'm sure it would spark some discussions about being happy the way God made you.
on May 11, 2015
I really enjoyed it. It was a nice light and quick read.

I realize that Janet has a lot of the same struggles we all face with teasing and just plain trying to live up to what we think we should be. How fruitless it is when we look to others for our self worth and how self hatred and self denigration is a common occurrence with human beings no matter who they are. Janet's bravery to shed light on her own story helped me to see I'm not alone in this struggle. I appreciate the recipes and plan on trying a few especially the spinach and strawberry salad. I would never have thought these two ingredients could go together.
I appreciated the fact that she dedicated the book to Mike. She shows that she has forgiven him and still loves him. That's big.
I would have liked there to be a little more about Janet as she is such a dynamic and pleasant person and has a lot to offer women of all ages. Maybe she will do an autobiography in the future???
on November 13, 2013
a cautionary tale of life, love and fame. it exposes secrets of what goes on behind the scenes in high profile lives. it also allows the author to write her own story in contrast to the way the media presents her. the main theme is of accepting the self in an industry that periodically chips away at self esteem in pursuit of a fictional visual image of perfection. it tells of the high risks and costs of aiming for perfection and counters by offering healthy tips on how to care for and nurture the inner self. the book urges focus to be on personal development and inner growth rather than on external, superficial standards of beauty.
on June 25, 2014
This book was a raw look at the feelings of one of the most successful entertainers of our time. Through reading this book you can see how although she was constantly hailed one of the most beautiful women in the world she never really felt it inside. I personally understand how heartbreaking it is to look at my body and see flaws that probably don't even exist, looking for love in all the wrong places and hiding behind a persona to cover up everything. I now have more respect for her not only as an artist but as a person as well. I love this book and plan to read it again and again.
on November 19, 2012
Janet Jackson opens up a world that lots of us may not have known about her, that she had a struggle with weight her whole life. You wouldn't think sexy Janet Jackson had struggles with weight, but she did!! And it will make sense when you read this book. Me myself am not on a weight loss mission but she is not ONLY talking about her weight She touches on issues about self-esteem, self worth, and learning to love yourself regardless of what others may think of you. I personally liked that she took us through the stages of her life around creating and releasing her albums, and of course the struggle with weight was inbetween albums. I was at work and went halfway through the book, I couldn't set it down. Fabulous book. I've found myself being more cautious and eating more healthy :)
on February 25, 2011
Yes I'm a Janet Jackson fan, and I was waiting patiently for this book to come out. I watched her talk about this book for over a year, and after much delays it was finally released. In my honest opinion, she didn't disappoint with this book. She mentioned that the book would be a series of anecdotes that she hoped would allow young people, women, and even men, like myself, to relate to and somehow see that in order for someone to be happy they need to look at themselves, analyze the root causes of their insecurities, and accept and love themselves just the way they are. Janet did just that. I'm a work in progress, and after reading this book I've become more self aware of my own insecurities and how to deal with them. The book is easy reading and her stories of her youth allow readers to somehow relate to her as a normal person. Readers find out that she's sensitive and can be vulnerable at times, a regular human being, ultimately she's relatable. A great book overall.
on April 26, 2017
An American icon, this book was not what I had expected. Its not about her life. I thought her book would be about her life growing up as Jackson. But unfortunate it was about her weight and her eating habit.
on July 1, 2016
I am a HUGE Janet fan and read this book in one evening. I cannot remember the last book I did that with. Now I am a janet fan so I could be a little or allot biased. However this was a great read and gives us a glimpse into her world. Janet is a very private person and this was written by her so that in itself is very special. Plus there are even recipes in the back. I highly recommend checking this out if you are on the fence.
on June 9, 2011
This was my first book that I bought after receiving a Kindle a couple of days ago [as a gift from a dear friend], and I enjoyed every line of it, couldn't put it down. As a result I finished it in one day, not because I'm one of the many Janet Jackson's fans but because you can feel it's a book written out of love and out of the desire to help others reaching a True You, like Janet did. I discovered Janet little by little as the stories unfolded with her as the main character - the obedient daughter and loving sister, a caring lover or a true friend one should be thankful for having. I think that every story that Janet shared here has at least one reader who can easily identify him or herself with the descriptions, or who can say in the end "I've been there, too...". I know I did.
It definitely deserves a 5 stars rating, and as someone else said before me, the only regret I have about this book is that I wish it had been longer.