Amazon Business Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 STEM March Birthstone Book House Cleaning animestrike animestrike animestrike  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Trade in and get paid instantly Shop Now STEM

78%
22%

Showing 1-7 of 7 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 18 reviews
on March 23, 2011
Warning: this novel contains copious violence, one scene of graphic sex and an unhealthy amount of fast food.

This novel fits in the horror genre somewhere between Bret Easton Ellis' classic "American Psycho" and Warren Ellis' immaculate "Crooked Little Vein." Fans of either would not do wrong to purchase it.

The synopsis listed under Product Description does a fair job of summarizing the story, but it doesn't let on to how likeable the characters are. The story progresses at a nice pace while still leaving room for humorous exposition. There are differences between the protagonists of "American Psycho" and "Crooked Little Vein" and the unnamed anti-hero of "Truly, Deeply Disturbed." Unlike Patrick Bateman, this killer is not a truly crazed murderer who acts out of psychosis; unlike Michael McGill, this character finds himselves in situations of his own choosing as a result of his own conscious (and meticulous) planning.

This novel does, however, shine on its own merits without comparison. I found the supporting cast of characters to be lifelike and interesting. The narrative style was well-paced, humorous and stylistic without being overly-flourishing. I enjoyed "watching" the protagonist work, which was refreshing to me. Too often, these characters can fall into a "retribution stereotype" that can quickly become boring. By making this character a realistic person, the author was able to deftly avoid the protagonist falling into one of these tiresome categories.

It's a quick read, unfortunately, but well worth the price.

I recommend this to horror fans for the content, but I was surprised at the emotional depth that the supporting characters added. It's as much a story of a man who doesn't know he's lonely opening up to new relationships as much as it is a novel of brutal, bloody murder. Which was nice.
on November 17, 2011
I purchased "Truly, Deeply Disturbed" by Andrew Nienaber because the title and the cover design intrigued me. If ever a book lived up to and exceeded my expectations, this was it! The first chapter is extremely graphic (don't eat dinner while you read it) and there are several scenes throughout the book with explicit violence and sex but the storyline and the author's ability to tell a story and captivate readers is remarkable. I highly recommend "Truly, Deeply Disturbed."
on August 27, 2013
I absolutely loved this book. It is reminiscent of the Dexter series which I also love.
I don't want to give anything away, apart from the fact that the book is fast paces, a quick read, very entertaining. It can be graphic is some parts, but properly tied into the story, there is no unnecessary over the top violence in my opinion. For 2.99 its a steal.
on March 23, 2011
The author places this work in the genre "horror/family drama" and that is a perfect description of this story. I'm not a huge fan of horror, though I once was, but this book has so much more going for it. There is gruesome horror here (the main character is, after all, a serial killer), but not an obnoxious amount. The horror is the kind that makes my skin crawl and my testicles retreat a bit, but it's so well done! And the mission that drives this guy to kill is something I can actually get behind... ridding the world of rude, obnoxious, self-centered, abusive jerks.

But the heart of this story is something else altogether, and it's name is Samantha. I really don't want to spoil anything about this fabulous story, so I'll just leave it at that. I would highly recommend that you spend the measly $3.99 this book will cost you, because the payback is awesome.
on May 24, 2012
I was very excited to get my copy of this book I read it in a couple of day and was truly deeply IMPRESSED I hope Mr.Nienaber decides to author more great books!!!
on October 20, 2016
Best book ever. I was giggling at some scenes and yelling at other. Its a must read for anyone that love gore and a slight need for small justice.
on July 6, 2014
I read STZ, and knew I had to seek out anything else written by Nienaber. I was not disappointed. I look forward to his future writings!