Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Trade in. Get paid. Go shopping. Shop Now FFII_gno

Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-9 of 9 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 9 reviews
on May 5, 2015
I love the title. It just seemed like a book that would be filled with Tommie's success stories in trying to help others. Instead, it reads like a text you would expect to read in a college class for students headed down the medical care route. Not because it was written above a normal reading level, but because the author clearly some scorn for herbal remedies. The tone toward Tommie was kind but patronizing. There was a story about how he helped someone with diabetes, but this was not seen as a positive because then it made it harder for the doctor and his medicine for the guy. There is a lot about the history of folk healing and herbs. But clearly the attitude is that natural medicine is inferior to modern chemical medicine. I have no doubt that Tommie was trying to give ease. I wish that were more what the book were about. For books on natural medicine with stories and kind healers, I would recommend, Comfort for the Burned and Wounded by John Keim or Be Your Own Doctor by Rachel Weaver. I have read both over and over and have learned so much.
on February 21, 2017
I didn't care for this book. The author seems to be disconnected from the subject. The other Tommie Bass books I've read were absolutely great. This was a let down. Everything else; shipping and condition was good.
on July 25, 2015
An excellent book which not only shares a wealth of knowledge but also provides insight into a very remarkable naturalist, herbalist and man - Tommie Bass
on November 19, 2008
Very good study of the social environment and the nature of herb man Tommie Bass. An excellent reference for any herbalist or wildcrafters bookshelf. This is not much of a how-to, more of an overview of the social, geographic, and economic environment that Tommie Bass lived in, and how he made his living.
on July 7, 2011
This book gives us a glimpse back in time to see how those who came before us managed their health needs without drug stores. My main interest in it at this time in history is that it is a great resource for survival and general health of my family.
on April 6, 2013
Looking forward to reading this book. It was recommended by a friend and instead of borrowing the book I decided to purchase my own and take my time reading.
on April 12, 2015
Wonderful book!
on August 20, 2012
I borrowed this book from a friend about 5 years ago, and just recently bought one for myself. It is worth getting, as it has some very useful information about local herbs.
VINE VOICEon September 18, 2007
Although I never had the honor of meeting Tommie Bass, I know him through his students and herbal colleagues. Crellin does a great job of portraying Tommie Bass with his unique personality and take upon life. Bass had an unsurpassed knowledge of the medicinal use of herbs, drawing on the Appalachian, Cherokee, African-American and southern traditions. Crellin lets Bass speak for himself about the herbs he loved, and the newer directions his medicine took before he died.