Truck Season Automotive HPC Magazine Deals Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now TG18PP_gno

on January 13, 2018
About a year ago, I asked my friends on social media for mattress recommendations. The leading recommendation was for the Tuft and Needle mattress, which I should have heeded. Nearly a year and eight mattresses later, I finally bought that Tuft & Needle. It's #9 and I love it. I love it even more because it was by FAR the cheapest option, too. But at the time I was skeptical of a bed-in-a-box. I shouldn't have been. It fit my requirement to have good support with a comfort layer on top. And for the record, I sleep in all positions. Apparently I’m a rotisserie chicken, going from side to stomach to back all night. That makes me a tough customer to please and I know it.

But for anyone else doing mattress research, here's what I've learned from my year of testing. First, I received excellent service from both internet and traditional mattress companies. I tried three mattresses from Saatva Mattress, three Beautyrest mattresses from Mattress Firm, and a brand-new variation of the Purple mattress that's exclusive to Mattress Firm. I started the year on my old Sleep Number. So I have run the gamut of air, foam, innerspring, hybrid foam/innerspring and the new hybrid from Purple, which I guess would be called a Purple/innerspring variation, but "bouncy house" would be equally as descriptive. My asthma is triggered by chemicals in foam, so I made sure all the mattresses I bought were Certi-Pur. (This, sadly, is the only complaint I have about my Tuft & Needle -- though it claims to have more rigorous standards about foam and off-gassing, it's been the smelliest. It's faint but it's there even weeks later. But it has not made me wheeze, so I'm trusting I'm not being harmed.)

The first thing I learned is that mattress companies really DO honor their customer service policies. In fact, Mattress Firm was actually the best about it. In all cases, I received excellent service when I wanted to exchange. Second, I had been sleeping on air for nearly a decade and that made it hard to figure out what would work for me. I loved the lack of pressure points on a Sleep Number, but not the lack of support. My first mattress was an all foam from Saatva (the Loom & Leaf) and it was hard as a rock (to me). They explained that foam would soften and that I should crawl around on it to soften it up. It did soften up after a week, but not enough for my taste. It also smelled vaguely like stale coffee, which never dissipated. So thus, the exchanges began. I was very pleased with Saatva's design, the fact they delivered a full mattress and not one in a box, and their use of organic cotton. But their mattresses missed the middle firmness range -- most were very firm and one was very plush (the industry term for soft). If they could have nailed that medium range, I would have been happy to stay with them.

As mentioned above, I circled through several mattress designs before coming back to all foam again with the Tuft & Needle. But it was significantly less firm out of the box than the Loom & Leaf. Its adaptive foam is much more of a medium firmness from the start. But it got even more comfortable when Tuft & Needle sent a two-inch topper. For free. (Pro tip: The Internet mattress companies I dealt with were happy to send a topper for free if you requested it. I now have two.) I don't know how long a mattress like this will hold up, but at a $575 price point from Amazon, it's half the cost of a Saatva mattress and a quarter of the price of most of the Beautyrest mattresses. So I'm willing to gamble.

I know that comfort is largely subjective, but my Fitbit Alta has the hard data to back up my love of the Tuft & Needle. I cut my tossing and turning time in half with their mattress and topper. Bottom line: All the mattress companies I dealt with provided a great service and backed up their exchange promises, even going above and beyond. Tuft & Needle was the best value for the money and the most comfortable to sleep on. It was also the most work to haul a heavy box up to my bedroom and set up the mattress, which is the reason I avoided it in the beginning. But in the end, that effort was worth it.

Tuft & Needle, if you are reading this review, please consider manufacturing a mattress with four inches of your adaptive foam on top of your support layer, instead of just two inches. I'm very glad to have your free topper, but it makes the bed look lumpy and it doesn't stay in place. From all the reviews I've read, the topper was key to customer satisfaction for many people. You should seriously consider this option. I would have chosen that and paid a bit more for it, too, had it been available.
430 people found this helpful
|66 comments|Report abuse
on December 17, 2017
I upgraded to this after having the same old spring mattress for 13 years (waaaay too long). I've had it for around a month. I'm not a mattress expert, but I saw a lot of conflicting info in the reviews about the feel and firmness of the mattress so I'll provide my take on this.

The top layer of the mattress contains a cooling foam material. When you touch the mattress directly, you can definitely feel the heat being pulled away from your skin. This is awesome for people like me who can't sleep when a mattress is too warm.

As far as firmness goes, I would describe this mattress as soft, yet "supportive." In case this is not clear, that is a compliment, not a dig, and I don't think it should deter those looking for a firm mattress. I have chronic lower back issues and was afraid it might be too soft. That is not the case. This mattress is incredibly soft and comfortable on the top layer which is great for back or side sleeping. The lower foam layer is more dense and supportive which creates a nice supportive feel that allows the curvature of your body to sink into the mattress slightly while not putting your back and joints into uncomfortable positions. This is not a memory foam mattress so it bounces right back when you push against it. In my mind this helps it keep its form and support your back nicely.

I got the Queen for around $450 during Black Friday sales, and would absolutely buy it again. I would even pay full price for it knowing what I know now.

Note: Some people complain about gross chemical smells with these bed-in-a-box mattresses so I was very mindful of that. This mattress is of amazing quality, and there was absolutely no smell from the moment I opened it.
109 people found this helpful
|0Comment|Report abuse
on June 27, 2017
Wow! Let me start off by saying, I purchased a T&N 5" mattress almost two years ago exactly. We recently picked up bed bugs somewhere and chose, very sadly, to part with our T&N mattress even though it looks like the protective covering on T&N mattresses prevented bed bugs from making a home there. T&N no longer sells the 5" mattress, which was devastating news because both me and my boyfriend had been sleeping soundly and waking up without any back pain since we first purchased the 5" mattress.

I contacted T&N and explained our situation and asked if they could somehow let us purchase another 5" mattress. Who knows? I thought they would have some left in inventory or could work with me to get another 5" mattress. Instead, I sent an email at around 5am on a Saturday and received an incredibly personable and thoughtful response back around noon! They responded to my concerns and offered me a new 10" mattress FOR FREE. I haven't had many blow-me-away service experiences lately (as in the last few years, really) and even if T&N hadn't offered me a free mattress to replace our original 5" mattress, I would have been delighted by the response. You won't find better service than T&N. We had our new mattress by the end of the week!

Okay, now for the mattress details. The 5" mattress was excellent, no doubt, and that's why I was going right back to T&N to get another. The 10" mattress is like sleeping on a cloud that is the perfect level of firmness no matter what your perfect level of firmness is. It's hard to believe that a mattress can be designed in a seemingly simple way, but provide more comfort and support than any other mattress on which I've slept. The 10" mattress is superior to every mattress I can remember sleeping on in my 30 years. I suffer from lower back pain that only regular yoga helps. Since I started sleeping on the T&N 5" mattress two years ago, I have not experienced much, if any, back pain. It does not matter what size you are, firmness/softness preference, or if you are a hot sleeper - this mattress will have you sleeping through the night and waking up refreshed. Give T&N a chance and I don't think you will be disappointed. Even if you are disappointed for whatever reason you might be,T&N will work with you through their excellent customer service. You seriously have nothing to lose with this mattress, unless you are looking to miss out on a good night of sleep. In that case, stay away from T&N because you will sleep well once you have one of their mattresses!
review image
172 people found this helpful
on January 17, 2018
After 2 year of owning Tuft & Needle King Mattress, we are throwing in the towel. I don't want to believe it because we fell in love with the mattress in the beginning like so many others, but most reviews are less than 3 months of owning the mattress. The pain didn't start until after a 1 year of laying on it.
Before bed, I'd give myself a number from 1-10 of how sore I am, usually a 0-2, but I'd wake up in the morning and be at a 8. I did this every so often, and it's official. The mattress is the problem. I believe we sink to much into it, keep in mind i'm only 5'7 160 lbs, so not these huge guy! Wife also wakes up with soreness/pain just like me.

I notice if I lay flat on my back, the pain would be much worse in the mornings than when we slept on our side. Extremely disappointed, really had high expectations, but the pain is too much.
106 people found this helpful
|22 comments|Report abuse
on September 16, 2017
I've written a review before, but ft some reason it was not posted. This is the worst mattress I've ever bought. We purchased three mattresses in the last 6 months. Only one from Tuft & Needle - which resulted depressions formed within 4 months. My wife is a very small person, 128 lbs, I am larger, but both sides have holes that we don't into and can't roll out of. Initially the mattress is firm and it takes time to break in. We had a good month of wonderful sleep, until we started noticing it was harder and harder to roll from side to side. Last time I took pictures of my level showing just how deep these go. About an inch and a half. Our last mattress took 15 years to get half this wear. We still have it in our guest bedroom and prefer it over T&N.
165 people found this helpful
|33 comments|Report abuse
on May 15, 2015
tl;dr: Great mattress, after some hurdles that were deftly cleared by stellar customer service. The entire saga, beginning with my original (unfavorable) review is below:

It hurts me to write this review for such a beloved product. Literally... I first became aware of this company when a blogger friend of mine wrote a sponsored post. I don't usually pay too much attention to the kind of endorsements you see on sponsored blogs ("they gave this to us for free, naturally we LOVE it"), but I know these people & trust their integrity. So when, several months after the initial post, they wrote a follow up reiterating their praises, I was intrigued. I'd been looking for a new mattress for awhile and this company's origin story was so relatable. I loved their mission, their philosophy, their business model. When I ordered my mattress directly from their site in January, I loved their efficient, friendly, but unobtrusive service. Unfortunately I cannot say the same for the product.

I want to be clear that I'm not disputing the raves others have had. My blogger friends are 20-something skinny-hipsters while I'm a more ample Gen-X type. But three months in, it's become impossible to sleep on. The center of the mattress, while no visible indentation is present, has softened so much that it compresses significantly and quickly under my hips as soon as I lie down. By contrast, the pressure on my shoulders is beyond firm - which, as I'm a side sleeper, can be pretty uncomfortable. It's not possible to lie on this mattress for more than 2 minutes and maintain a neutral body posture. It's a pain in the neck. Literally! Again!

As I said, the mattress snows no visible indentation, so I don't think my problems fall under warranty or defective product. But I wanted to put this out there & let you know that if you're a chubby side-sleeper, this probably isn't the mattress for you. Pity.

Update: Upgrading from two stars to four. You've got to give a company props for working so hard to make their customers happy. I heard from customer service shortly after posting this review and was assured that the uneven firmness I've experienced is "definitely not normal" and offered a replacement at no charge. My new mattress arrives tomorrow and I'm comfortable saying that, even if this doesn't turn out to be the perfect mattress for me, Tuft & Needle as a company gets my recommendation. They're willing to stand behind their product and that's impressive these days.

Second Update: Have now been using the replacement mattress for a couple of months and am happy to report that it remains very comfortable. It seemed slightly less dense than the first mattress from the beginning, but has provided a very pleasant balance of soft & supportive. I'm officially a fan and also very grateful to the fine folks at Tuft & Needle for taking the initiative to fix this...they have my utmost respect. It took awhile -- but they've earned all 5 stars.

Final Update: Hi people! I didn't realize there had been so much interest in this review - sorry if I left your questions hanging. I've been sleeping on the replacement mattress for over a year now, and am happy to report that it remains one of the most comfortable mattresses I've ever owned. I'm even happier about getting a consistent, comfortable night's sleep. In my opinion T&N service AND product have earned every one of the five stars in this rating.
6,233 people found this helpful
|5150+ comments|Report abuse
on August 15, 2017
NOTE: This review was written by my husband Thomas MacEntee

Sleep Wanted: Why I Chose the Tuft & Needle Mattress

So you may be wondering . . . what does sleep and a new mattress have to do with genealogy? Well, let me tell you, this genealogist has suffered through years of sleep deprivation and issues due to various causes. Over the past few years I’ve worked on tackling many of these causes (such as losing over 110 lbs) and recently in June 2017, I tackled another: getting a better mattress. I had heard friends and family talk about different online mattress vendors and I didn’t believe that making a major bedding purchase this way would work. But it did and I opted to get a Tuft & Needle mattress via Amazon. Here’s my experience:

Death to the Mattress Store

I HATE shopping for a mattress and as I get older, I just hate shopping in-person. Period. [Insert “cranky old man, get off my front lawn” comment]. My husband George and I purchase almost everything we need on Amazon (cereal, tea, coffee, shampoo, and clothing). We get so many deliveries from Amazon via UPS that one week when we had nothing delivered the UPS man did a “wellness check” on us. For realz.

Mattress stores seem to spawn overnight on every street corner here in Chicago. To me, they are just one step above used car lots. The process of making a purchase is a nightmare and I’ve always felt “dirty” just walking in the showroom.

And what about those prices and so-called “deals” you see in the paper or during television commercials? It seems that the model in the ad is never available or that each store seems to have its own special model of a known mattress brand so it isn’t easy to compare.

And finally, one of the shady practices is not accepting returns very easily. If you read the contract that a mattress store has you sign, there are many hoops you need to jump through: you have to have a certain type of frame and forget it if you try to just get the mattress and use your own box spring. The mattress stores have set themselves up to never fail at the expense of the consumer.

A Better Mattress Buying Process

Over the past few years, one of the industries that have gone through major “disruption” is the mattress industry. I was very hesitant when I started seeing ads online for basically “mail order” bedding. And we’re not talking a process where you buy a mattress at say Costco and then have it delivered with “white glove service” at an extra charge. We are talking ordering a mattress – sight unseen – on Amazon and having it delivered via UPS or Fedex.

Could this really work? What if I didn’t like the mattress? Why didn’t I need a box spring? Would the mattress work with my current bed frame? I had lots of questions and I was able to get all the answers I needed at Tuft & Needle.

Well, imagine ordering the mattress you want, having it delivered for FREE (thanks to Amazon Prime) in just two days, and getting a great night’s sleep within another two days?

Here’s How My Tuft & Needle Experience Unfolded

It literally unfolded. The package with my Tuft & Needle Full mattress was delivered via Fedex to my doorstep and it weighed 57 pounds. After I dragged it up two flights of stairs, it was removed from the packaging. I followed the instructions to let the mattress “come alive” once the vacuum package was opened. The recommendation is to wait 48 hours before using the Tuft & Needle mattress so that it can fully come into its own form. After that, it was easily to lift and place into my new bed frame/foundation.

And My Sleep Results with Tuft & Needle?

I couldn’t be happier with this amazing mattress. It is firm in all the right places. It is comfortable and fully supportive. While I know it won’t cure my arthritis, I am not in as much pain when I get out of bed each morning. And no more “coil noise” with this memory foam mattress.

I’m now looking at purchasing another Tuft & Needle mattress for the other bedroom and even for the condo in Palm Springs.

Recommendation: Zinus SmartBase Mattress Foundation

As part of the ordering process via Amazon, I determined that my current bed frame – while it would have accommodated my new Tuft & Needle mattress, was too low to the ground. Without a conventional bed spring I would have had difficulty getting out of bed (due to severe osteo-arthritis). I shopped around at Amazon and I purchased the Zinus SmartBase Mattress Foundation for $79 and had it also delivered for free via Amazon Prime.

The frame was so easy to set up (it folds – nothing to screw together!) and it sits 14 inches off the ground. This means I get to store more crap under the bed! It is the perfect companion to the Tuft & Needle mattress and I highly recommend making this purchase along with the mattress.

Why I am Impressed with Tuft & Needle

I’m very impressed with Tuft & Needle as a company and with their product. And check out this recent review at Consumer Reports. This was the first mention of Tuft & Needle when I was researching online and the information led me to do some more research and ultimately make my Tuft & Needle purchase via Amazon.

Other things that impressed me about Tuft & Needle:

Returns were easy and guaranteed via Amazon for the first 100 nights’ sleep.

The company has ethics and provides great customer service: one woman recounted via an Amazon review how she needed more time to test the mattress (she and her husband traveled a lot) and ultimately they were not happy with it. Tuft & Needle said, “no problem” and had the woman donate the mattress to the local Salvation Army. Once she sent Tuft & Needle the receipt for the donation, she got a full refund. Now how’s that for customer service?

All Tuft & Needle products are made in the United States
They even offer an 18% discount at Amazon if you feel comfortable purchasing returned Tuft & Needle mattresses. Click here for more information.

Conclusion

For someone in the late Baby Boomer generation (born in 1962), I tend to be torn between traditional methods of doing something and taking a chance on a new process. I’m glad I was willing to try out the Tuft & Needle mattress on Amazon and I will NEVER go back to purchasing a mattress through a furniture store or one of those horrid mattress stores.

Now if there were only an online solution to getting rid of an old mattress and box spring. Perhaps the folks at Tuft & Needle can come up with a solution?
56 people found this helpful
on February 27, 2018
I really wanted to like this mattress. My wife has been badgeing me get a new bed. I had been researching options other than $2000 king bed options from standard brick and mortar stores, then I found Tuft and Needle. The price seemed too good to me true and unfortunately it was.

Heat: My wife is a bit of a warm sleeper. She is usually warm in general. This mattress is way hotter than our old standard spring mattress. She wakes up in a pool of sweat constantly.

Comfort level: I like a firm mattress in general, my wife is indifferent in this category. I’m a bigger guy so I like a firmer mattress with support. For me the mattress is just not comfortable. I wake up with back pains no matter which way I sleep.

Settling: we have only been using the mattress for 60 days and the mattress is already developing grooves for both of us. This does not bode well for long term reliability. I expect a mattress to last 7-8 years and I really don’t think this would last.
19 people found this helpful
on August 4, 2017
We have been sleeping on this mattress for 2 months now and can already feel how it is sunk in on the sides and higher in the middle just as we experienced with our last pillow top. The big difference is it took our pillow top years to get that way, not months. We believed after reading so many reviews of alleviating the aches and pains that come from sleeping on a bad mattress that we were finally on track to blissful sleep. Now after 2 months, my husband's back pain is actually worse! He has to spend his first 2 hours every morning stretching before getting any relief. He has been begging me to get rid of this mattress and move to the next option whatever that will be. Now to top it off, we got the shipping return label from Amazon and UPS says that will not cover it and we need pay for return packaging and freight because of its size. Ugh!!!!!!!!!
97 people found this helpful
on January 19, 2018
We have ordered king size mattress and the height of the mattress is not 10 inches. We have measured the length and it’s about 7.5inches tall. Very disappointed that they would mislead costumers with their measurements! Our backboard is very tall, even with a tall baseboard the mattress still is not tall enough as we thought it would have been an actual 10 inches tall
22 people found this helpful