Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Train Electronics Gift Guide $54.99 for a limited time only Try it first with samples Handmade Last Minute Gifts Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon JCVJ JCVJ JCVJ  All-new Echo Save $10 on Fire 7. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite Trade in. Get paid. Go shopping. Shop now HTL17_gno

on January 18, 2015
If you have good and experienced ears you can get your drums sounding pretty good. For those who consider themselves in that camp, you don't need this device. But I would say that even folks with "good ears" and decades of experience will do a better job of tuning, and do it much quicker, and ore consistently with this little device. As others will point out, it takes a little patience and yes, even a little experience (tuning a few drums with the device) to use it effectively. There are indeed moments when you get values that are outliers, wildly off from previous pitch readings, but you learn to identify those for what they are, stray values. Getting consistent readings is improved if you tune the drum away from the kit, in a quiet environment, and hit the heads with the same force and at the same distance from the rim. WIth a little time, you learn how to get more consistent results and the "filter" mode is essential to getting proper results. There are lots of youtube and internet videos on how do to all this.
Bottom line? It works. You can know tell what note your drum is tuned to. You can decide what note you'd like it be tune to, and with a little practice get it there with very impressive accuracy in about 5 minutes per drum. With that kind of speed and accuracy, you'll be able to experiment with different tunings and intervals across the toms and learn what notes each individual drum "prefers". Why not 5 stars? The occasional stray value, which is likely real and not an artifact does make this just a bit of an "art". But anyone can master it if you devote 1-2 hours of self training with a few toms. My Yamaha birch absolutes sound much better after using this little device.

Use Tips and Review Update Jan 19
Some reviewers (including me above) comment on getting "spurious" frequency results with the TuneBot. You can indeed get multiple frequencies but they aren't random and they aren't really mistakes. When you hit a drum, the recorded sound is almost always a mix of several frequencies. TuneBot has built in algorithms that select what it thinks is the fundamental frequency, but like all algorithms, sometimes it gets it wrong (usually by reporting/showing a higher than expected frequency). The common frequencies detected when a drum is hit include the true fundamental frequency of the "drum" and the frequency of the "head" which will be about 1.5 times (range of perhaps 1.2x times to 2x) the fundamental frequency of the drum. Head frequencies are always higher than the overall drum frequency. If you know the approximate note of your drum as it exists or want it tuned, it's fairly easy to identify these higher reported frequencies as being "head frequencies" or related harmonics. There are other reasons for getting what looks like spuriously high values, but this is one of the big ones.

Accepting the lowest recorded frequency is usually the best tip to use as the "fundamental" freq. If you then select the filter option, it's fairly easy to tune from there.
I checked TuneBot against a very inexpensive IPhone app (about $5) that does almost the same thing (no names mentioned). They both have to deal with the "multiple reported frequency" issues, because it's just the nature of the audio physics. Both "devices" occasionally report the wrong frequency as the fundamental frequency. Both the TuneBot and the Iphone app provide similar (but not identical) numerical results. Using both simultaneously on the same drum generates values that are within 2-5 Hz of each other, and occasionally identical. This is again due to algorithmic choices used to identify the "center" of the band of frequencies the "device" interprets as the fundamental frequency. The point is that you have to have at least a readout tolerance of perhaps 0-5Hz for any frequency measured.
They each have strengths and weaknesses. Either could work very well by itself, and because they aren't identical, using both is better than using either alone.
on July 27, 2012
I have been playing for over 30 years and tuning my kit was always very important to me. Some drummers just want to bang on stuff, others want melodic value from their kits . . . if you are one of the latter, like me, you would spend a LOT of time listening to each little tap around the drum to get that melodic match. This little "toy" just made short work of that chore!

Here's what it comes down to (the filter setting) . . . if you are serious about tuning your drums and getting the best sound from each, you know the "bad cousin in the room" has always been isolating overtones to get the pitch just right AND consistent while tuning each lug. I also play some guitar, so I used to tune my guitar using "harmonics" and wished I could do the same (without spending so much time) for drums . . . well, it's not so easy.

Once you decide (or take from the suggested settings) the HZ level that gives you the "pitch" you want from each drum . . . you lock the filter there and can tune each lug PRECISELY to that HZ level all around the head . . . AND turn the drum over and do the same with the bottom head. I prefer my bottom heads tuned slightly higher than the batter head (about 39Hz higher) . . . the ability to do that with the precision of a guitar or piano tuner is AWESOME!!!

Note: Tune-bot has suggested settings for drums and they are quite good . . . but every drummer is different and wants that unique sound to them and their kit . . . once you find it, you set it in memory and tuning becomes quick.

LOVE THIS PRODUCT!!
11 comment| 40 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on December 14, 2016
It's a great product. I've always tuned by ear and will continue to do so, but this product helps you fine tune the drum and lets you be able to maintain a particular sound again in the future. Or you can tune your drums like another artist's listed tunebot settings.
It would be great if the product was American made- that's my only gripe> I can't stand supporting manufacturing in a country that hates the US.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
Tune-Bot is fantastic, no other word to describe it. I own a recording studio and have an 8 piece DW drum set with four rack toms and two floor toms. Tuning this beast has always been guess work or trial and error. I've been playing music for over 45 years and have a very well developed ear for pitch. I've owned many drum sets before acquiring my current DW kit which is by far the most musical set of drums I've ever owned.

Tune-Bot helped me tune my kit precisely to Major 3rd musical intervals which sounds very melodic. I tried many different tuning assistants including torque wrenches and iPhone apps but nothing compares to Tune-Bot for speed, repeatability and accuracy.

Would you try to tune a piano using only your ear? Why would you tune drums by ear? When I've had smaller drum sets I've tuned by ear but with this many toms in the kit I needed something precise and Tune-Bot is the answer I've been looking for. Using information from the Tune-Bot website I calculated the top and bottom lug tunings for medium resonance, the overall pitch of each drum was within 4Hz of the target frequencies when I finished and I was able to tune each drum in only 10 minutes.

Before Tune-Bot I could spend half a day fussing over just my two floor toms trying to get them to sound right together. Now that I have Tune-Bot my drums sound fantastic and very musical. I was surprised to see how high I needed to tune up my bottom heads, I'd been tuning them too low by just using my ear.

No more MoonGel or dampening rings needed, with the top and bottom head precisely tuned relative to each other, resonance is controlled, even and musical.

If you're good at tuning your drums by ear, great. But if you're ready to step up to science, take your kits tuning to the best it can be and get rid of crutches like sticking tape and goo on your heads then give Tune-Bot a try. It's a really small price compared to all the money I've spent on drums and cymbals.

Good music to all!
on November 15, 2017
I really like this device when used in conjunction with their app. The app will help you decide on the tunings you will want based on your sound parameters. You can also see the the tunings used by some famous drummers. My kit sounds so good now. About 80% of your drums sound comes from the heads, so getting them tuned properly makes a huge difference!

If you have many years if experience, and already know exactly how to get the sounds you want, then this may not be for you, but I'm not there yet, and this was a huge help!

Just make sure to download their app, or use their website to determine the tunings you should try.
on May 23, 2017
Finally I'm able to tune my drums and get repeatable results and do it in a fraction of time that it used to. The artist tuning numbers listed on their website are very helpful. My set has never sounded so good. Highly recommended product. Read the directions and pay attention to the comments about setting the filtering.
on October 10, 2016
takes a little while to figure it out but once you understand how to set it up its very fast for perfect tuning watch the videos and make sure drum is on the ground while tuning each head seperately
on May 8, 2017
If you read their marketing copy it's all true. What they don't tell you is that it make you love your drums more because they sound better and you have more control over sound. It takes a little while to get used to it but don't get frustrated. Take a little time to learn how to use the TuneBot and drum tuning, and experimenting with your sound will become something you look forward to doing.
on September 11, 2016
At 53 yrs. old w/ partial hearing loss and poor tuning abilities, this electronic drum tuner is the bomb! Like the electronic guitar tuner, this device, after learning it's use and capabilities, will get your drums sounding to near perfect tune. I had also downloaded Tunebot's phone app and have been using selected Drummer Tune Setups in Hz, to give me a variety of good sounding drum tones.
on November 22, 2016
Works OK, but my preference is the standard way of tensioning drum heads.
One negative for me was that I had to hit the head hard to get the unit to register.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.