Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Womens Ski Trip Essentials nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New year, new music. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Garnet Jewelry modern furniture and decor Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Shop movie deals exclusively for Prime members on Amazon Video Shop movie deals exclusively for Prime members on Amazon Video Shop movie deals exclusively for Prime members on Amazon Video  Echo Dot Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Paperwhite The Evil Within 2 Shop now

on February 18, 2013
In general, this version of TurboTax worked just as the others have done. I had trouble downloading my old tax files from last year. Internet Explorer kept saying it couldn't open the site (I had done last year's return using the online version, and a copy of the file in the correct format, .tax, was not saved on my computer). After about 15 minutes of fiddling around and trying various help options through TurboTax I finally got it to download so that this year's desktop version could import the old information - which is one of the GREAT features about using TurboTax for multiple years. Just FYI, the TurboTax software also said it could import info from the H&R Block software from the previous year.

Now the other annoyance: Although free preparation of one state return was included with the software purchase, e-filing costs an additional $19.99. I was confused by that, thinking that of course, e-filing would be included in the price of the software, so spent some time waiting in a queue for a chat help person - who confirmed that, yes, it would cost $19.99 to e-file my state return (federal e-filing was free). I decided to just print the paper copy and mail it. I checked to be sure the state return had all the needed documents to file, and it did - so yay, TurboTax!

Other than the initial difficulty I had getting last year's info imported into this year's return, plus my annoyance at finding out that e-filing would cost extra, this software is a real time-saver. I really like that it transfers last year's data into the new file and gives you a two-year comparison along the way so you can error-check yourself, and also see how your situation has changed for the better or for the worse. Since I have moved into a state that does not collect personal income tax, I will not need the state version next year. I plan to continue to use this software unless it becomes cost-prohibitive. It is very easy to use in general; since the new laws and forms are updated each year, I feel confident that my taxes have been prepared correctly. I liked the amazon.com price (about $10 less than the "discount" offered by TurboTax itself for early purchase), so hope to get TurboTax software from amazon next year.
on February 10, 2013
Useless customer service. Don't buy it unless you did it before, or you know what you are doing and don't need any support. I just spent 40 minutes chatting with somebody who had no idea what forms I am talking about. If i could I would return this software
on May 19, 2013
We have used TurboTax for many years and it really is great--thorough and reliable. However, we have been frustrated this year because it seems that it asks you questions and if you do not know the answer to that question, but you DO know what to enter for that item on the taxes, there is not a good way for you to override the question format and just enter the data. If there is a way to do this, it was not as straightforward as in other years.

We were also disappointed with the help provided for determining basis on original investments. When it comes to things that have nuances (like a gift to a minor many years ago and minor is now 18), TurboTax really let us down. College expenses are another thing that we felt were not handled well in the TurboTax questioning. The message boards were full--chock full--of similar questions as ours. This is a good sign that TurboTax is not addressing basic issues faced by many users on these issues.

If this were a more basic version of TurboTax, this would be forgivable. But this is the PREMIER version, and it is supposed to really really really help you on complex issues.
on March 28, 2013
I've had a tax accountant do my taxes for the past couple of years, but I wanted to try filing it myself. I usually pay about $60 for my taxes since mine is really easy ... W-2, student loan, some investment, and that's about it. I wanted to see if there were any cost benefits to filing my own taxes with this software. Here's my experience:

Compared to hiring a tax accountant to do my taxes for me ...
Of course, paying $60 to have someone do my taxes for me was much easier. But, I found that I had to remember to give the guy the forms on my own. He wouldn't ask me questions, and like a fool I kept forgetting my student loan interests. AND, the guy didn't transfer any capital loss to the next year ($3,000 is max per year but is transferable to the next year).

Compared to doing it paper and pen ...
No comparison. Doing taxes the old paper and pen method was confusing and required knowledge on which schedules to use for the interests, dividends and investments.

Installation Process ...
I bought the Premier edition (PC download), downloaded the software and installed it. That was a painless and straight forward process. But, when I tried to use TurboTax it asked me to check for updates then downloaded updates. Hmm ... it was a bit strange considering I just downloaded the software from scratch. I guess, the updates aren't part of the initial software installation. Nevertheless, it was still painless. BTW, you should update since the updates include tax policy changes.

Why did I buy the premier edition?
I had stock investments and dividends, loan interest deductions, and retirement deductions. The other edition didn't cover stocks. Also, I thought the premier edition had state tax efile included with the cost. But, it's an additional charge of $19.99 per efile. The product description did not say that state efiles are not included. But, at the same time, they do not say that state efiles are included. Yes, I know, it's confusing. But, that's basically what they did in the product description. They should have told us that state efiles are an additional $19.99 even for the premier edition.

How long did it take me?
It took me about 30 minutes. There were a lot of questions that covered various investments and possible deductions. I had all the necessary tax forms in front of me before starting. Or, at least, I thought I did. I forgot about my student loan, again. It's a good thing the questions were thorough.

What did I like the best?
The step-by-step wizard that helped guide me through the whole tax return form including filling all the schedules. I didn't have to manually fill the schedules. It asked several questions and filled out the appropriate schedules for me. You can fill the schedule manually (it has the option), but I'm not familiar with the schedules (and, frankly, I don't want to figure it out). I liked the question marks next to some of the questions. They helped explain the question and the relevance of the question to the tax return.

What did I NOT like about the software?
There was a bit of a surprise when I tried to efile my state tax return. I thought, it came with free state tax return efile since it's the Premier edition. But, it didn't. I would have to pay $19.99 for the state efile. But, you can print out the 540 and schedules, and mail them. I could go directly to the state tax franchise website and file the 540 there, but I would have to fill everything out from scratch. So, I'm going to mail the state tax returns ... and wait for the confirmations (hopefully, everything went through smoothly) and tax refund. The good thing about tax efiles is that I know pretty much right away if something is wrong with the tax return. I don't have to wait for weeks for a letter from the IRS stating that my tax return was incorrect and that the calculation was wrong.

Can I save the filled forms as a PDF or print it?
Yes on both. Once, I finished my taxes I had the option of printing the forms or saving the forms as a PDF. I was able to save each individual forms separately. I like saving my 540 separately from my 1040 forms. But, it also gave me the option of combining everything into one PDF file.

Was it worth it to me?
Yes, only because I was able to distribute the software cost with my family (upto 5). Otherwise, I could pay $60 for someone to prepare my taxes for me without the hassle and headache of going through the questionnaire.

Don't get me wrong, I felt that the questions were necessary and helped me find the best possible outcome (more money back). But, the good thing about hiring my tax accountant is that he knew the ins and outs of taxes. But, my taxes are pretty simple and doesn't require a tax accountant. For people who own businesses or have a much more complicated life (financially) I would suggest hiring a CPA and plan your taxes (charitable contributions, tax estimates, sell at a loss, long term investment tax versus short term, tax deferred contributions and so on).

Overall, I would buy it again. The wizard helped me through the process and tried to find various possible deductions. At the end, I did feel a bit exhausted. There were a lot of questions, but that's expected; and, for me, it's not a bad thing. I'd rather cover everything now then file an amendment.

My gripe with the additional state efile cost of $19.99 did not warrant a 3 or less star. I did like the software itself, and the process that Intuit has figured out to get an average person like me to be able to fill out my tax return. Thanks Intuit, but next time please state that an additional charge for state efiles will apply.
on February 21, 2013
Purchased TurboTax reluctantly, after disappointment with TaxAct, only to find that a form provided to settle my father's estate is not included. For this, Intuit wants another $75 for a new software package. No update credit, for which I would gladly pay.

About what I have come to expect from Intuit. At least I was not disappointed in my low opinion.

Back to TaxAct and $55 wasted.
on March 6, 2013
I have used the Turbo Tax Deluxe download product for many years and found it to be a good product. This year I had some additional investment complexity and decided to upgrade to TurboTax Premier.

On the positive side, it provides some guidance for entering information about exercise of incentive stock options.

On the negative side, although it proports to look up the value of purchased stock on any given date, this support is incomplete, and for two stocks I sold of companies that went through reorganizations, TT Premier was not able to find the price on my purchase date. So I had to go back through old records and find the data myself.
Additionally, for one of my investments, I wanted to capitalize carrying costs. There is ABSOLUTELY NO SUPPORT for this in TT Premier. No prompting or mention of this option. No ability to create the required statement. Worse, you can use a blank form to manually create the statement, and when your return is ready, TT will recommend e-filing. However, there was a discussion thread in the TT community where a super-user posted that if you do this, your statement will not be included with the filed return!! This sounds like bad news as far as your capitalization election and future problems with the IRS. Instead, you have to print and mail a paper copy.

Overall, I got almost no additional value from the increased cost in Premier vs. Deluxe.
on April 14, 2013
I have been using Turbotax for a very long time (more than 15 years or so) and it has consistently delivered a close to flawless experience in filing taxes. The user interface is very intuitive and the guided walk-through makes things very simple. I have explored some of the more esoteric (at least for me) aspects of tax filing and have been impressed that it does cover these as smoothly as other routine items. Downloading of electronic statements from various provides, e.g., ADP for W-2, Vanguard, Fidelity, etc., for 1099's is very handy and saves quite a bit of time on entry/checking. I also like the fact that it sets options for questionnaire items very astutely and helpfully marks non-typical choices as such so that you can ignore inappropriate choices quickly. E-filing is also well implemented and works without hassles.

There have been two instances in the past where I have gone to H&R Block or local tax preparers instead of using the Turbotax route. This was to see whether they offered any advantages to Turbotax. In my case, at least, I have found zero reason to use them instead of Turbotax. In all cases, including Turbotax, most of the time is spent on pulling all the relevant data together. So, doing it via Turbotax is not more taxing (pardon) the pun than tax preparers or H&R Block. I especially think using Turbotax is far better that H&R Block-type services - the latter don't really deal with exotic situations well and in many instances seem to add little value in providing an understanding of what your options are in tax-related issues.

My only quibble may be in the way in which Turbotax allows you to modify entries made via the questionnaire. It requires a step-through of the entire item rather than showing a "Finish" option on intermediate pages. This is alleviated by the fact that, since it picks up entry fields from before, it simply involves stepping through, accepting the "default: choices presented.

I use the installed version of the product rather than the online one... still not comfortable with all my tax info being permanently resident at Intuit. It is a 50-80$ that is well spent!
on March 5, 2013
My main downside is Turbotax is excruciatingly slow installing, updating and firing up on a PC - my PC is decently fast but Turbotax is by far the most frustrating slow of anything I use. I usually start it then go to other things for a while but even then it frequently stops for extra bs I have to do before it really gets going on my return and even bribing up the return seems very slow.

With the changes in tax laws that require you to decide your cost basis for all brokerage and mutual accounts - brokers like Ameritrade and investment companies like Vanguard that I use can now automatically do all the cost basis calculation for you and Turbotax can automatically import all of the information for you direct from your broker or mutual fund. Previously I could import information but I had to spend sometimes many hours digging through my records or online account to figure my costs basis. With that all done for my by my financial companies and Turbotax importing it, my major time and effort on taxes was slashed this year to a fraction of what it previously required. slashed. I highly recommend Turbotax now for people with lots of investment tax information they have with major financial institutions. I expect other tax products do the same but it was great now to be able to have Turbotax do this all for me automatically.

My Utah state tax got me into some weird situation I really did not understand and for one small line item there I never did quite figure it out - zeroed it out and paid a very small amount more on state taxes - my state tax commission wasn't of help about it either.

One place on the federal return I made a mistake with an entry and then it was very hard to clear it our and get it off my forms when Turbotax was checking them - it kept insisting for a non-zero entry since I originally said I had something there - it was frustrating to get rid of it - nothing obvious worked..

On those 2 small items I felt Turbotax was worse this year - I don;t recall creating entries or replying positively by mistake then having so much trouble correcting or deleting the erroneous info.

The slowness and 2 small problems I had keep me from giving Turbotax 5 stars. The auto import and auto cost bsis for investments will keep me using Turbotax or similar products to save me a lot of time and headaches on investment while figuring out my taxes.
on July 29, 2013
Basically it does what it says it will do on basic taxes and I have used it satisfacorily for years to handle reporting all the info. for my rental property. But this year I had to report some special circumstances for my rental prop. and TurboTax offered NO support: not in the software, the forums or from the TurboTax experts. I had to report a change in cost basis for my property due to my husband's death in 2012, capitalize the cost of improvements I was making in order to put it on the market and report the depreciation on the original basis. These circumstances have to be fairly common, but TurboTax didn't pick it up and deal with it AT ALL; and please note that I bought the premier version which is supposed to deal with rental props. When I asked a TurboTax expert via their chat feature how to report these events, he told me that TurboTax wasn't set up to handle this situation. ??? When he instructed me to end the chat session before sending me the transcript; I pointed out that ending the session would prevent me receiving the transcript, but he insisted that he couldn't send it to me UNTIL I ended the session. Needless to say, he was wrong.

I had to do ALL the research and legwork to figure out how to report these events, so ended up feeling as though I might as well have filed on paper, there was basically no advantage to using TurboTax this year.
on October 7, 2014
Initially, I had a lot of problems downloading it in a way that I was able to save information. Believe me, I was not happy after having worked for a couple of hours only to have it say that I could not save anything. Mainly because there were errors that needed to be checked, but I was tired. I ended up going to another service (paying $200.00) to get them to help me figure out why I was having downloading issues. They finally figured it out, cleaned up some downloads, and I was able to at least find the download and work on my taxes (the next day).

In either case, after contacting Amazon (and Intuit) I received an email confirming my purchase and giving me a link to go to. This time, the Premier worked as it should have in the first place.

After opening the link, I was able to complete my 2012 taxes in no time.