Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Month Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Only: $49.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheTick TheTick TheTick  Three new members of the Echo family Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18PP_gno

on June 7, 2016
Genesis was considered progressive rock when I was a kid & my 20 year old daughter just discovered one of their hit songs & thought it was a new release. I had yet replaced my old Genesis tapes to C.D. so I picked this up as well as Peter Gabriel's Greatest Hits & Phil Collins greatest Hits to introduce her to their individual talents as well as their collaborated efforts with the band Genesis. I think the song that caught her ear was " That's All" & I new she would love their greatest hits as well as Peter's & Phil's. I really hope the C.D. format holds on for a very long time I am sick of buying collections to update technology advances. I bought the Beatles on Vinyl, 8 track, cassette, & C.D. I should have stock in Apple by now!!! I am glad she was into genesis its been awhile since I listened to them & have really enjoyed hearing them again after many years. They were truly geniuses! It also reminded me I need to update my 2 favorite Super tramp albums " Crime of the century" & " Breakfast in America"...2 Rock classics!!
on July 19, 2017
I recently purchased this CD since I didn't have any of these songs and wanted to hear them again. I just listened to the Amazon AutoRip version and I have to say, I forgot how many great hit songs Genesis had. This disc is centered around the Phil Collins era and their major radio success. There are two tracks with Peter Gabriel here but if you are looking for more Gabriel oriented material you should look for either Genesis the Platinum Collection or So (25th Anniversary Remaster).

If you are looking for a one disc collection featuring mostly Phil Collins era Genesis radio hits, this is the collection you want. This is full of very recognizable hits that even someone who doesn't know a lot about Genesis would recognize. Probably the most well-known songs are Invisible Touch; Land Of Confusion; Tonight, Tonight, Tonight; In Too Deep; That's All and Throwing It All Away. While most of the other tracks weren't huge radio singles here in America, most are really great songs.
on February 1, 2018
I'm not a big enough Genesis fan to bother buying all their albums. This compilation hits the mark just right, for me. It has all the songs I wanted plus a couple I hadn't heard before. All in all, a nearly perfect blend of Genesis' best.
on August 15, 2013
While I have many Genesis albums on vinyl and a few on cassette, I only have one on CD. When I saw this Greatest Hits CD for a great price, I could not resist. The selection on the album is skewed toward the last five albums, but that is where Genesis had their radio heyday. Big hits like Invisible Touch, In Too Deep, and Hold On My Heart are paired withclassics like Misunderstanding, Turn It On Again, and Abacab. To these familiar hits are added some not so familiar but equally enjoyable songs: I Know What I Like, Congo, and, especially, the remake of The Carpet Crawlers. You can argue what songs should have been included or should have been excluded, but it is a fun collection that keeps me singing while listening.
on January 13, 2018
Good selection of early songs but there should have been more, instead of HALF the album filled with Invisible Touch and We can’t Dance!
on April 17, 2013
Genesis songs "everyone" should recognize: "Invisible Touch," "Follow You Follow Me," "Misunderstanding," "Hold On My Heart"

* Mostly second-era Genesis from the 1980s, the "Phil Collins years" fills this album

* 18 tracks, digitally remastered, not all recognizable radio hits

* Heavy on the synthesizer for these dramatic pop favorites

Exceptions to the 1980s consistency of the album:

* "I Know What I Like (In Your Wardrobe)" is out-of-place, coming from the early 70s with its reggae style and featuring Peter Gabriel

* "Congo" is from the post Phil collin years with a different serious rock flavor

* "The Carpet Crawlers" is a 1999 remake

There is a box set that covers the Peter Gabriel years. This CD is designed for the casual fan or for the listener who wants an album with just the 80s radio hits (and a few of Genesis' last contributions in the 20th century). Buy this for what it has, not because you want a "complete" collection; you'll just be disappointed.

Examples of more complete Genesis collections:

Genesis Live 1973-2007 (8 CD/3 DVD)

Genesis Archive, Vol. 1: 1967-1975

Other artists you may enjoy:

The Definitive Rod Stewart (2 CD)

Greatest Hits 1 & 2
By Journey

The Very Best of Chicago: Only the Beginning
on March 21, 2013
I had Genesis songs on tapes many years ago and have some Phil Colllins CD's but I missed many of the songs I had listened to when he was with Genisis. I decided to purchase a CD that had the most hit songs so I bought Genesis Greatest Hits CD and have not taken it out of my truck CD player since I first put it in.

The CD plays one hit after another and their music is so soothing that I really relax listening to the songs while driving home from work. Even if I have had a bad day, I find this CD one that can take me out of my funk and by the time I reach home, I'm feeling better having listened to Genesis.

I really like this CD. I have enjoyed it more than I thought I would and money well spent, in my opinion.
HALL OF FAMEon September 21, 2001
It's too hard to compress a representative enough sample of the best music that a band pulled together in 30 years of work, and the attempt of a greatest hits album of Genesis is no exception to this.
But the main problem this album has is not that it's not enough to showcase the best work of the band. It's that it's focused on the later work of the band, with only "I know what I like" and a new version of "Carpet Crawlers" taken from the Peter Gabriel period of the band (1969 - 1975). While it's true that back then the band was not a generator of hits as it was during the Collins era, the album totally overlooks some truly outstanding works of the band such as "The Musical Box," "Supper's Ready" and "The Cinema Show" just to name three: I guess their absence can only be justified in terms of their lenghts, which would have made the resulting album consist of far less songs or be double.
Anyway, I give it four stars, because regardless of all of the above, all the songs that made it to the album are great songs.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on October 31, 2017
What can I say , great songs .RJ
on January 9, 2018
Great music. I had forgotten about some of the band's hits.