- Includes FREE MP3 version of this album Here's how (restrictions apply)
Turtleneck & Chain [CD/DVD] [Explicit] Explicit Lyrics
|Listen Now with Prime Music Join Prime||Prime Members|
Turtleneck & Chain
|New from||Used from|
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Special Offers and Product Promotions
Top Customer Reviews
I'll gladly go even further to say that they've saved SNL.
Now, that said, the second Lonely Island album, Turtleneck & Chain, is not as good as the first.
In a nutshell, the first album had more tracks that didn't need to rely on the accompanying video to get the joke across, the song itself was finny enough and was enhanced by the video.
While there are a few songs on Turtleneck & Chain that are just great without seeing the joke (like the opener 'We're Back!', 'I Just Had Sex' and 'Motherlover'), the majority of the others ('Shy Ronnie 2', 'Threw It On The Ground', 'The Creep', 'Japan') that are practically incomplete without a visual component.
There are even a couple of tracks that need video to make them anything more than filler, like 'Rocky' and 'Attracted to Us' (probably the worst use of Beck ever. When you have the guy who created Midnite Vultures at your disposal, wring him dry).
I'd like to make clear that this isn't bad, just not as great as the first. We're not talking dropping from an A- to a D or anything, maybe just a B. There are some moments of pure gold like 'Jack Sparrow', which features Michael Bolton doing what all "serious artists" should do and jumping into the world of Lonely Island, feet first, and, the above-mentioned 'Motherlover', both songs that are excellent to begin with and are just improved upon by their ridiculously funny videos.
On its own, Turtleneck & Chain is a good album and only loses its luster when put next to their first.
Luckily, for those who feel like the wait wasn't worth it, you can go to Lonely Island's official web site and watch all their videos, any time you want.Read more ›
However, if you like what you hear/see, I believe you can do no wrong supporting these guys. Catchy songs like "I Just Had Sex", "Jack Sparrow", "Turtleneck and Chain" and "The Creep" are bound to be considered classics from this second outing. While it's yet to be seen if we have another "I'm On A Boat" on our hands, the Lonely Island's fake rap remains very entertaining and worth five light beers.
Anyway, not bad, not great. I give it a middling 3 stars.
I still listen to Incredibad now and then (2 years later) and I expect I'll still be enjoying this a few years in the future. Money well spent.
I'd also like to point out that buying MP3s from amazon is fantastic... if you haven't tried it yet, now is a good time to start. The Cloud Drive is just icing on the cake.
Like Incredibad, the CD release of Turtleneck and Chain also comes with a DVD featuring some of the videos for the songs on the album and for some songs that AREN'T on the album for whatever reason. Here's my response to the contents of both:
1. We're Back!: A silly but entertaining opening to the album. Not the best thing here by any means.
2. Mama: Hilarious, though this is more of a comedy skit than a song. Well, it's a song that cuts in and out with interruptions.
3. I Just Had Sex: Similar to "I'm On A Boat" from Incredibad, but not in any sort of negative, retreading way. It's very funny as its own song. I definitely will be playing this after I finally have sex.
4. Jack Sparrow: This song is the jewel of the album. It is HILARIOUS! However, I have to admit that I saw the video before hearing the album, and that adds so much more to the enjoyment of it, I'm sure. Unfortunately, the fantastic video is not included on the DVD! It's an outrageous, much like the way Incredibad lacked the priceless Natalie's Rap and I'm On A Boat videos. However, I'm sure the song "Jack Sparrow" is hilarious even if you haven't seen the video (but look it up on YouTube anyway, the featured performer, Michael Bolton, is HILARIOUS in it).
5. Attracted To Us: Funny stuff. I'm not sure what the message is here exactly, but it's funny.
6.Read more ›
Most Recent Customer Reviews
I bought this album after watching Julianne Hough lip sync to one song on the album. I was pleasantly surprised. It was hilarious! And it had some very catchy tunes.Published 12 months ago by T. Murin
I would listen to this in a turtle neck sweater and a chain sipping on light beer. Awesome cd.Published 18 months ago by cgravelle03