Your Garage Luxury Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Samsung S8 Launch Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Book House Cleaning billions billions billions  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Shop Now disgotg_gno_17

Showing 1-10 of 1,369 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,497 reviews
on July 10, 2008
Badger hair shaving brushes are not the cheapest items in the world. Not to mention usually you get what you pay for; however I have to say that this brush bucks that trend.

The brush does the job at a price MUCH better than the competitors.

My one minor issue:
-the first brush I bought repeatedly would lose hairs each time I used it. I hoped it would stop at some point but this went on for a month or so. In a strange sort of luck, I managed to leave the brush behind on a business trip and had to purchase a new one. The new brush works like a charm.

In a nutshell, I would not hesitate, if you need a shaving brush and do NOT want to pay an arm and a leg then this is the brush for you.

On a side note, if you are considering this brush you should also consider (if you have not already) switching to a Safety Razor rather than the economy razors you find in the supermarket. My shaving experience and outcome has changed considerably as a result of using this brush as well as the safety razor. My recommendation for a safety razor: Merkur Classic Safety Razor, Straight - #178

As far as shaving soap and blades goes: check out eBay as well as Amazon
99 comments| 203 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 21, 2010
This brush is easily on par with many badger hair brushes costing four times as much.

I BELIEVE I KNOW WHY OTHERS WERE HAVING PROBLEMS WITH THIS BRUSH ...

I read some of the previous reviews regarding excessive bristle loss, cracked handles, and the knot coming out of the handle. ALL of these problems are symptoms of improper care and use! I'm willing to wager that this is the first shaving brush for most purchasers, who are attracted by its inexpensive price. So, here are some care and maintenance rules for shaving brushes:

Although a shaving brush has a flat handle, this is so it can be set down conveniently while shaving. It should NEVER be allowed to dry sitting on its handle. It is absolutely crucial that you rinse the brush after use and then HANG IT WITH THE HANDLE UP (BRISTLES DOWN) in order to dry. Failure to do so will result in an early demise of your brush -- cracked wood handle, rotting bristles, loosening of the knot, etc. You can make a holder out of wire or a coat hanger if you do not want to buy one.

Also, when whipping up lather, your finger tips should be grasping the base of the bristles where they meet the handle, with the flat of the handle against your palm. Whip the lather using only the TIPS of the bristles. You don't want to "squash" the bristles while whipping up the lather.

Finally, when you rinse the brush, hold it bristles up under a gentle stream of water. Then, hold it with the bristles down and wring the bristles by gently squeezing the bristles between your fingers and thumb. Now, holding the brush where the bristles and handle meet between your forefinger and thumb, GENTLY shake the brush two or three times. Vigorous shaking holding only the handle will damage the brush. Now hang the brush with the handle up to dry.

Follow these rules -- which are standard for any brush -- and you should enjoy years of shaves from your Tweezermans brush!

[UPDATE #1: I wrote the above after two months of use. This update, after ONE YEAR of use, convinces me even more that this was one of the best shaving buys ever. It continues to perform perfectly, is well broken in, and is NOT losing bristles! I have recommended this brush to many friends, and all have been very happy with their purchase. Follow the care instructions above, and I believe you will be very happy with this brush!]

[UPDATE #2: 2 years, 8 months later and still going strong! Although I have two other brushes (mostly for travel) this brush is still my "go to" and on average gets used 5 to 6 days a week. I still stand by my review above. This is without a doubt one of the best values for the money.]

[UPDATE #3: 4 years, 4 months, still going strong. Still getting used 5 to 6 times a week. BTW, when I shave, usually at a minimum I do a "two-pass" shave (with grain, against grain). So for every shave, I lather up at least twice. On Sundays and days with important meetings, I do a 3-pass shave (against-, with-, & across-the-grain).]
3636 comments| 972 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 27, 2014
Just a couple bristles were lost during the first shave - no more than hubby's good silver-tip badger brush! No bad smell and it's not coming loose from the handle yet. (It is kept in a stand and it's shaken well before it is put away.) We'll definitely update if problems arise, but so far so good!

This would be the perfect for a DE shaving beginner or for travel. It's cheap enough that you won't cry if you lose it, and you won't wince if your pubescent teen flings it into the toilet.

PS...If you are one of those guys that is still buying over-priced crummy cartridges for those over-priced disposable razors, don't be shy!! Grab one of these, some Proraso shave soap, a Merkur blade, some Feather or Merkur blades (for just pennies each!) and give it a try. (Those disposables have 3-6 blades for a reason - they stink!!) Look up how-to on the web. Tons of great video out there about DE shaving. Your dad and grandfather had the right idea when they went to the barber for a shave - there's nothing like it!! My husband is really glad he went back to DE shaving - his skin is much healthier and my sons are saving oodles of money! All the girls in our house also DE shave (Cremo creme for us) and we love it. I cringe when I think of all the $ we spent on cartridges - and all for crummy shaves! Give it a try - pamper yourself!
on June 25, 2012
I've used this brush twice now. It's amazing how comfortably sharp the tips of the bristles are. I can feel it exfoliating without feeling like it's scratching my face up. Several bristles fell out on the first usage, I guess it was just breaking in. The handle is glossy smooth, which made me have to grip harder when mixing shaving lather and cramped my hand just a bit in the process. But all of this is new to me. The shave itself wasn't perfect either, so I'm clearly leaning and I'm sure I'll get better with both the shaving and lathering.

I mention these sort-of "negative" aspects to give anyone else who's as new to brush/DE shaving an idea of what they may expect on their first usage, and to not worry.

I used this with the Proraso Shaving Soap, Ultra Sensitive Skin 5.2 oz (147 g) and on my first attempt, I swished it around gently enough to cover the top of all the bristles, then I swished the brush around in an empty cup with a dab of water. I created so much foam I was able to do 3 passes and I still had plenty of shaving cream lather left over. I'm not sure if I was able to get so much because of the quality of the brush bristles or because of the Proraso.
on September 11, 2012
I'm losing about 5 hairs exactly with every shave as well! I thought it would slow down after the first couple weeks but continues to lose 3-6 hairs every shave. Yes people, I treat it gently, yes it dries hanging, etc. Doesn't matter. Pain in the ass. I think just as with any other cheap product the intent is great, but quality control often suffers. Quality control is difficult in the first place when you're using the fur from an animal, but multiply that by the probably 100,000 of these Tweezerman made and it's easy to understand why this can happen.

The bright side is the cheap price, essentially the badger experience, minus the longevity. I accidentally added two to my cart, but it'll probably take another year for this thing to "go bald". I just don't like having long hairs in my shave mug, or on my face! Only thing I can say about this brush is to rub it back and forth on your fingers before shaving, when it's dry from hanging, those hairs will fall off that loosened while drying, before they get into your mug.

I rated 3* because I would've rather paid more for one that didn't shed, than have to buy one that does, and then a new one in the future. A good badger brush can last for a decade or more, I don't expect this one to last more than a year with proper treatment and shaving every other day.
on January 14, 2013
Since this is my first brush, my take my review with a grain of salt.

The points that I authoritatively can make are these. 90% of the "animal smell" went away after the first shave. The smell diminished even more after the second shave. The bristle loss, as well, was done by the second shave. I think that it shed only 1 bristle on the third shave.

Opinions: It seems to pick up soap very well, and I can easily manage the water to soap ratio. It is easy to re-lather between passes, which makes wet-shaving much more pleasant. The handle is comfortable, but could be improved upon. The price is amazing.

I have not tried it with a shaving cream yet. I read through many of the 1-star reviews, and have not experienced any problems with the knot, lingering smell, or sustained shedding.
on December 23, 2010
It's a very good badger brush for the price, and I don't think a buyer would be disappointed with it. It lathers well, and seems durable.
However, the pure badger hair used on this brush is a little prickly, which becomes an annoyance after a while. The handle is quite small, so if you enjoy bowl lathering, prepare for things to get a little messy.
As an alternative, I would recommend an Omega boar brush, for less money. My Omega Pro 49- about $15 on Amazon- was softer than the Tweezerman from day one, and is only getting better, as the ends of boar bristles split with use, making the brush softer. Well broken in boar brushes become incredibly soft, and still have lots of backbone for face lathering.White Handled Omega Professional Boar Hair Shaving Brush
Maybe some day I'll get a really nice silvertip badger brush. Until then, the little Tweezerman will still be used occasionally, just not as often as the Omegas.
on March 26, 2014
I bought this brush about three weeks ago. With all the comments I read about these brushes losing hair, I wanted to give it a bit before I reviewed... In short, I have not lost a single hair yet--and I check it every time I use it. The first two or three times I used it, the badger 'aroma' was apparent. Even so, it was not obnoxious, just an animal-ish smell. This was not obnoxious and it did not last long. The brush works very well in whipping up a lather and I am careful to store it upside down to drain and squeeze it gently to wring it out. The price was very low for a badger brush and it has been worth every penny even if it were to explode next week! I don't think it will. It works well, I enjoy using it, it seems durable,it didn't break the bank. Perfect.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 8, 2016
I purchased a stand expressly for the use of this brush and I took care to rinse and press out the moisture after every shave. It doesn't matter how you baby it, this brush sheds horribly. I would say approximately six hairs per shave are shed. This is just a poor quality brush. The Tweezerman is a piece of junk mass made in Korea and then has different manufacturer's labels attached to it. I am very disappointed in this purchase.
on December 31, 2014
After a few weeks and lots of reading to make sure I'm using it correctly, I have to say I'm a bit disappointed in this brush. I soak it in my mug (in hot water) while I shower. After the shower, I lather up to shave and it still loses bristles at a rate that I was hoping would've subsided by now.

That said, it does do a good job working the shave cream into a warm lather.

Next time, I'll try a higher rated (and unfortunately more expensive) brush.