BCA Month Beauty Best Books of the Month Hallo nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch $5 Albums PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment outlanders3premiere outlanders3premierealtText Watch Outlander on Starz with Amazon Channels outlanders3premierealtText Watch Outlander on Starz with Amazon Channels  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 All-New Kindle Oasis South Park Shop Now HTL17_gno

Customer reviews

The Twelve Days of Christmas
Format: Hardcover|Change

on November 8, 2011
I teach elementary music and have found it hard to find 12 Days books with lyrics in the right order. Some books reverse the lords and the drummers or various things. This book gets the order straight (12 drummers drumming, 11 pipers piping, 10 lords a-leaping, 9 ladies dancing, etc.). The only words that gave me a moment's pause were on number 4: "collie birds" instead of "calling birds." I had to search the internet to find out that "collie birds" is an old English term for "blackbirds." I suppose as things get passed in oral traditions this could be one variation of the song, and the sound difference is so slight that if it really bothers you, you could still sing "calling birds." That said, the illustrations are gorgeous: renaissance colors and clothing styles with a modern attention to realistic detail. The detail is in EVERYTHING, so you really have to search (or check the inside of the jacket cover) to find all of the hidden pictures. If you are a fan of Mark Buehner or Tasha Tudor's books or love searching pictures in the "I Spy" series, this is the book for you. I've already found 6 geese a-laying on the partridge page and tons of other things that aren't listed in the answer key. My family is going to cherish this.
on October 21, 2011
"The Twelve Days of Christmas," illustrated by Laurel Long, is an absolute gem to be treasured by your family for years to come. I have been an elementary teacher and have collected children's picture books, especially children's Christmas picture books, and I can truthfully say this is one of the most beautifully illustrated children's Christmas books I have ever seen. The book measures 9 3/8 inches by 11 3/4 inches and has 30 pages. Every page is a full page full color adventure in color and an unimaginable display of details. You can stare at a page for many minutes and get lost in the imaginations of your mind. Both children and adults will see something new each time they stare at the beautiful oil painting illustrations. Each colored page also has illuminated edges. There are two magnificently colored pages for each of the numbered days of Christmas -- one page has the words to the verse from the song discreetly placed so as not to interfere with the integrity of the beautiful illustration and the other page contains just an illustration.. The dust jacket is a real splendor of color illustrating the partridge in a pear tree surrounded by traditional Christmas decorated illumination. The pictorial cover of the book contains the same illustration.

The next to last two pages contain the song, including the words and the music. The very last page contains a brief history of the song and delves into the various interpretations to the origin and the meaning of the song. There is an added surprise for the reader. Because this is a cumulative song, the reader is challenged to find all the previously mentioned gifts in each of the illustrations. Of course as you advance to the larger numbered days of Christmas, there is more to find in each picture. This can be a fun challenge. To help the reader find these objects there is a small tab at the bottom of the front dust jacket flap that reads, "Look on the underside of the jacket for a key to the hidden gifts." If you remove the dust jacket and look on the underside you will will see a small black and white reproduction of each page from the book. On these small page reproductions you will find red numbers corresponding to the various Christmas Day gifts showing you where they are found in each of the pictures in the book.

I originally bought this book to donate to my elementary school library but when I saw it, I just knew I had to have one for myself and several for gifts. I don't know where I have been, but this is my first exposure to the work of Laurel Long. I sure would love to purchase one of her paintings. You owe it to yourself just to see these marvelous illustrations once in your lifetime!
on January 3, 2016
I ordered this book because my 3 yr old Son came home from school singing this song. His Teacher showed me the book they have been reading to the Children & said this was my Son's favorite- I had to buy it. We have read it At Least three times a day! The artwork is so
Intricate and detailed. Each time you look at the pages, you find something new you did not see the last time. At the end of the 12 Days, she has two pages that combine All the 12 characters. That is fun to look for each one. My Son & I are Still debating the "two turtle doves". The book is very beautiful & to me, will be a favorite for many Christmas's to come
on January 17, 2012
I bought this book for my youngest grandchild for Christmas so she would learn that Christmas lasts twelve days- and that Christmas is the first of the twelve days. I was delighted with the wonderful colorful clever pictures. The style is elegant and lush, reminiscent of Italian Renaissance paintings. This book is a beautiful work of art. The words are the original. And I had no idea this used to be a memory game!
I am buying more, one for my other grandchildren and one for myself!
on December 17, 2016
I was hesitant to buy this version of the book since I had a beautiful one from a different illustrator as a child. I thought the one i owned was just so beautiful- but them I read the reviews and purchased this jewel! This is the most beautifully illustrated book I have ever seen. My son is three months old and loves the colors! I wish I had gotten a hardcover copy because it is worth it as a keepsake.
on September 3, 2017
Item as described with prompt delivery
on January 27, 2017
This is the most impressive book I have seen. So lovely that I did not want to give it to my granddaughter. But she loved it so much and was good, even at her her young age of 2 1/2, of finding the hidden figures. The art work is delightful, really enticing.
on December 7, 2013
You will love this book! I wanted a book of The Twelve Days of Christmas to read with my 3 year old and I'm so glad I discovered this edition. This is an instant favorite for my little girl and my whole family. The illustrations are absolutely beautiful and magical. My little girl had fun finding the items for all the days of Christmas hidden in each day's page. Open up the book cover for help finding them. This is an instant classic sure to be handed down for generations to come in our family, I couldn't recommend it more!
on December 2, 2014
Stunning Artwork inside! Laurel Long, the artist did a stupendous job on the artwork. It is beautiful beyond compare. A classic story for anyone, including adults. Children love this, especially the artwork. Buy just to have the artwork around because it is valuable! I have the artist's autograph on this book now! Some of the most beautiful images you have ever seen!!!! Really! Check it out! Great Christmas gift!
on May 3, 2017
I purchased this book for my daughter. I loved the song/story as a child and wanted to find a book that illustrated it beautifully. This book is absolutely gorgeous and my baby girl was fascinated with it.