BCA Month Beauty Ali: A Life Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment Baby Driver Available to Rent Baby Driver Available to Rent Baby Driver Available to Rent  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 All-New Kindle Oasis South Park Shop Now ToyHW17_gno

TOP 1000 REVIEWERon January 22, 2016
"You can't have just one bite" of good fruitcake! Well, at least I can't. The first slice tastes delicious, the second one divine! Oh sure, there are jokesters and doubters when it comes to fruitcake -- you know, all the references to doorstops, weapons, convenient hammer, etc. That's why this book is a game-changer--or a cake-changer! Actually, it's not so much about the taste, texture and a short transport to Heaven for a few minutes; it is about 12 people who are affected, some of them quite dramatically, by receiving THE FRUITCAKE.

I say "the fruitcake" because it is the same fruitcake that is re-gifted in a circle of different family members and business associates. And each landing makes an emotional difference. First, from the creator Arella who bakes the "perfect fruitcake" after something like a hundred years of experience. Then she gives the cake to her daughter Bea, recovering from the loss of her husband in a car accident. Yes, in turn family members, friends, business associates -- all receive and give away this precious nut-and-fruit creation. All that proves what the author says: "That is another good thing about fruitcakes. They last."

I believe this intriguing, gently humorous, filled-with-life-lessons book is going to bless you. I plan to read it every year. Not just that, but while munching on a slice of fruitcake and sipping a cup of of Earl Grey tea.
on December 15, 2015
This is a beautiful, moving and emotional story, one to be kept and re-read year after year.
I picked this book up because I thought the title was humorous. Maybe I should have read the synopsis first? Anyway, there are a few humorous moments in it, but it is not a book of humor. It starts out as an elderly lady named Arella makes a fruitcake. Arella has no family, and had been moved to senior housing from an apartment that had been her home for 30 years. She has made one friend in her current home - a neighbor named Bea who also loves fruitcake. So Arella puts her heart and soul into making this fruitcake for her friend, using money for the ingredients that she should be using for her groceries. Arella doesn't know it but Bea has been very sick, and her doctors have told her it doesn't look good. Arella gives Bea the fruitcake. Bea will soon be seeing her daughter, Cindy, who she only sees once a year. Since she's been ill, she hasn't gotten out shopping. Ahh! But she has the fruitcake she can give her....
And so it begins, as the fruitcake gets passed from one set of hands to another, to another...
At this point I was beginning to think the book was rather sad, with these lovely older ladies who were alone, and sick, and I didn't feel very Christmas-y about it. I didn't want to get depressed. But I read on about the saga of the fruitcake which kept finding itself in a new home. The more I read, the more I realized that these receivers of the fruitcake were simple, beautiful souls, who didn't have much materially, but had joy and hope in their hearts. The fruitcake became a blessing to each of them in some way.
I've already given away enough of the story, but suffice to say that as the twelve days wore on, my heart grew bigger with the gift of love. By the end of the book, the love was pouring out of me in the form of tears. It truly touched my soul.
I strongly recommend this book. Buy a copy of it for all your friends who like fruitcake, and maybe even those who don't. This book is a keeper for me. It will stay in my library and be re-read every Christmas, and maybe even other times as well.
on December 12, 2012
Sorry I could only give it 5 stars. I read it, or should I say absorbed it, last night, and went to bed smiling! I can't remember when any book has made me feel that good. It's a short book, not in depth studies of each person, but really packs a punch, and makes you re-evaluate your priorities in life.
I believe the fruitcake is blessed. Every hand it touches, blesses the receiver and the giver, and makes them realize something about themselves they had forgotten, or dismissed. You can see the re-commitment in some, love in others, re-evaluation and appreciation, in still others. I can't say enough for this book. I can say this, I believe I will re-read this every Christmas season. Thanks to the author for sharing this love with us! And it really would make an excellent Hallmark Christmas special.
on December 17, 2016
I loved how the author moved between the characters in this book. It is another wonderful reminder of how each of us are connected in this great big world!
I would recommend this book to anyone willing to sit for a short bit to read it. If you're a parent who reads to your child(ren) ---this is a great chapter book to read to them. This book is a quick read and really tender hearted.
I chose this rating because of how smoothly the book transitioned from each character subject. I found myself thinking about the different characters and how the fruit cake effected their life several times throughout the day. This book made me smile externally and internally!
Now, I think, I shall go have a slice of fruitcake myself! LOL
TOP 500 REVIEWERon December 14, 2015
This will mark the end of my being a regular reviewer, but just wanting to pass on the last of my Christmas reads for others to enjoy this holiday season with a short, sweet review. Twelve Days of Fruitcake had both engaging characters and superlative dialogue and while ending wasn't necessarily a surprise, story itself was wonderful and ears top marks from me. Five stars and I heartily recommend!
on March 5, 2016
I enjoyed this story
The characters are lovely,the moral great and easy to understand .
I recommend it as a quick read.
Once in awhile I find it fun to read a good short story. Enjoy..
Geniemackbrown
Enthusiast: Cookingon December 7, 2015
The gift that keeps giving, but I so much want a piece of this cake. It is truly magical. The places it goes, the love that is found . . . Magical.
on December 18, 2015
This is a perfect book for the Christmas season. It follows the journey of a homemade fruitcake and the lives it touches. It brings out various stories of the human spirit that transfers from one person to another. It can be read in a short time and I enjoyed it immensely.
on August 28, 2016
You will rediscover what the holiday season really means reading this story, and it will enrich your spirit. Thanks to the author for the inspiring message.
on December 10, 2015
A wonderful story about a fruitcake given as a gift and the blessing the gift brings. A quick Christmas Story. I highly recommend to anyone who likes Christmas and to those that are not to sure I believe it will bring a smile to you. A BLESSED Christmas to all.