- File Size: 115 KB
- Print Length: 33 pages
- Publication Date: March 5, 2012
- Sold by: Amazon Digital Services LLC
- Language: English
- ASIN: B007HQG6J4
- Text-to-Speech: Enabled
- Word Wise: Enabled
- Lending: Enabled
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #1,410,968 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)
Twelve for the Record Kindle Edition
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Top Customer Reviews
I keep going back to that first poem - reading, rereading, re-rereading - days after I read through this collection the first time. Other favourites are "The Best Words," in which the poet contends the best words are those which "sound obscene but aren't" ("Cockatiel, cockatoo--words with wings. / The hoarfrost of winter, lure of a crappie, / handful of nuts, kumquat, lavender crystals of kunzite, / the titillation of shiftless and schist, the bark and bite / of shittimwood, music of sextillion and cockleshells."), and "The Missing Wife," a response to a bumper sticker the poet saw which read "Wife and dog missing. Reward for the dog." ("Time passed. They came and went as they pleased, / chased sticks when they felt like chasing sticks, / dug holes in what they came to regard / as their own backyard. They unlearned / how to roll over and play dead.")
Lockward selected poems from each of her three books, Eve's Red Dress, What Feeds Us and ...Read more ›
The poet uses wit and intelligence to communicate. With careful word selections, she paints beautiful, touching and artistic images. She artfully draws you in.
Lockward wraps up the collection with a short section called, "The History of the Poems." This section explained a little of her inspiration for the poems, and was very enjoyable. After I read this section, I went back and re-read a couple of the poems. Knowing the background made them even more enjoyable.
Note: Be sure to view the pages as a whole so that you can see the patterns she's designed with her words in a couple of her poems.
Set up an Amazon Giveaway
Look for Similar Items by Category
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Poetry > Regional & Cultural > United States
- Books > Literature & Fiction > United States > Anthologies
- Kindle Store > Kindle Short Reads > One hour (33-43 pages) > Literature & Fiction
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Poetry > American
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > United States > Anthologies