Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held GNO Shop Now ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 71 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 77 reviews
on July 22, 2015
These were okay, if a bit clunky. I used mine to support a Mac Mini on the back of a Cinema Display, which worked quite well, but wasn't a very polished look. I think these are good if you have no other option, but if you can hide or relocate whatever you're thinking of setting down here, you're probably better off doing that.
on July 18, 2014
Elegantly simple and understated to match the aesthetic of Apple. It holds up my WD mybook HD perfectly in the back. I actually wish the back got more exposure so I can show off this shelf. Doesn't wiggle, and seems supportive. I don't know about heavy items.

Now for the gripes... The instructions were wrong. My iMac should've used the #4 clips, however I found them way too loose and ultimately compensated by installing the #1. Not a big deal. Getting the wrong clips out of the metal brackets was hard. Needed to use a screwdriver. to pry them out. Excessive amount of packaging for this thing but I suppose you're really buying into the niche of Mac so deal with it. Lastly, $30 is somewhat obscene for an adjustable shelf that depends on the computer/monitor you're using to be/stay compatible! Why so expensive???

I ponied up the money just so I could discreetly hide my time machine HD. Did I NEED it. Hell no, but does look-oh-so-mac like. Shut up and fork over your $$$ while gulping down that Kool Aid.
on February 19, 2012
This is a nice, sturdy accessory for the iMac and compliments it well. I have an Iomega MiniMax external hard drive sitting on it, with no problems. With the firewire port right there in the back of the iMac, cable management is a breeze and everything is "hidden" and out of the way. That being said, I wish they offered a shelf that was just a little deeper to accommodate the slightly larger hard drive.

The box contains several plastic spacers for different iMac models and Cinema displays. Open the box carefully, trying to keep the inserts in the foam holder.... if they do get mixed up don't panic - the insert side and number is stamped on the inside of each clip. The instructions tell you to mount the shelf in the desired position and then tighten the screws. Because I have the shelf mounted low, I found it easier to adjust and tighten the set-screws where I wanted them and then (starting at the top) slid the shelf into place over the stand. This is possible because the stand is skinnier at the top. I read a review where the spacers marred the finish on the stand, so I was very careful, and happy to say I did not have that problem with mine.

I plan to buy a second shelf and mount it above this one - there is plenty of room.
on July 19, 2010
Love this little shelf. Simple to use and install and helps get rid of any eye-sores you may have on your desk. I installed this on my 27" iMac and stuck my wireless router on it. Now it's out of site (and out of mind), and I freed up a little desk space. I think I'll pick up another shelf soon because there's enough space for one more underneathe it.

Only suggestions for buyers: When you open the box that contains the brackets, do so carefully otherwise they may wind up becoming disorganized. And if they do, just test the size of each plastic bracket on whatever you're mounting it on first to make sure it fits. Once you put a plastic piece inside its metal home, it's very hard to get out.

Other than that, this is must-buy if you have various things around your desk that you'd rather keep tucked away. Routers, external HDDs, etc. It's well-made and works great.
on March 8, 2010
I was reluctant to spend this much on what is, when all said and done, a bracket. However, when I opened the pack I was pleasantly surprised. For a start, it's actually quite large and would, as claimed somewhere or other, easily take a Mac mini. It's also very solid and well-made - not even a suggestion of flimsiness. I use it to hold (conceal) my hard drive and this it does elegantly and efficiently. It doesn't look like there's a competitor out there and this is obviously aimed at the niche (5%) Mac-user market, so I guess one would expect to pay a premium, but I don't think it's even close to being a rip-off. In fact, I'm going to get a second one, for my daughter's computer.
on June 7, 2011
I own several items from Twelve South and am always pleased with the quality and innovation. This Backpack adds a "shelf" to the back of your iMac so you can keep items neatly hidden behind the display. I use it to hold an external Firewire hard drive but you can put lots of different things there.

The packaging from Twelve South is always as fun to see as the devices themselves. Like Apple, they seem to put a lot of thought into fitting the items into a package. Also, setup was very easy for this Backpack and several adapters are included so you can use it with other machines and configurations.

While I do think the prices for items like this are little on the high side, I would still recommend the Twelve South items.
on June 21, 2010
I tend to slide my iMac around on my desk, so I needed something to save my LaCie backup drive getting pushed off the edge. The sillicone sheet that keeps the LaCie from slipping off the shelf as I'm moving things around is a thoughtful addition.

Even though I rarely see the back of my machine, the shelf is stylish, matching the look of the computer. Best of all, it's cheap (probably because it's not an Apple branded product), and then there's the free shipping. I'm buying another to go above the LaCie for my powered USB hub.

Be aware that it's not necessary to get the brackets tight. I spent a lot of time adjusting them until I realized that it's the width of the bracket that keeps the thing from sliding down, not the tighness of the plastic deals that grip the computer's support.
on January 16, 2012
I was skeptical at first that $30 (the price I paid for this item) was justifiable for what is essentially a piece of vented aluminum with some brackets, this is definitely one of those instances where the design is worth the premium. The BackPack shelf is neatly packaged, and its instructions are extremely clear and easy to follow. Once installed, the BackPack's utility is immediately apparent.

I use mine to store my Wacom tablet - an item that I'd never found a suitable place for until now. I don't need it all the time, but I'd also prefer not to have to unplug it while still being able to store it near/in my desk. The BackPack was the perfect solution for me, the tablet fits neatly on the shelf and is completely hidden behind the face of my 27" iMac. It's also easy to imagine using the shelf to store a MacBook Air hooked up to a Cinema Display. What's more, there's easily room for two BackPacks on my machine, so I'm considering getting a second to keep a couple lightweight drives out of sight.
on August 20, 2013
I bought 2 of these to hook it up to my iMac 21.5 inch (late 2012 model) to keep 2 portable hard disks for my Time machine & CCC back up. One thing to keep in mind is that it will only fit on the back of the iMac stand and not in the front ... I did not know that and bought 2 of them ... but both of them fit on the back of the iMac stand without any problem. However 12 South does make another model which fits both back and front of the iMac stand (and it only costs a few dollars more). All in all I like the product and works exactly as advertised.
on January 22, 2011
Twelve South has created a great product to free up space on your desk from external hard drives. The backpack is not much to look at, but it can support a 1TB Western Digital HD on the back.

No instructions appeared to be included in the packaging so I had to take a few seconds to figure out how it all goes together. There are a few sets of plastic tab/clamps that fit into the back of the rack to mount to the monitor stand of the iMac. The clamps are numbered denoting some difference in size; however, I don't know what it is. Each one seems to fit after tightening the bolts down.

I wish the stand was built a little sturdier on thicker aluminum because the weight of the 1TB drive makes the backpack bend. I always fear that the drive could tip over and fall down behind the desk after a small bump, especially while it's reading or writing. Living in earthquake country, CA doesn't help with my fear of tipping over.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.
See 1 answered question