Amazon Business Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Luxury Beauty March Birthstone Book House Cleaning _fab _fab _fab  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now STEM

Showing 1-10 of 447 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 499 reviews
on January 1, 2015
There is a lot of controversy over this book in AA as it is not conference approved. This book came about from the notes of a member of the Oxford group which was basically a prayer group that Dr. bob attended with Henrietta Siberling for 2 years before he got sober. Bob and Ann Smith attended this group for 2 years never admitting his alcoholism even though that and his financial troubles were well known to the group. One day he admitted to the group he could not control his drinking and they prayed over him, 2 weeks later Bill Wilson rolled into town.

There is a lot of wisdom in this book and as AA 12 steps was built on the 4 steps of the Oxford group, I feel it cannot hurt to read this. The Oxford 4 steps were 1. Abandon yourself to God. 2. Make a written moral inventory. 3. Make restitution for harms done. And 4. Work with others. Sound familiar, this is all documented by Gail who started the archives of AA and her lectures on history of AA can be found on AA Podcasts.

Another book I highly recommend is the little red book written 10 years after the big book and really gets into the 12 steps in more detail than the 12 and 12.

Good luck and I wish you all the best as you trudge the road of sobriety.
on June 7, 2014
Richmond Walker wrote one amazing book back in the early 1950s and I have to say that next to the big book and the 12 and 12, this book has been instrumental in my 22 years of sobriety. This book has been by my side the whole time. I cannot recommend it enough. I think it blows the doors off of Daily Reflections which I think was done in a very half measures way. This book is way beyond that one.
on July 24, 2012
I got sober before the "Daily Reflections" was published so I grew up with the 24 Hour Book. This book seems to be less "rah-rah " than the other and speaks in plain terms. The prayer for the day,meditation for the day, AA thought for the day.... Who cares who wrote it?
on November 22, 2013
This is the original meditation book for AA, written back in the early 50's. My dad read it every day in the mid 60's and I've read it daily since 1987. You won't go wrong keeping up this practice of prayer and meditation.
on March 3, 2017
If you are wanting recovery from alcoholism, this is a great way to start or end your day! Excellent!
on March 17, 2017
Sent as a gift, said she loved it!
on March 12, 2017
An important part of my Sobriety. A daily dose of wisdom.
on March 9, 2017
Keeps you balanced
on May 15, 2016
Dear sir,

The books came.

They were wonderful.
They were just like I had gotten before.
The books were in very good condition.
They were in really good condition and the price was lower or less expensive than I bought before .
I was really glad having to do with this.

Thank you.

Sincerely,
Muriel Muschamp
on January 19, 2010
Very useful book, but I wish it was half the size. One day on one page.