Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Month Casual Friday Style nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Prime exclusive: $24.99 for a limited time Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon marchmadness marchmadness marchmadness  Echo Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now TG18PP_gno

Twilight (The Twilight Saga, Book 1)
Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on October 21, 2016
The Kindle set of books was fine, until Breaking Dawn. The whole part of the birth and Jacobs imprinting were missing from the book. Instead they repeated the Bella chapter twice. So it went directly into the chapter of the burning. I own the hard cover books and this is not an issue in them. Needless to say, I was unhappy with this purchase.
I love having the full matching box set to add to my library. A part of me wishes I would have stopped by half price books to pick up the novels but it was great having it delivered and matching for 30 some odd dollars. One star off because the back page (the red side) chips away easily. I have only held them and bookmarked them and the back looks worn. Otherwise, I'm happy with my purchase.
review imagereview image
on January 25, 2018
Fantastic story, this will go down as one of the classics of love stories. And like the best love stories, it delves into the mythological and tells a larger-than-life story that is grounded in the simple to describe but impossible to understand love story between two innocent individuals. There has been a lot said about this book and this series, some good and some bad, but I for one will always consider this book as great.
on September 27, 2017
This novella tells the vampire world from the perspective of a newborn created by Victoria as part of an army to take down the Cullen's, and, in particular, Bella Swan. Despite her violent vampire life and meagre, sad "human" life beforehand, Bree is much more than she seems at first. Her world stands in stark contrast to the morally-guided one of the Cullen family. I got the sense that she could have been so much more, had either of her lives offered her more room for her true sensibilities to come through. Even though her ending was inevitable, her potential is inspiring to read.
on June 5, 2013
As I write this this Amazon is asking $15.02 for part 1 and $14.72 for part 2 ($29.74 combined) so $16.44 for the combined edition is a much better deal for the same number of pages. I guess we're supposed to go and buy the parts separately then go back and buy the combined edition- don't think I'll ever do that.
At 464 pages the graphic novel version of Twilight is, I think, 34 pages shorter than Stephenie Meyer's original novel- taking out the descriptive text must account for most of that. The artwork by Young Kim is like some used in the Twilight Illustrated companion, some think it looks Asian, I think it suggests "Barbie doll" to me. It isn't bad at any rate and appears to follow Meyer's description better than the movie did. The text is easy enough to follow along with in my limited examination, should be a fun way to get the story.

I don't have the two part version so I can't really judge it but in this edition there's very little use of color except for the prom segment, the last of that has some color. The original two part cover is inside the cover of this edition trimmed down slightly but nothing much missing, the worst thing about that being if you get one of those plastic library book covers to protect this book- you'll cover them up!

This book is a good adaptation, worth a look if you "must" have everything Twilight or know someone who won't read the 498 page all text version.
on July 2, 2013
I did not start reading the Twilight series until after the first movie had come out. At the time, I really enjoyed the books (hated the movies, but loved the books). However, now as I reread parts of the book when I am bored, I wonder why I liked it so much. The story is entertaining, but not as well written as other books that I have read (the quality of writing is not as good as say "Ranger's Apprentice" or "Mara Daughter of the Nile"). This is very much a romance story; the action takes second stage, and it is for this reason that I think it would be appropriate for children 15+. Personally, I believe that children under 15+ do not need to be exposed to this type of romance. While there is nothing immoral or inappropriate about their relationship in the books, I just believe that there is no need to expose preteens to this type of relationship. (Maybe I am just lucky in that my siblings are not interested in exploring books and movies with this type of serious romantic obsession, but I do believe that at the pre-teen age, children do not need to be thinking or exploring the idea of a "serious" romantic interest). Furthermore, I do not like how Bella (the main character) is deceptive and lies at times. There is one time in the book where Bella was cornered by three males in a dark alley. While Edward (the male character) saves her life, she does not tell her father about what happened when she gets home. Personally, I believe this does not set a good example for children/teens. When something of that seriousness occurs, it is very important to let an adult figure head known and not try and solve it/deal with it on your own. So, while this book is okay for older teens and is entertaining for adults, I do not believe it would be appropriate for children under 15 due to the fact that it exposes pre-teens to "serious" relationships, lying, and deception.
on December 28, 2015
I purchased this as a gift this Christmas. This gift set was well made and is very different (in a great way) than other twilight sets out there. It is unique and stands out quite a bit. The white book covers are gorgeous and the best way to read this series is by purchasing this collection. While not a huge twilight fan myself I can very well appreciate a well made gift set and that's what this is. If you know someone who is a huge twilight fan or if you're one yourself and haven't read the books I suggest picking this set up. Even if you have read the books, but wish to own a nice set in your library then I definitely suggest taking a look at this one. There is nothing that comes close in my opinion and whoever owns this will be very happy.
on May 13, 2013
That's all the world needs is another review of "Twilight". Still, I felt compelled to put my three cents in. Getting into the literary world I had to read what is called a pop cultural phenomena. I was surprised at so many negative reviews in print and word mouth. My take: It ain't that bad...and it ain't that good. I'm not big into vampire lore, so I'm no expert, but I thought the fresh take on vamps was good. I'm not gonna worry about spoilers because, this review is probably too little too late, but I like the take on how sunlight affects the vampires, how they have special and different powers and how there are some in this story that are humane...even if they aren't human. I love how the wolves are set up for next book.

I love the overall premise that two people are hopelessly attracted to each other in an almost impossible situation: Edward is so intoxicated with the scent of Bella's blood it is all he can do to not drink her blood/kill her.

But it is soooo....mushy, over-the-top...unrealistically so. But maybe that's what makes a story so compelling and unique. It's just too much for my taste. I think it is one of those rare times when the movie outperforms the novel because it reels-in some of the mushiness and give more of the meat and potatoes of "the vampire in love story" with all of the neat things that vampires can do highlighted.

I do think the book could've have been shorter and better without comprising it's essence by just cutting out some of the mushiness...maybe using words like "incredulous" half as much.

Just a thought.

John Darryl Winston
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on November 27, 2011
I have read all 4 books and seen all four movies, but I did not read or watch them in order. Its really a good thing I did not read this book first. The story is very original and the plot is interesting but the characters, especially the main character, Bella, are so much better in the movie. In the book, Bella is sort of angry and depressed all the time. It made it hard for me to believe all these boys would be so attracted to her. In the movie, her character is more like an old soul, keeps to herself, interested in books and music, quiet, deep thinking. The rewrites of book one really saved the story and kept me interested in seeing more. The third and fourth books and movies are more alike. Its almost like the author recognized how defensive she made the main character and began to soften her a bit. I love these stories. They are so different from what you might expect. Vampires and werewolves really are the backdrop to the real stories, which are about overcoming the worst part of yourself, exercising self-control for the sake of others, placing love of others before yourself. There is no sex or cussing and the main character is a virgin. Her beloved has no desire to take that from her. His love is too great, too dangerous, and he won't sacrifice her for his own sake. This is different that any story we see today, which is rife with adultery, dishonesty, and classless behavior on the part of both sexes. Never has someone been courted so tenderly, so completely, as Bella is by Edward. Its the perfect romance, the kind that makes you hold your breath, and is much more sexy than the typical drama/romance being made today. I wish there were more in the series, as I was sad to come to the end.
My wife and I like the Twilight series of movies and books. We listened to all of them on audio CD and they just got better and better. I won't go into the storyline as there are already thousands of reviews that have touched that subject and have done a good job of describing the story. While I liked all the stories this first book was not my cup of tea and my wife liked it more than I did. I liked the direction of the storyline but for me the first book was too much teen love and describing the perfect Edward. I thought the movie was better than the book in that it toned down that part of the story and moved onto other aspects of the relationship.

That being said it is amazing how Stephenie Meyer touched the hearts and minds of so many people, old and young. My wife and I have read or listened to all of the books and have seen all of the movies. We have even watched and listened to some more than once. Stephenie captures your imagination and brings you into the storyline as it progresses and as characters develop.

The first book needed more editing and the character, Bella, got on my nerves in the first story because she is just too gushy over Edwards looks. If you just look at that part of the story as teen love then you can get over it. I am not an adult, I am an old person and that type of gushy love is long into my past. I look for a story that interests me and so does my wife. Based on the story we kept on listening and reading.

It sets the tone for the saga and it truly becomes one of the impact stories written in the last 10 years. We got hooked and if she wrote another one we would buy it and read it too.