Salon Beauty Summer Reading Women's Block Sandals nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One Electronics Gift Guide Introducing Fire TV Cube Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon theaffairS4 theaffairS4 theaffairS4  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now SWMTVT18_gno

on September 17, 2014
I really, really enjoyed this story. Got me hooked and keep me reading on. At times I couldn’t wait to get back to the story. I enjoyed the twists and turns and characters. The only reason this is not a five star is due to the end of the book. Very unhappy with the ending! I should be used to is after reading so many Stephen King books since his never pan out the way I want them to either. No matter what this was a great story with elements of action, horror, paranormal and mystery.
To those who rated it a one star and claimed it was written as if it was a teenager writing it and accusing him of having his family and friends give him five stars. Get over yourselves. It was very well written and didn’t read as if written by a teen. I don’t know this author at all, in fact this is the first novel I have read by him and have downloaded a couple more now so there goes your theories!
To those who stated they couldn’t finish it..to bad for you because you missed out on a good story. I read both good and bad reviews before I purchase a book but many times I see the one stars and their reviews sound more like jealousy and that is when I will purchase the book.
Would recommend.
on March 27, 2012
Overall, I loved Twisted Vengeance by Jeff Bennington. I struggled through a few different parts, but just as I thought I had the story pinned or lost interest in what was happening, the story would do a total 180 - but not in a way that would throw the reader out of the story - just a way that had you on the edge of your seat again.

I did have to ponder my review for a few days before posting though. There were tons of things I loved about the book, but the ending left a bit of a sour taste in my mouth. I just didn't like it. But my dislike doesn't necessarily mean that someone else wouldn't love it. It just wasn't my cup of tea, so to speak. I would have loved to have ended the book just a little before the last chapter. I liked that ending. ' But, after much contemplation, I realized that it was more of a personal preference and decided not to let it impact my review rating.

The only other issue I had was the level of description in the very beginning of the book. It was like it was overly descriptive. As the book progressed, however, I felt that the descriptive nature of the author was part what kept the pages turning. The other elements that kept me reading? Suspense, unpredictability and the author's ability to write about a very delicate subject in a way that stayed rather true to the complexities that surround it. (I know that doesn't make a lot of sense but I want to avoid giving any spoilers.)

In the end, I felt that the book merited five stars. I would have rated it a little lower if I hadn't taken time to think about why I didn't like the ending. So glad I did because this book definitely deserved five stars. I feel Jeff is a very talented author. I really like his writing and his style. Can't wait to read more!
on June 15, 2012
Coming off of another run of stories which left me feeling rather bummed at wasting my time, I'm so thrilled that I had found this story, and I feel sorry for those I recommended it to whom have only iPads and cannot download it (I did tell them to get Kindles instead hehe). I will not summarize the story, as so many others have done this in their reviews, instead, I'll have right at my thoughts...

My first impression was that some of the conversation between Rick and his cop buddies was a bit melodramatic and seemed to come right off the worst television cop acting, but after the Rick witnesses the child size bloodied footprints at Frank's murder scene, early on in the story, everything changed, Rick became a character who was not only real, but quickly became evolved into a whole person I greatly enjoyed reading about. I found myself soon making parallels between Jeff Bennington's writing and early Dean Koontz, of whom I am a huge fan. I truly enjoyed the revelations in the story, especially those involving Rick's promises to his brother, and those of his brother. The ending was not only riveting, but solid. I loved Mr. Bennington's work and I will be looking to read his other titles.
on September 11, 2015
I thoroughly enjoyed this book and spent a great deal of my time reading it, wishing that I could cover my eyes like I do when I'm watching a horror. The characters were well thought out and described and it had some good twists as well. If I had one criticism, it would be that the characters spent a lot of time "thinking" and some of that seemed a little out of place in a genuinely scary boo. Absolutely loved it though and I am about to add more of the author's work to my wishlist.
on November 17, 2015
I began this novel before an overseas move and it became temporarily shelved. However, the deeply creative and luring premise of the book stayed in my mind and brought me back. Isn't that what good books do? I was able to come back and barely miss a beat. And I'm glad that I finished this book.

The way the author skillfully meshes the characters' pasts with the serpentine road of the boy's mysterious journey and paranormal flights keeps the reader well engaged and hungry for more. But what sets this book apart is the creative enigma and evil tapestry of the boy and his past. In fact, the plot of the strange youngster is, I feel, the heart of this novel ... so much so that I wished the author had developed it even further.

I like the way the author brought in the police investigations and other very human elements; they gave an otherwise disturbingly supernatural novel a certain plausible gravity. The twists toward the end of the novel will leave everyone not just entertained, but spooked before bedtime.

Very well done and certainly worth the read.

Yours in literature,
JGC.
on September 10, 2012
This is the second book I have read by this author and it was indeed a supernatural thriller! The picture on the cover gave me the chills before I even began reading. Rick Burns, the detective trying to solve unusual murders over the last few years struggles with his own grief over losing his son and brother, and falling in love with his brother's widow. Rick looks for the connections among the murder victims and follows the ghostly child who wants to help him solve the crimes. Rick is also struggling with his what he believes is his own inadequacy, comparing himself to his deceased brother whom he is convinced was always a better detective than he could be. He examines the past of the young victim and his own past, learning much about himself and those he loved.
2 people found this helpful
on October 10, 2013
This was my first book by Mr. Bennington and as long as the rest of his supernatural novels are of the same caliber it won't be my last. Over all the book is very well written, easy to read and follow and, editorially there were few errors in spelling, grammar and tense. Not sure if these things tend to bother others like they do me but if there are too many errors it really can ruin a good book. Thankfully that's not the case here. No where near. I actually don't think that I saw any at all. Of course that could also mean that the story was so engrossing that I wasn't able to focus on anything else...

Which really was the case. The basic story is of a homicide detective that is investigating some rather bizarre murders, all of which are abusive people, when this strange boy appears then just as quickly disappears. And whenever the boy shows up he leads the detective to another murder scene. At first no one else sees the child, and at one point Rick, the detective, questions whether he is real or not. Eventually others observe the boy and soon the story becomes not only a who donnuit but also a what is it. By the end of the novel all things are explained and the reader is left with a sense that things are as they are supposed to be, though not necessarily as they would like. There are a couple of twists which gives the story more depth than originally expected as well as a raw humanity about it that really takes hold of the reader and never quite lets go.

The characters are very well written. Rick undergoes a personal growth journey throughout the entire book. He's constantly comparing himself to his father and his dead older brother and ends up feeling less than. As he moves through the events of the book his strength of character never waivers but his opinion and view of himself change and grow based on both the external and internal conflicts that he deals with. Not the least of which is the boy, Benji.

Benji was brilliant! A true to form tragic character that the reader is instantly drawn to, instantly feels for but knows that something just isn't right. As you learn more about him you feel more drawn to him, even in his darker moments, and there are quite a few. By the end of the novel one is forced to wonder just how many Benji's there might be in the world and, quite honestly, there was a part of me that wanted to find and take care of them. Endearing in his own unique way, Benji is not a character that will soon be forgotten.
on November 6, 2012
If you like ghost stories and mysteries then this book is up your alley. It had me interested from the beginning, and kept me interested throughout. There were some weak spots but nothing to rate a 2 star.

If you like English or Gothic ghost stories you WILL like this story. It's just set in modern times with a guy as the main character - not a woman. I guess that some of the men who rated this story can't deal with a guy having difficulties like this character has.

I thought it was an entertaining read.
2 people found this helpful
on December 7, 2012
I am not really good at reviews, but this book is well written. I was captivated immediately by the characters and the writer's descriptions were so visual that I was actually in the book with them. I love to "get lost" in my books and this one kept my interest on every page. I never had to fast read to get past a dull point, it kept my attention and I couldn't wait to get back to the book every time I had to put it down. If you like supernatural thrillers with great endings, you will LOVE this book. Good writing, Jeff Bennington!
3 people found this helpful
on May 1, 2014
At first I was going to stop reading the book because it did not draw me in, then I remembered this was the first Supernatural Thriller I ever read. As the plot thickened, I really got into it and could not stop reading. At the ending, I could not quite grasp what was happening? The three survived and then only Rick was left? Maybe this was part of the Supernatural I could not get? I went back to read the conclusion three times, and could not make the connection. Other than that, a great novel and will read more of Bennington's novels.