Spring Deals Automotive HPC Amazon First Reads New-season heels nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18SW_gno

on January 9, 2017
This is a very good product. Plastic container is sturdy and very visible. Comes with extra strips for striking your matches and a bit of cotton to help keep the moisture level in check could also probably be used as tinder. My only real complaint is that a couple match stick's protective coating stuck to the cotton ruining the wax seal. Not a big deal at all in my case but I worry some containers may have more matches that have been unsealed. I would definitely recommend closely inspecting the matches if you are planning on keeping these for emergency purposes. That aside, this is an excellent product and I will be purchasing more in the near future.

(I've included an image of the two damaged matches with a good match for reference.) You could probably reseal the top with some candle wax for an easy waterproof fix.
review imagereview image
on March 29, 2012
A great fire back up. I purchased this wanting the nice match case it came with. After receiving it, kinda changed my mind. The case is very nice quality but it's too bulky, so I tossed it into a pack. If your purchase is for a large place like car, home, backpack, you'll love it it also has 2 more sealed strikers inside case. If it's for a survival kit or emergency kit, just get the matches and use small 2" x 3" zip bags, works great saves space and keeps them dry. Plus you'll save a couple of bucks for the price of the case!
review imagereview imagereview image
22 comments| 91 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on September 3, 2015
I just wanted to note a mistake I made, in case others do the same...other zombified, tired, survival gear hunters :o)

I've done so much researching for my kits that I've seen this product from many sellers on many sites. Some had this product with a mirror on the inside of the cap. I saw it so much that when I ordered it here, I expected the mirror. Apparently not all sellers have the mirror version. Now that I have the product it in front of me though I can see just how tiny that mirror would've been, I am not missing it.

My mistake aside, this was worth every penny. The container alone was worth what I paid. If you are making really small kits, check the measurements. It may be a little bulky. You could easily take some of the matches out, grab the extra strikers and put them in a small resealable bag.Or take some out and use the space inside the tube to store other things. You could reuse the container for something else entirely. I certainly wouldn't throw it away. It has a thick rubber seal and when I ran it under a pressured water from the faucet and pushed it down into a plugged sink it didn't fail. The matches are big and well coated. Much better than those which only have the orange material. There was no crumbling or broken pieces. Inside of the cap you get some cotton and the extra strikers are in a little bag inside the tube.

I'm going to order a backup...in another color.
VINE VOICEon January 20, 2012
As a longtime camper and backpacker, I've probably owned a dozen match safes. Most of them have rusted, leaked, or broken. In comparison, I have no doubt that the UCO match case would last the rest of my life if I lived to be 200. The case is made of substantial plastic and fitted with an O-ring. Tightened down appropriately, it just does not leak. I purchased this case in the fall of 2011 for a two-week hiking/camping trip in New Hampshire and Vermont. In the whole two weeks, I believe we saw the sun once, for about half an hour. We camped in rain, sleet, snow, and endless slippery mud. The match case came through it all with nary a scratch or a drop of moisture on the inside.

My only concern, when I received the case, was the striker surface on the outside. I can tell you that it stayed damp or wet for days and was covered with mud a time or two yet never failed to ignite the matches without the slightest difficulty. My only suggestion to the company is that a lanyard hole be molded into the case.

One word of advice: Do not rely on ordinary wooden matches or so-called "kitchen matches." You will be smart to buy waterproof matches from UCO or another reputable vendor. The UCO matches, in particular, cannot be blown out and, even if plunged underwater, will continue to burn.

On a miserable, cold, wet, windy day, a good match safe filled with quality waterproof matches is a godsend. This one will do the job. I highly recommend it.
33 comments| 116 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on April 26, 2017
Finished up a 5 day trip, 3 of which were in pouring rain, day and night. Lighting a fire was tough, even with the matchea, due to soaked tinder. Something to keep in mind is that while they're great, they still won't save wet tinder. I ended up needing to feather stick AND Vaseline soaking a cotton ball to finally get a good flame. Matches didn't let me down, though the striking surface wears out very quickly. After 10 lights, I had to replace it, though I wonder if the wet contributed to its quick wear.

Still, I recommend these. Without them, my fire wouldn't have gotten going.
on October 30, 2013
I purchased two of the UCO Stormproof Match Case Kits, so that both my wife and I could carry one in our packs on our backpacking trips. Before deploying any new gear to the field, it is important to test it out to make sure it meets the standards of use that you expect of it. Accordingly, I tested several matches, timing their burning time as well as testing their ability to light when wet and stay lit when submerged. I also tested the case by submerging it in water. Here are my results:

When lit, the matches have a rather unpleasant smell that lingers for a while after the match has been extinguished, so I wouldn't recommend lighting them indoors if the smell is going to bother your wife (ask me how I know). Obviously, smell is not a consideration when using these matches in the field. The included striker paper is completely inadequate for lighting the included matches or any others for that matter. The match would only spark, but not light, even after 10 tries. The second match would not light on the striker either. However, when I struck the two matches on the striker of a standard box of kitchen matches, they lit right up even though the heads had been degraded by the repeated strikes on the included striker strips. All the matches I tested did indeed burn for 15 seconds, with a much more intense flame than a standard match. In fact, the flame reminded me of what a flame from burning magnesium looks like. I also dipped a match in water, removed it, and attempted to light it; it did and stayed lit. It remained lit for maybe a second when I submerged it in water. So, a big plus for the matches themselves, but a completely fail on the striker paper.

Then, I tested the container. The container is a bit on the large side, but it has to be to accommodate the larger storm matches. The container appears to be durable and I estimate it would take a considerable amount of abuse without cracking. I submerged it in water for about 30 minutes with some paper towel inside and it didn't leek one bit. However, it occurred to me that the scenarios in which I could see my gear ending up in the water, necessitating water proof containers, would probably not involve water sitting at room temperature. So, I filled up a bucket with some ice water and waited till the temperature got below 50 degrees Fahrenheit. I then submerged the match container for 30 minutes with a piece of paper towel inside. When I removed the container, dried it off, and opened it, I was dismayed to find the paper towel was soaked and water was pooled in the bottom of the container. My theory is that the cold water caused the plastic O-ring to contract, breaking the seal and allowing water to enter the case. Thinking that maybe I had a bad one, I tested the second container I purchased and got the same results.

So, here are my final thoughts. The matches work just fine, but you can also buy packs of storm matches elsewhere. The striker paper is absolutely useless and I would recommend that you cut a piece off a standard match box to use instead. The container is relatively durable and will resist most contacts with water, unless you are concerned that the container might end up submerged in cold water, in which case the container will fail. All in all, I give it 3 stars and I have decided to return the product. There are cheaper, more compact ways of making your own water proof storm match container. Oh well.
88 comments| 82 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on July 7, 2016
These are incredible matches!!!!! I saw the videos with them continuing to burn even after held under water and thought their had to be sort of faking that. As soon as I got them I filled up my kitchen sink and lit one. I put it under water and it went out and had bubbles coming up but as soon as I took it out of the water it relit!!! I couldn't believe it! I blew on it as hard as I could and nothing! Literally the only way to put this thing out is to let it burn past the epoxy like stuff or bury it under dirt. These things are truly "end of the world" matches. I bought a few extra boxes of them and keep them in the vehicles and in my bug out bag. They're very thick wood too and long enough to get a good, long burn out of them. VERY high quality matches.
on December 8, 2017
These matches work as advertised. The tip appears to have extra-long-lasting magnesium flare, so you have to take that into account--you can't hold the match long enough to use it in more than one area, so it might be helpful to have a candle handy--just in case. It comes wrapped in plastic and with extra sheets of striker material. This is all great for a survival situation, but only if it is short-term. There are about 25 matches, so over an extended survival period you might well run out, unless you can keep a fire going. That and the difficulty of handling the extra-long flare of the match are why I took off a star. The extra-long flare, however, may be a life-saver in windy conditions, as the match is not going to blow out.
on March 3, 2015
Okay, I like redundancy. First, I believe you should try to have at least two options. When I go camping my PRIMARY firestarting tool is a high intensity butane microtorch like this one (http://www.amazon.com/BBQbuy-Pencil-Welding-Soldering-Lighter/dp/B007A9YSPW/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1425401727&sr=8-5&keywords=micro+torch), my secondary fallback tool are these matches, and my "make-or-break" is a swedish firesteel. These matches probably aren't the BEST that are available but they've never failed me. I like the fact that they come with their own waterproof case and they come with extra strikers. Here's a piece of advice... keep ALL the strikers INSIDE the case until you need to use them. If the phospher striking material gets wet the matches don't work... period. At that point you'd be better off taking a couple and putting them into your "birdnest" of tinder and using the sparks from a firesteel to set them off.
on June 15, 2011
These are some great matches, stay lit even underwater. If you don't believe me, go youtube UCO stormproof matches and see for yourself.

Product came as advertised. Just like the boxed UCO matches it comes with extra striking strips. All 25 matches accounted for as well as a cotton ball I wasn't expecting, but knowing it's there just incase I need it is nice to know. The case itself is about as long as my hand is wide, fits right in the palm of my hand. No leaks in case, it handled my water soak test.

A good thing to have in your firestarting kit. I added it in with my firestarting kit, I usually keep multiple methods of starting fires with me just incase. If I end up using all the matches up, I can easily use the case to keep dry tinder in or I could simply order some more UCO matches that come in a matchbox and refill the case.

Definitely a must have for your emergency/survival kit, hardly takes up any space in mine.
0Comment| 125 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.