Save Big On Open-Box & Used Products: Buy "UNSCRIPTED: Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Entr...” from Amazon Open-Box & Used and save 21% off the $22.95 list price. Product is eligible for Amazon's 30-day returns policy and Prime or FREE Shipping. See all offers from Amazon Open-Box & Used.
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
UNSCRIPTED: Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Entrepreneurship Paperback – May 23, 2017
Featured business titles
Sponsored by McGraw-Hill Learn more.
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
Special offers and product promotions
From the Publisher
What if Life Wasn't About Working Monday-Friday, Paying Bills And Then Dying?
Life is not about forfeiting Monday-thru-Friday, paying bills for 50 years and then dying. If this describes your current life, take heart: it’s not your fault as much as you think. You’ve fallen for one of the greatest scams ever perpetrated on humans, a scam upon which millions have been fed to be bred. You see, life has a default template— a Scripted road which has been culturally engineered for one purpose: Your willful servitude.
Hello, my name is MJ DeMarco and I just spent the last 3 years of my semi-retirement writing a book I hope opens your eyes and changes your life. We’re talking about a new perspective that launches a new beginning with a new purpose.
While Unscripted sits in the entrepreneurship genre, it’s really about life: self-endorsed work, meaning, freedom, abundance, and living without regret. It’s about waking up in the morning and pinching yourself black-and-blue that OMG, this is your life, and it's freaking awesome.
You live in your dream house, but there's no mortgage. No alarm clock, no boss, no bills. No claims on the day's time other than what you choose.
It is making more money before breakfast than you made for an entire week at your last job. It is a crazy expensive car parked in your garage, a victorious symbol that your dreams no longer sleep in fantasies, but are awake with reality.
It’s making a difference in the causes or charities you find worthy.
Simply put, it’s about leading life-- instead of life leading you.
Make no mistake, this life exists. I know, because it has been mine for nearly 20 years. And in a few short years, it can be yours as well. Better yet, you won't need 5 tedious decades of thankless jobs, buzz killing frugality, and patient investing with our trusted friends on Wall Street.
It's time to win more than a paycheck and 2 week vacation, win back your freedom. Your dreams. And your life.
Newsflash: Wall-Street Ain't Makin' Ya Rich
Make no mistake, Unscripted is not about some stupid stock-market scheme that works only after 50 years of soul-crushing frugality reliant on Wall-Street miracles. It's not about some trendy new marketing tactic that becomes fashionably overused with months-- Amazon already has a gazillion books on such trash. I wrote Unscripted to change your life.
Unfortunately, you have been Scripted to believe that such an exciting life is out of your reach, or only possible for a certain type of person; someone with a certain college degree, a certain amount of VC funding, or a certain connected list of friends from Stanford.
I am here to tell you, that none of it is true.
While I have been entrepreneur most of my life, I am no one special. You won't read about me over at Tech Crunch or in some Silicon Valley newsletter. While I have been an internet entrepreneur since the old 'you've got mail' AOL days, I've never been funded by venture capitalists, I've never had a payroll with more than 5 people on it, and I've never studied computer science at school.
Despite this, I have created profitable businesses that create the type of Unscripted life described above. We are talking five- and six-figure monthly profits with valuations in the millions. Although I have had two successful exits, do not let that scare you; it is just a welcome side effect of the process.
So, if you are ready for the challenge, get ready for a sh*t-your-pants revelation that everything you have been taught is bullsh*t. Legendary bullsh*t.
Paradigm shift? Heck no. A paradigm shift won't stop a sinking Titanic. The problem is the paradigm itself. You have allowed the paradigm to set the rules, call the shots, and dictate the decisions. The problem is, you have allowed ordinary thinking preached by ordinary people to produce exactly that; an ordinary life.
The paradigm shift is realizing the paradigm is sh*t.
Was Unscripted Written Exclusively For You?
Are You a Dreampreneur Who Can't Turn a Break or a Profit?
Transform your business (or know when to kill it) and learn how to create a life-shattering venture that scales into the stratosphere, prints money, explodes your net worth, and frees time. Venture capital, deep LinkedIN connections, and coding knowledge, not required.
Are You a 'Pay-the-Bills' Entrepreneur Who Just Survives?
Break the curse of ineffective action-faking and idea leapfrogging. Expose critical fail points and finally breakthrough into scaled growth and explosive profits. Learn how to expose prized opportunities in any industry, while knowing which to avoid.
Do You Aspire for Something More than Cultural Mediocrity?
Repossess the pen writing your story and free yourself from the dream-killing grip of Scripted indoctrination. Learn how to identify and abolish the mental roadblocks leashing you to averageness. Squash 99% thinking and think like the 1%. Then become it.
Are you Tired of Pushing Resumes for Unfulfilling Jobs?
Kick the job to the curb, tell the boss to pound sand, and become an Unscripted Entrepreneur. Discover the market keystones which will pave the road to your first successful business. Liberate yourself from a paycheck & get paid everyday, not just on Friday.
Available exclusively at Audible in audiobook.
Here's just some of the Scripted dogma we'll expose
(Sorry, your favorite gurus have been lying to you! And getting rich doing so!)
- Saving $5 on your Starbucks latte isn't going to make you rich.
- Unless you work on Wall-Street, the stock market doesn't make common men, uncommonly rich.
- The media no longer reports news; they're in the business of mind control and propaganda.
- Working 5 days for 2 is not an interest payment; it's an immediate loss of principal.
- A compound interest failure will cost you your life. (No do-overs!)
- Monday thru Friday is a human construct. A Monday is the same as Saturday.
- Herds are organized for economic purposes; shearing, milking, slaughter...
- Truth is rarely profitable.
The Rat Race Needs Rats
Build Your Escape, Build Your Business, Change Your Life
Here is just some of what you will learn
- The keys to an entrepreneurial 'productocracy' - learn how to 'print money' with the holy grail of business, how to get it and how to keep it printing.
- The C.E.N.T.S. Commandments of business start-up; how they make the difference between a business that changes your life, or a business that just pays bills until next month.
- The (2) biggest lies in the success industry and how they're keeping you grounded to mediocrity.
- How to find motivation that inspires not only starting, but finishing. The 1 thing that makes or breaks success, for any person, at any time, in any business. (You won't find this in any business book!)
- Beliefs, biases, and BS; the pernicious prison of our heads -- how to expose your personal dogma, fight it, and ultimately, beat it.
- Why Wall-Street won't make you rich and how its compound-interest fairy tale is the most pernicious scam ever perpetrated on Scripted slaves.
- The 9 Scripted hyperrealities and how your daily interaction with them will either predestine your life to ordinariness, or exceptionalism.
- The 3 tests of continuing or quitting: Know exactly when to keep grinding, and not quit '3 feet from gold'.
- The never revealed process for exploiting money-making ideas, in any industry, even if you consider yourself a creative zero.
- And 400+ pages of DeMarco diatribes!
Live Again! Don't Let an Invisible Script Hijack Your Life
No child dreams of mopping floors or working in a cubicle hell. You see, Scripted membership is neither perceived or consented. Since you’ve been old enough to sit obediently in a classroom, you've been culturally engineered for servitude, unwittingly enslaved into a Machiavellian system where unwritten rules go unchallenged, sanctified traditions go unquestioned, and lifelong dreams go unfulfilled.
As a result, your life is marginalized to debt, despair, and dependence. Life auto-repeats into the mundane and trivial. Fun fades to a weekend. And dreams die.
The truth is, if you blindly follow conventional wisdom pushed by conventional people living conventional lives, can you expect to be anything but conventional?
Unscript today and start leading life, instead of it leading you.
About the Author
MJ DeMarco is semi-retired entrepreneur, author, and investor. He is the founder of Viperion Publishing Corporation and The Fastlane Forum, in international discussion forum with over 30,000 members and 500,000 conversations. He currently lives in Fountain Hills Arizona.
If you buy a new print edition of this book (or purchased one in the past), you can buy the Kindle edition for only $2.99 (Save 63%). Print edition purchase must be sold by Amazon. Learn more.
For thousands of qualifying books, your past, present, and future print-edition purchases now lets you buy the Kindle edition for $2.99 or less. (Textbooks available for $9.99 or less.)
If you are a seller for this product, would you like to suggest updates through seller support?
Top Customer Reviews
I'm a huge MJ fan and most definitely not a Fastlane hater. I've bought probably 10-15 copies of his first book (The Millionaire Fastlane: Crack the Code to Wealth and Live Rich for a Lifetime) to give to friends and family. Without trying to sound corny, it's a book that speaks to my heart, and gave my own "quiet desperation" an internal voice that I finally understood. I'm actively working on building my Fastlane vehicle and will die before I give up on it. I keep copies of TMF by my toilet and on my nightstand.
I've gotta say though, while there was a lot that I enjoyed in this book, it sometimes felt downright torturous to read. With some of the rants in it, it was almost like witnessing the after effects of a really smart person with a lot to say locking themselves in a room for a month and emotionally vomiting into a document, formatting it, and then publishing it.
On the narrative: One thought that kept returning to me as I read it was a quote by Scott Adams (creator of Dilbert) in his book on failure (How to Fail at Almost Everything and Still Win Big: Kind of the Story of My Life) on writing, he says that EVERYONE should take business writing courses, and with everything they write, they should edit it as if they were getting $100 for every unnecessary word they eliminated.
Unlike a LOT of other self-help books that use a lot of extra words just to waste space, MJ is really honestly trying to get his point across, and he does, but he could do it so much more concisely. I would gladly buy a new copy of this book if it were reworked and simplified.
On the key ideas: MJ has some great thought systems, but some of the creative acronyms and the accompanying graphics are pretty complicated in the way they were presented. As I read, I kept having to go back and back again to figure out WTF I was reading and maintain context. Harder to do on the Kindle than the paperback (I have both). The way he's presenting some of his ideas sometimes seems like it would be more appropriate for a seminar or classroom where you see the idea up there on the screen and you can actively follow along as the speaker explains it. But then again, I have been called an idiot with ADHD before lol.
Bottom line, still better than most of the other self-help books out there, but not his best work, and I don't think it's a good reflection of what MJ really is capable of.
• The Careless Whispers from you Soul
• Action faking vs action taking
• Sunday evening is the ultimate test if you are leading a scripted life – how do you feel about going back to work Monday morning?
• Don’t be a “Time Prostitute” – time is scarce money is not!
• Don’t be part of the “herd” headed to slaughter!
• Hyperreality and observational bias (Jedi Mind Tricks)
• Being a producer vs consumer – “you can’t be owned by what you own”
• The “pain of discipline or the pain of regret”
• Micro-processes + macro-processes = success – no silver bullets just small habits focused
• There are no shortcuts!
• The “event” is the result of the “process”
• Have a growth mindset
• The Kaizen Principle
• Getting rich isn’t done by desiring wealth it is in providing “perceived value” to others
• “Perceived Value vs Actual Value”
• “Luck vs Probability” and the “Gumball Machine” Brilliant analogy!
• Investing and all the popular falsies/scams
• Cancer Corollary – “do I have something I want and what will it cost me”
• Autonomy (control) as the number one reason for our happiness! This is again worth the price of the book 10x over!
• “How to create a business that changes your life” this is the framework!
• The “CENTS” commandments again worth the price of admission!
• “Expected Value” – holy cow batman this is good stuff!
• From Process to Productocracy!
• Best (13) Execution practices!
• Lifetime Passive Income!
• “The last business ever – if you want”
Unscripted is a book that I read slowly because it is so jammed packed with valuable wisdom that you need to process. It is a book that I will re-read many times over taking more notes and putting actionable habits that move my life from the Scripted to the Unscripted! This is the one book I will give to all my kids and close friends!
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Unscripted is a prequel to The Millionaire Fastlane, in my opinion, although both books stand alone.Read more
Straight to the point without a bunch of feel good fluff in it
This book is not for everyone, if you want more out of life then this book is for you.Read more