- Paperback: 416 pages
- Publisher: Viperion Publishing Corporation; 1st edition (May 23, 2017)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0984358161
- ISBN-13: 978-0984358168
- Product Dimensions: 6 x 1 x 9 inches
- Shipping Weight: 1.4 pounds (View shipping rates and policies)
- Average Customer Review: 402 customer reviews
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #15,900 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Other Sellers on Amazon
+ Free Shipping
+ $3.99 shipping
UNSCRIPTED: Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Entrepreneurship Paperback – May 23, 2017
The Amazon Book Review
Author interviews, book reviews, editors picks, and more. Read it now
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
From the Publisher
What if Life Wasn't About Working Monday-Friday, Paying Bills And Then Dying?
Life is not about forfeiting Monday-thru-Friday, paying bills for 50 years and then dying. If this describes your current life, take heart: it’s not your fault as much as you think. You’ve fallen for one of the greatest scams ever perpetrated on humans, a scam upon which millions have been fed to be bred. You see, life has a default template— a Scripted road which has been culturally engineered for one purpose: Your willful servitude.
Hello, my name is MJ DeMarco and I just spent the last 3 years of my semi-retirement writing a book I hope opens your eyes and changes your life. We’re talking about a new perspective that launches a new beginning with a new purpose.
While Unscripted sits in the entrepreneurship genre, it’s really about life: self-endorsed work, meaning, freedom, abundance, and living without regret. It’s about waking up in the morning and pinching yourself black-and-blue that OMG, this is your life, and it's freaking awesome.
You live in your dream house, but there's no mortgage. No alarm clock, no boss, no bills. No claims on the day's time other than what you choose.
It is making more money before breakfast than you made for an entire week at your last job. It is a crazy expensive car parked in your garage, a victorious symbol that your dreams no longer sleep in fantasies, but are awake with reality.
It’s making a difference in the causes or charities you find worthy.
Simply put, it’s about leading life-- instead of life leading you.
Make no mistake, this life exists. I know, because it has been mine for nearly 20 years. And in a few short years, it can be yours as well. Better yet, you won't need 5 tedious decades of thankless jobs, buzz killing frugality, and patient investing with our trusted friends on Wall Street.
It's time to win more than a paycheck and 2 week vacation, win back your freedom. Your dreams. And your life.
Newsflash: Wall-Street Ain't Makin' Ya Rich
Make no mistake, Unscripted is not about some stupid stock-market scheme that works only after 50 years of soul-crushing frugality reliant on Wall-Street miracles. It's not about some trendy new marketing tactic that becomes fashionably overused with months-- Amazon already has a gazillion books on such trash. I wrote Unscripted to change your life.
Unfortunately, you have been Scripted to believe that such an exciting life is out of your reach, or only possible for a certain type of person; someone with a certain college degree, a certain amount of VC funding, or a certain connected list of friends from Stanford.
I am here to tell you, that none of it is true.
While I have been entrepreneur most of my life, I am no one special. You won't read about me over at Tech Crunch or in some Silicon Valley newsletter. While I have been an internet entrepreneur since the old 'you've got mail' AOL days, I've never been funded by venture capitalists, I've never had a payroll with more than 5 people on it, and I've never studied computer science at school.
Despite this, I have created profitable businesses that create the type of Unscripted life described above. We are talking five- and six-figure monthly profits with valuations in the millions. Although I have had two successful exits, do not let that scare you; it is just a welcome side effect of the process.
So, if you are ready for the challenge, get ready for a sh*t-your-pants revelation that everything you have been taught is bullsh*t. Legendary bullsh*t.
Paradigm shift? Heck no. A paradigm shift won't stop a sinking Titanic. The problem is the paradigm itself. You have allowed the paradigm to set the rules, call the shots, and dictate the decisions. The problem is, you have allowed ordinary thinking preached by ordinary people to produce exactly that; an ordinary life.
The paradigm shift is realizing the paradigm is sh*t.
Was Unscripted Written Exclusively For You?
Are You a Dreampreneur Who Can't Turn a Break or a Profit?
Transform your business (or know when to kill it) and learn how to create a life-shattering venture that scales into the stratosphere, prints money, explodes your net worth, and frees time. Venture capital, deep LinkedIN connections, and coding knowledge, not required.
Are You a 'Pay-the-Bills' Entrepreneur Who Just Survives?
Break the curse of ineffective action-faking and idea leapfrogging. Expose critical fail points and finally breakthrough into scaled growth and explosive profits. Learn how to expose prized opportunities in any industry, while knowing which to avoid.
Do You Aspire for Something More than Cultural Mediocrity?
Repossess the pen writing your story and free yourself from the dream-killing grip of Scripted indoctrination. Learn how to identify and abolish the mental roadblocks leashing you to averageness. Squash 99% thinking and think like the 1%. Then become it.
Are you Tired of Pushing Resumes for Unfulfilling Jobs?
Kick the job to the curb, tell the boss to pound sand, and become an Unscripted Entrepreneur. Discover the market keystones which will pave the road to your first successful business. Liberate yourself from a paycheck & get paid everyday, not just on Friday.
Available exclusively at Audible in audiobook.
Here's just some of the Scripted dogma we'll expose
(Sorry, your favorite gurus have been lying to you! And getting rich doing so!)
- Saving $5 on your Starbucks latte isn't going to make you rich.
- Unless you work on Wall-Street, the stock market doesn't make common men, uncommonly rich.
- The media no longer reports news; they're in the business of mind control and propaganda.
- Working 5 days for 2 is not an interest payment; it's an immediate loss of principal.
- A compound interest failure will cost you your life. (No do-overs!)
- Monday thru Friday is a human construct. A Monday is the same as Saturday.
- Herds are organized for economic purposes; shearing, milking, slaughter...
- Truth is rarely profitable.
The Rat Race Needs Rats
Build Your Escape, Build Your Business, Change Your Life
Here is just some of what you will learn
- The keys to an entrepreneurial 'productocracy' - learn how to 'print money' with the holy grail of business, how to get it and how to keep it printing.
- The C.E.N.T.S. Commandments of business start-up; how they make the difference between a business that changes your life, or a business that just pays bills until next month.
- The (2) biggest lies in the success industry and how they're keeping you grounded to mediocrity.
- How to find motivation that inspires not only starting, but finishing. The 1 thing that makes or breaks success, for any person, at any time, in any business. (You won't find this in any business book!)
- Beliefs, biases, and BS; the pernicious prison of our heads -- how to expose your personal dogma, fight it, and ultimately, beat it.
- Why Wall-Street won't make you rich and how its compound-interest fairy tale is the most pernicious scam ever perpetrated on Scripted slaves.
- The 9 Scripted hyperrealities and how your daily interaction with them will either predestine your life to ordinariness, or exceptionalism.
- The 3 tests of continuing or quitting: Know exactly when to keep grinding, and not quit '3 feet from gold'.
- The never revealed process for exploiting money-making ideas, in any industry, even if you consider yourself a creative zero.
- And 400+ pages of DeMarco diatribes!
Live Again! Don't Let an Invisible Script Hijack Your Life
No child dreams of mopping floors or working in a cubicle hell. You see, Scripted membership is neither perceived or consented. Since you’ve been old enough to sit obediently in a classroom, you've been culturally engineered for servitude, unwittingly enslaved into a Machiavellian system where unwritten rules go unchallenged, sanctified traditions go unquestioned, and lifelong dreams go unfulfilled.
As a result, your life is marginalized to debt, despair, and dependence. Life auto-repeats into the mundane and trivial. Fun fades to a weekend. And dreams die.
The truth is, if you blindly follow conventional wisdom pushed by conventional people living conventional lives, can you expect to be anything but conventional?
Unscript today and start leading life, instead of it leading you.
From the Inside Flap
What If Life Wasnt About Paying Bills, Working FOR a weekend, and Then Dying? Tired of sleepwalking through a mediocre life bribed by mindless video gaming, redemptive weekends, and a scant paycheck from a soul-suffocating job? Welcome to the SCRIPTED clubwhere membership is neither perceived or consented. The fact is, ever since youve been old enough to sit obediently in a classroom, you have been culturally engineered for servitude, unwittingly enslaved into a Machiavellian system where presumptive rules go unchallenged, sanctified traditions go unquestioned, and lifelong dreams go unfulfilled. As a result, life is hijacked and marginalized into debt, despair, and dependence. Fun fades. Dreams die. Your lifes consolation prize becomes a car and a weekend.Recapture what is yours and make a revolutionary repossession of life-and-libertys reins through the pursuit of ENTREPRENEURSHIP. Paradigm shift? Heck, the paradigm doesnt need a damn shiftit needs to be thrown-out altogether.UNSCRIPTED shows you how to rewrite lifes dream-killing script. Ditch the job, flick Wall-Street the bird, and escape the insanity of trading your life away for a paycheck and an elderly promise called retirement. UNSCRIPT today and lead lifeinstead of life leading you.
About the Author
MJ DeMarco is semi-retired entrepreneur, author, and investor. He is the founder of Viperion Publishing Corporation and The Fastlane Forum, in international discussion forum with over 30,000 members and 500,000 conversations. He currently lives in Fountain Hills Arizona.
If you buy a new print edition of this book (or purchased one in the past), you can buy the Kindle edition for only $2.99 (Save 60%). Print edition purchase must be sold by Amazon. Learn more.
For thousands of qualifying books, your past, present, and future print-edition purchases now lets you buy the Kindle edition for $2.99 or less. (Textbooks available for $9.99 or less.)
Top customer reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
• The Careless Whispers from you Soul
• Action faking vs action taking
• Sunday evening is the ultimate test if you are leading a scripted life – how do you feel about going back to work Monday morning?
• Don’t be a “Time Prostitute” – time is scarce money is not!
• Don’t be part of the “herd” headed to slaughter!
• Hyperreality and observational bias (Jedi Mind Tricks)
• Being a producer vs consumer – “you can’t be owned by what you own”
• The “pain of discipline or the pain of regret”
• Micro-processes + macro-processes = success – no silver bullets just small habits focused
• There are no shortcuts!
• The “event” is the result of the “process”
• Have a growth mindset
• The Kaizen Principle
• Getting rich isn’t done by desiring wealth it is in providing “perceived value” to others
• “Perceived Value vs Actual Value”
• “Luck vs Probability” and the “Gumball Machine” Brilliant analogy!
• Investing and all the popular falsies/scams
• Cancer Corollary – “do I have something I want and what will it cost me”
• Autonomy (control) as the number one reason for our happiness! This is again worth the price of the book 10x over!
• “How to create a business that changes your life” this is the framework!
• The “CENTS” commandments again worth the price of admission!
• “Expected Value” – holy cow batman this is good stuff!
• From Process to Productocracy!
• Best (13) Execution practices!
• Lifetime Passive Income!
• “The last business ever – if you want”
Unscripted is a book that I read slowly because it is so jammed packed with valuable wisdom that you need to process. It is a book that I will re-read many times over taking more notes and putting actionable habits that move my life from the Scripted to the Unscripted! This is the one book I will give to all my kids and close friends!
If you're a cozy, happily employed person who is deeply satisfied with your weekend lifestyle, then this book is absolutely not for you. In fact, run away! Its only going to cause you trouble. But if you find yourself among the discontented 70%, stuck in traffic and depressed, profoundly disillusioned with your own past choices; pay close attention. Whining about the traps of our modern society will get you nowhere, and the true cause of your ills is not really the common scapegoats: politics, racial or class issues (although they have their moments). It's your mental framework and a lack of understanding of and experience with entrepreneurship. The truth is that America can be a truly great country for anyone, but its rewards mercilessly and relentlessly go to those entrepreneurs who deliver relative value. Provide real value to others and whatever limits you presume exist in your life (sex, age, race, upbringing, education) will rapidly vanish. In that sense, its a real hopeful step forward and a useful tool for many of us.
Absolutely highly recommended, he's now among my favorite authors.
UPDATE: I've now completed the book 3 times, and it only gets better. Each time I go through it I realize there are some useful pearls of wisdom in there that I had grasped conceptually but not completely faced (about myself). Some people might regard the material in this book as shocking. But what's really shocking is that here in the 'Land of Opportunity' after years and years of college and real world experience, this is not common wisdom. You don't hear this material anywhere. It should be Business 101, or Prosperity 101, Life 101.
Most recent customer reviews
READ this book!Read more