Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: USA Today, Paid No-Ads Daily Edition
Your Garage Buy 2 kids' books and save Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Gemini Syndrome Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis DollyParton Water Sports

Showing 1-10 of 53 reviews(3 star). Show all reviews
on December 26, 2008
Hard to evaluate based on one edition, particularly as this one (Dec 26) has a fair amount of its content focused on "year in review" sort of articles. I will try this again when traveling, pairing it with the WSJ. It probably will fall into the guilty pleasure bucket for me and I suspect that the NY Times will edge it out most days.

The Good:
1. NY Times-like layout, using the easy to navigate "sections, articles" format.
2. Word length indication at the beginning of each article
3. Use of sub-headings within many articles
4. National scope of coverage for sports

The Not-So-Good
1. Very few pictures and no graphics
2. No sports standings (they could have really made this a "killer ap")
3. Quite a few of the shorter stories left me wanting a bit more (I know, this is USA Today!)

Net, worth a try at the price, but will probably be trumped by the Times, Post, etc. whose readers want that sort of depth, and will leave readers who like the paper version of USA Today buying their hard copy.
44 comments| 106 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 27, 2008
I read the New York Times daily on the Kindle and think it is worth every penny (and then some...because I even buy the Latest News as well!) While the USA Today (some call it McPaper) is very readable on the Kindle, I agree it loses some of its essential "character" without the graphics. More importantly, it is way overpriced at $11.95 per month. I will wait to see if the price drops before biting on this one. In the meantime, back to the very affordable New York Times.....
on December 26, 2008
i too wasn't expecting much in the way of graphics. but the stories are well written and (as usual) interesting topics. BUT......its too expensive versus the NY Times. if it was 8 or 9 dollars i would jump on a subscription. don't forget.......you don't get any weekend editions like the Times gives. i'll stick with the Times for now and wait to see where the price goes.
on October 30, 2010
Overall it is a very good source of news and information. It is, however, missing a very important part of the printed version: The Tech section. No matter how well written the rest of the paper was, this was a deal-breaker.
on January 4, 2009
I enjoy USA today and have subscribed to it on and off. Although when I read it every day, eventually all the content blurs together and I can scarcely remember what I read after putting the paper down.

I was intrigued over the Kindle release but found the navigation difficult and the content is not the same without the color photos and eye catching layout. I cancelled the free subscription after 1 day and wasn't able to make it through even 1 edition.

It is free to find out for yourself though . . .

Update on March 2010. I have now subscribed to the e-Edition on-line on for USA today for a number of months and am very happy with this version. It is exactly like the print edition with some nice controls to flip through the paper. I can access from any computer and often read at lunchtime from work and do the crossword and suduko from home in the evening. The games are interactive, but cannot access previous day's games. There is a Saturday version that is advertised as a great feature but it is rehash of previous information; the movie review summaries are good though.
on June 2, 2010
Seriously? I'm obviously a gadget person if I'm reading on a Kindle in the first place, so USA Today saw fit to leave out the Technology section?? I'm not going to subscribe to this paper if I can get more content on-line for free and in color. To be fair, the News and Money articles are written well and have an even perspective. You are missing the nice color of the paper, but that's just a Kindle and I don't mind too much after looking at computer screens all day. I'm hoping more content and sections will be added very soon!
on October 15, 2009
This Kindle paper is way over priced, and it would be cheaper to buy it outright or subscribe and get the discount they offer. I will say that if you don't mind spending the money then this is a very good read for the Kindle. It has everything I normally read and more. I am going to stop my trial version and wait to see if the price ever comes down.
on August 9, 2013
One of my favorite things about this newspaper is that it reminded me of how much more I get for my money when I buy the New York Times. Even with its inflated pricing, I get much more content, not to mention content I can actually relate to. The success of a newspaper isn't entirely based upon its reporters ability to show how much the know about something no one else wants to read about. So if I had a free morning and wanted to get caught up on the news. I would definately buy the New York Times again.
on December 26, 2008
The bottom line on this version of USA Today is that if plain text articles are ok with you, you will like it. If color photos, tables and charts are important to you, you'll be disappointed with the Kindle edition of the newspaper. I will buy an occasional single issue, but will not subscribe. I hope that Amazon will in the future offer a second generation Kindle capable of bringing out the best features in a publication like this.
on April 17, 2013
There are better newspapers, but USA today does lend itself to kindle very well.
I like to buy all my media for my kindle one issue at a time. To be honest when I am in my roaming area on my cellphone, I get all my news from Flipboard. However I was off the coast near China standing watch on the stern of the vessel watching for pirates when I noticed my kindle had a signal. I down loaded a few newspapers and had a nice time catching up on the news, and thankfully saw no pirates. Since then when I am overseas, I find myself picking and choosing among the various news publications whenever I want to catch up with is going on in the world outside my little area.