Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports
asked by S. Dwarakanath on January 1, 2010
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-10 of 24 answers
A
Yes, any USB drive will work. Currently the Touch only supports FAT16/32 formatted drives, NTFS format support is planned.
Some USB drives may require their own power, not relying on the USB power output.
iTunes music library on USB should work as long as your iTunes music is not DRM infected.
But I'd suggest you carefully read the Touch's onboard server specs very carefully as the Touch must be able to play *whatever* format music natively (no transcoding). The Touch's onboard server is not powerful enough to transcode.
MikeT answered on January 9, 2010
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Sakahara answered on February 5, 2010
Comment | 1 of 3 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
A few things to keep in mind using the Touch's built in server:
- no transcoding, will only play music formats native to the Touch (I presume Apple Lossless is supported, not certain)
- no computer UI whatsoever
- no plugins supported
MikeT answered on February 5, 2010
Comment | 0 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Here's what Logitech says about file formats supported by the Squeezebox Touch:

Audio formats
* MP3, FLAC, WAV, AIFF, WMA, Ogg Vorbis, AAC, Apple Lossless
* WMA Lossless, APE, MPC and WavPack supported through transcoding
* Some formats may require additional software installation

Internet radio
* Support for MP3, Ogg Vorbis, AAC and WMA formatted Internet radio streams
JP answered on February 13, 2010
Comment | 2 of 4 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Is there a difference between formats supported wirelessly versus via USB or SD?

I was initially excited about connecting a USB powered hard drive to the Touch and taking the PC and wireless out of the picture. HOWEVER, USB drives are said to be electronically noisey and this might affect sound quality. I am planning to use this on a very high resolution high end audio system otherwise I would not bring this up. SD card might be a LOT better in this regard but then we are limited to 32GB and I used Apple lossless.... sigh.
Art M. answered on April 9, 2010
Comment | 1 of 3 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
JP answered on April 9, 2010

A
Thanks for the info. Here's a stretch: how about a USB hub with several drives on it? :)
Art M. answered on April 9, 2010

A
Just an FYI:
I'd suggest anyone read the Touch spec's very carefully. If using a USB drive connected to the Touch then the music files must be in a format *native* to the Touch. There is no transcoding using the Touch's inbuilt server.

Also, Digital outs from Touch to AVR/receiver will work great, but then you are bypassing one of Touch's great selling points being it's very good DAC. Most AVR/receiver DAC's will not be as good as is included with the Touch.
MikeT answered on April 19, 2010

A
Would that include any lossless formats such as FLAC?
C. Striemer answered on April 20, 2010

A
FLAC is supported natively. But there are current issues using FLAC on the Touch's inbuilt server.

Also, currently the Touch's inbuilt server is limited to Playlists of less than 100 songs.
MikeT answered on April 20, 2010
‹ Previous   1   2   3   Next ›

See all questions about this product