Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. STEM Starting at $39.99 Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon soul2soul soul2soul soul2soul  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on September 25, 2014
First, I apologize, but this will be a lengthy review. For that reason I am breaking it into two sections. The quick and dirty section and the full review. If you are in a hurry, just read the quick and dirty section. If you want the full story, read the full review.

QUICK AND DIRTY REVIEW: Great product once you have WORKING drivers.
Steps to make this work correctly under Windows 8.1 x64
1. DO NOT install the Asus drivers and setup utility!!! (I can't stress this enough.)
2. Plug in USB adapter and let Windows assign the driver automatically.
3. Go to the Edimax driver download page using the link below and download the drivers.
4. Go to device manager and select update driver for the Asus wireless adapter.
5. Select the Win81x64 folder in the extracted driver location and let Windows update the driver.
6. Enjoy your now, fully functional, 802.11ac adapter!

FULL REVIEW;
I am a fan of Asus. I have an Asus MB and the RT-AC87U router. All work exceptionally well. I figured that as I have an 802.11ac router, I might as well take advantage of that speed and get a USB 802.11ac adapter. Having had good experiences with other Asus products, I bought this adapter.
I downloaded the latest version of the driver and setup utility from the Asus website, installed the driver package and plugged in the adapter. It opened the, newly installed bloatware, network setup utility and allowed me to connect to my WiFi. All appeared good. I was connected at a good speed, around 520 Mbps and able to surf and stream just fine. I figured I would live with the unnecessary bloatware. And all was good, for about 6-8 hours. At this point, the adapter just stopped responding. Solid blue LED, no flashing, no connection to the network. Pull up bloatware, disable and re-enable radio. No difference. I unplug the device and plug it back in and it starts to work again. Another couple hours later, same problem. I spend a lot of time troubleshooting and after days of random internet drops decide it must be defective and return it for an exchange. I get the new adapter the next day, God Bless Amazon, and plug it in. Again, all seems right with the internet. Again, disconnected after several hours. I try to extract the drivers from the Asus install package only to find they are contained in Installshield CAB files that cannot be opened as an archive. So, the only way to get the Asus drivers is to use their, crappy, buggy bloatware utility.

I read in another review that if you uninstall the Asus bloatware and drivers and just plug it in and let Windows assign the driver it works fine. I do this. And it does. After a fashion. It works fine, if you want an 802.11n adapter. Using the WIndows driver I was never able to get it to connect at better than 280-320 Mbps. This is great for wireless N, but we are paying for a wireless AC adapter. I research some more, and find that this product has the same Realtek chipset, RTL8812AU, as the Edimax EW-7822UAC USB adapter. I download the Edimax drivers from the link below and extract them. Go into device manager and update the driver for the Asus wireless adapter and point it at the RTWLANU_Driver\Win81X64 directory in the extracted folder location and, miracle of miracles, it updates without a hitch and now connects at 520-720 Mbps consistently. Voila, a working USB 3.0 802.11ac adapter. It has been stable for a few days and I'm hopeful it is a permanent fix. And, bonus, no crappy bloatware!

Link to Edimax drivers: http://www.edimax.com/edimax/download/download/data/edimax/global/download/for_home/wireless_adapters/wireless_adapters_ac1200_dual-band/ew-7822uac

So, you may be asking, why I would I rate this product 5 stars? Well, because I'm rating the adapter, not the software. With working drivers, this is a 5 Star adapter. It has great range and great speed. The Asus software would get 0 stars from me. Maybe someone at Asus will read these reviews and put out a driver only package. NOTE: Most people don't want or need your bloatware, Asus!

Anyway, thanks for reading and I hope the review helps others avoid my frustration with what is, overall, a very good product.
506 helpful votes
507 helpful votes
5150+ comments|Report abuse
on February 12, 2017
I have a 125 Mbps internet connection, as measured on a computer with a wired connection to the router. Remarkably, with this adapter, I was able to achieve 100% the same speed over a wireless connection, when located in a bedroom upstairs and across the house from the router. Lesser adapters have never done better than 1/3 the speed, e.g. 40 Mbps was the best that the TP-Link AC1900 Wireless Dual Band PCI-Express Adapter with Beamforming Technology (Archer T9E) could do, though that was itself a big improvement over other adapters I've tried. I suspect that the ability to select the best location for the Asus' antenna array has a lot to do with its impressive speed and stability. Problem solved for a tough location, saved me $600 over what it would have cost me to get an electrician to run wired Ethernet.
on July 18, 2017
I have only had this product one day, so I am merely commenting on the ease of setup and a few core features that stand out to me.This is for the PCI-e version. I installed the card in the PC, booted it up, and the card was instantly ready for a wireless password. Running Windows 10 x64 Pro, it did not even have to pull a driver from Windows Updates. That's about as simple a setup as you can get.

I'm also very pleased about the external antennae. I didn't even know about it until I opened the box and at first, I thought it would be useless because I don't like mounting things that leave sticky residue. But then it got next level - it's a magnetic antennae. I have a standing desk, so I was able to mount it a fair bit higher than if were stuck to the side of my PC. The cable is not that long and it might not make a huge difference, but that is an excellent feature. Very pleased so far.
on May 28, 2017
So far, all is good. Needed to replace a "no-name" adapter I inherited from my Son that would have disconnect issues occasionally. Followed this process and it installed flawlessly.

Google searched for Win 7 driver, which pointed to ASUS support website with latest driver version. Downloaded to desktop. Uninstalled current USB wireless adapter driver via Control Panel => Programs and Features. Rebooted. Installed ASUS driver. Rebooted. While booting, plugged in the N300. Recognized by Win7. Configured for my wireless network and has been working flawlessly. Very happy with this purchase.
on January 24, 2017
I purchased an AC56 for my son's computer and an AC68 for mine. Coming from an Intel Centrino N-6205 adapter in my computer and a Netgear N900 USB for his, these were a like a breath of fresh air. Installation was a breeze, the drivers were just fine from the CD. His AC56 was plug and play; Windows 10 recognized it. Make sure to check the ASUS website for the updated drivers. I have Verizon FIOS 150/150 so I was hoping that we would get the full signal, from both the 2.4 and 5 signals, whenever available. I was not disappointed. My 5 signal has shown up to the full 1.3ghz and tends to hover around 900mps with the AC68, my son gets 866mps with the AC56. My router is next to his room and downstairs from me so he has better access. My 2.4 signal maxes out at 566 and hovers around 350 most of the time with his averaging about 200 and topping out around 400. While we are at the mercy of the available wireless signal, we are now able to get the most out of it and can expand as our needs grow.
on March 29, 2016
Finally found a decent wi-fi adapter that actually delivers on range and performance. I have gone through a half-dozen different 802.11ac adapters before buying this one and each had the same problem. None of the other ones would keep a consistent connection and speed to my wi-fi router. They all ended up dropping down to lower speeds. What is the point of having 802.11ac if you cant use it?!? The ASUS XC1900 adapter finally provided the performance I expected. It connects to my wi-fi router without any issues and maintains full speed. This card is blazing fast. If you want a reliable 802.11ac card that does what it says then get this one.
3 helpful votes
on May 5, 2016
Well first of all let me start by saying I'm an ASUS fanboy, especially when it comes to motherboards. That being said I'm pretty disappointing with this.

I purchased an ASUS AC Nighthawk router and this to avoid running Cat6 through my attic. I have 100Mbps down and 15 Mbps up. That being said I can max out my speed and even exceed speed on an Ethernet line (ty ISP!) On a wireless A/C connection 10 feet from my router? Not even 50Mbps. YES it is plugged into USB 3.0 so I should be good up to 480Mbps there. I almost run faster on my old N connection. The only thing that should limit me is my connection speed and i know my ISP is solid!)

Not to mention the EMI shielding is HORRIBLE (i.e. non-existent) on this thing. The thing is so electrically noisy its unreal. I have speakers about a foot away on my desk that pick up the noise every time I start a decent size download or upload.

Lesson learned: Run Ethernet, and USB wifi adapters are crap. DON'T PROMISE PERFORMANCE YOU CAN"T MEET ASUS! (Yes I realize the theoretical max isn't possible because of tcp/udp overhead, but <50% of my connection bandwidth......)

Lastly....No microwaves were on during this test, and I was on an unoccupied wifi channel: no 5ghtz neighbors :D
on March 28, 2016
So I hope this helps someone, as I've had a heck of a time troubleshooting some problems. First off this card is powerful, which in the end is the funny bit...it's almost too powerful.

I built a new machine with an Asus Maximus VIII Hero board, and paired the adapter with a nighthawk ac1900 modem and router. Fast.

Drivers are a bit of a pain but are stable on Windows 10, I ended up using broadcom's wifi drivers as a bunch of sources had them the most up to date for support of this card.

Now the reason I knocked a star. Anytime I tried to install the card, the computer would lock up, freeze, or the GPU would artifact and crash. Weird. Turns out, the antennas that I had put directly on the card(instead of the proprietary dock) were creating interference...

Long story short, after I moved the antennas a bit away from the computer I got a ping of 8, and speeds posted above what I'm paying for; about 180mbits down(don't tell Comcast)
3 helpful votes
on November 7, 2017
Catches the wifi signal like a beast. No more wires on my Gaming/HTPC. Went for the AC1300 since I don't plan on getting 1Gb internet service anytime soon. Right now, I get 150Mbps down/up (~18.5 MB/s) on a fiber connection and this PCIe card is good for up to 867 Mbps (~108 MB/s). The PC is about 50 ft. away from the AC2600 router with 2 walls in between and signal strength is at 5/5 bars. Downloads from Steam are just as fast as with the Ethernet cable (~14 MB/s). It would be nice if the antenna cable(s) were a little longer, but it is just fine as-is. Works like a charm and should last a few years before any upgraded tech is needed. Drivers are stable and the Asus app is system resource-friendly.
on December 18, 2015
Been using the product for the second day. My main concern was to get it working under Linux, especially that old as Ubuntu 14.04 LTS. To my delight it worked straight out of the box with the stock 3.x kernel. Problems started when I installed the kernel 4.2, the module refused to load and also to compile. First I had to install GCC 4.9 and make it system default, second had to find bcmwl-kernel-source on Github. The available packages included the fix for 4.x kernel but it just didn't work. I ended up compiling the latest source code myself (which was easier than it sounds). Kicked off one star for not perfect support under Linux.

On the bright side, once the right drivers were installed, the wifi connection is at its best. Just make sure you have a good 802.11ac wifi router/hotspot and that the signal is good.