Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Trade in. Get paid. Go shopping. Tailgating FFII_gno

Showing 1-10 of 95 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 101 reviews
on November 22, 2012
This book is a great companion to the First Aid for several reasons. First, it organizes high yield basic science principles more specifically and efficiently than the First Aid. Second, it elaborates and further explains high yield topics that are just merely listed and not explained in detail in the First Aid. What I noticed about USMLE Step 1 secrets, was that it was able to explain important details about high yield Step 1 Topics without going off on a tangent and explaining unnecessary information not frequently tested on the USMLE. Another attribute of this text is that it virtually gives a clinical vignette to every pathology or subject being discussed. This strategy is effective in helping you to recall important details that you are studying. As a result this book will help you not only to perform better on your Qbanks, but on the actual exam itself as well. My advice? Whenever you come across a topic in the First Aid that you are fuzzy on, or lack a foundation on, look up the same topic in this book. If you follow this along with a Qbank, you should be able to perform well on the Step. Best of luck to everyone!
on September 25, 2012
I am currently a second year medical student and have been using First Aid ever since day 1 per the recommendations of many. I recently came across this book (buying this version since the previous edition is 4 years old) and am extremely happy that I did.

This book presents information by asking you questions (most of the time related to a case) and then answering them with important information that you will need for the boards. After most sections, they either have a Summary Box or a Step 1 Secret section to help you focus in on the high-yield stuff.

The authors openly admit that this should not be your only resource. In the Preface, they even say "Start with a fresh copy of the newest edition of First Aid for the USMLE Step 1. This will be your primary resource for the USMLE Step 1. Our book is designed to supplement the information that you learn in First Aid and help you place it into clinical context through a mix of basic-concept and case-based questions."

It's a good change of pace from First Aid and reads much easier. I am definitely going to use both books as I study, but I just wish I had known about this book when I started med school last year.
on May 23, 2016
Not a full five stars due to printing errors, but don't be afraid, the errors are obvious enough that you notice. I got this about halfway through second year and already read through most of it before starting STEP prep. This book is a fantastic resource for your first time through during the school year; the hour or so it takes to read the material at the start of each patho unit lays an excellent foundation that lets you get through your course material more quickly and efficiently as well as helping you secure honors. I cannot recommend it enough.
on April 28, 2014
I love the layout of this book and the unique question and answer format.
The way I'm utilizing this book is that I have it sitting by my bed and I always read it at night before bed. I try to make it through about 2 cases or so a night and it always helps solidify some material that I read before.
It's really great to be exposed to material at least 3 times and having material presented in a different way, like in this book, is a great addition to your study plan.
I definitely recommend it for anyone that learns by doing questions. Even though it's not multiple choice and it really just presents cases and questions and writes out everything for you, it still gives you the opportunity to think about it for a while before you continue reading so it does quiz yourself a bit.
on May 12, 2015
Easy to understand format. Great comprehensive review for step 1. It covered almost all high yield topics for step 1. Kindle version is easy to read. The only Cons and the reason for 4 star instead to 5 are the color atlas it has no title/ description of what organ or tissue or what stain or visualization technique like EM or LM. It only reference the source/author. Also the reference fig.# is clickable but once you reach the atlas /figure you can't click it back to go to the page you're reading so you would have to highlight and go back and forth.other than this tech issue , it was great overall.
on October 22, 2015
The unique thing about this book are the prefaces to the each of the chapters. The authors do great job of explaining what you are expected to know about each of the organ systems and why. The material itself it's not very different from other review books––I preferred to go to First Aid for the main review potion, although I have some friends who use this exclusively. I especially like the rapidfire facts that are located towards the end of the book. They're very useful for review for Step 1 exam.
on February 1, 2015
This book is a really great read for when you're doing systems in 1st year! After going through resources like First Aid and memorizing a bunch of facts, this book will do a great job of asking you "but do you know why?"

The cases are simple and effective and the book will essentially walk you through the clinical vignette. It will give their initial presentation and ask you what the differentials are. It will then give you a little more information, like labwork. It will then ask you what your new diagnosis is, etc.

Great stuff
on March 1, 2016
Wish they could update it. But overall it's been really helpful. The summaries and important key points to differentiate similar disease are extremely helpful pearls of info. Easy read and I like how they follow the cases through different stages with clinical scenarios. Maybe color pictures would be nice too
on June 22, 2014
I suggest you do the same. This was a great addition to my physio lectures -- cardio, lungs, and renal are explained awesomely in this book. I know I will defnitely use it more in conjunction with my year 2 questions. It may have a lot of pages, but its still condensed enough to where it is easy to travel with. Yay!
on June 26, 2017
Used this book as I was introduced to new systems throughout second year.