Salon Beauty Kindle 10th Anniversary Hallo nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch $5 Albums PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition $79.99. Limited-time offer. All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now HTL17_gno

on September 12, 2009
If you're looking for a Linux dial-up modem, this is the one to get. It's truly a hardware modem and uses the USB communications device standard. Linux detects the device using the standard USB communication driver and it woks with "pppd" and KDE KPPP.

If you're looking for a Windows modem this is still a great modem but you can get less expensive software modems. One advantage for Windows users is the bundled BVRP Phone Tools fax, terminal and phone book software. I've used this software with other US Robotics modems and it works great on all versions of Windows from Windows 2000 through Windows 7. Please be aware that it only works with the US Robotics modem and not other modems you may have installed. Since the modem is a true hardware modem it won't use as much of the computer's processing to communicate over dial-up. It's also less likely to cause operating system problems and crashes since it doesn't use a special OS service or driver.

The modem is light, small and well constructed. It comes with a decently long phone cord including a ferrite donut to cut down on radio interference. It works fine with any phone cable but the phone cable may affect nearby radio devices without the ferrite donut. I haven't had any problems with any phone cord.

There is a small green power light and a small phone communication light to show what the modem is doing. I thought those were a nice feature since I could tell immediately when the OS detected the modem (the power light came on). I also could tell when the modem was communicating because the data light would blink.

As I mentioned the software included is BVRP Classic Phone Tools for Windows. It has a CD with drivers and software, including a "README" file for Linux users. If you're having trouble figuring out the Linux device name, look at the Linux README on the CD.

A printed manual is included, but it doesn't have a lot of information. There's just enough to get the modem installed and working so you need to read the Phone Tools documentation. The printed manual is in multiple languages and that makes it seem like it has more than it actually does.

It may not be obvious but this modem also can send and receive faxes. The Phone Tools software for Windows has a fax capture driver that will let nearly any program print a document to the fax. Phone Tools gives you a chance to add a cover page and review the document before you send it. My only complaint about the print to fax driver is that you have to print all the pages using the same program. You can't add more pages to a fax after creating it. I've had to resort to pasting multiple pages into word documents or merging Acrobat documents so that I can make everything into one fax. Considering what the software does for the price it's a great program.

The modem does get warm after a while but not even enough to be uncomfortable to hold in your hand. I haven't had any problems with long-term operation and it communicates as fast as the phone line quality allows. The best part is that it doesn't have any noticeable effect on the speed of the computer and doesn't require any special software.

My only complaint about the modem is the price, but it isn't exorbitant compared to other true hardware modems for PCI or PCMCIA. Since it uses USB it is much more compatible with any computer, from a desktop to a netbook. Almost everything has a USB port and most operating systems support the USB communications device standard. Even though it's not cheap this modem will be useful for a long time, even with the inevitable computer technology changes. A PCMCIA or Expresscard modem might not be compatible with older or newer laptops and is no more convenient to plug in and use.

For Linux, you only need to buy one of these modems and connect it to whatever computer you happen to be using. Linux HAL detects it and you can use it immediately after plugging it in. You don't have to reboot or type in shell commands. If you're hesitating about the price, consider that it will save you time on every Linux computer where you need to use dial-up. The software modems included with most computers (especially laptops) are hard to get working and may stop working when you install newer versions of Linux. Also the software modem drivers tend to require undesirable kernel options such as no preemption in order to work. You have none of those issues with this little modem because it uses no extra software on Linux.

The bottom line is that this modem is worth every penny in spite of the rather high price. Amazon super-saver shipping takes a bit of the sting out of the price.
0Comment| 102 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 14, 2016
This is a Real Hardware Modem within a USB form without requiring an external power source.

For Linux, recompile your kernel for including USB Modem CDC ACM support; or navigate to Device Drivers > USB support > USB Modem (CDC ACM) support. If you're using a binary Linux distribution, you may need to additionally load the cdc-acm.ko driver/module.

PROS
1) A real hardware modem, not a win-modem or soft-modem.
2) No external power source, requiring to be left on 24/7.

CONS
1) No speaker or audio while connecting. I, as likely most, enjoy hearing the modem link-up with the remote ISP and then silencing the speaker after a successful link-up. Without hearing the negotiating, it's difficult to know if a successful connection is being made or has been made without watching the terminal.
2) Could have been neat to have a few more blinking lights and toggle switches, but I'm not at all complaining with the current package.
on May 2, 2015
Very good modem, though a bit expensive for what it is. The only complaint I have is with the fax software itself which is a bit skimpy as far as keeping track of what's sent or received and when, etc. In fact, there's no record of anything sent or received. That said, I use it with my iMac running 10.8.5, and the faxing software may be by Apple: a carryover from the earlier days when Macs included a built-in modem and ability to fax directly to and from the computer. Nowadays it seems that one has to pay one way or another to send or receive a fax, while with this modem and app I don't, but I'm probably one of the decreasing number who still has a landline.
on February 1, 2012
We will use this device to send faxes from our iMac running Lion. I installed it today and sent a sample fax and it seems to work OK. It replaces an Apple modem which is not supported under Lion. Follow the instructions on the paper installation guide which comes in the box:
1) Install the driver from the CD-ROM which comes in the box.
2) Physically connect the device.
I'll expand a bit on the instructions from here on....
3) Select the Network pane from System Prefs. Click on 'USB Modem' in the sidebar. If you are using the device to fax only, leave the first page blank. Click on the padlock and authenticate. Click the advanced button. Click the Modem tab. Select USRobotics as Vendor. For me, the model automatically appeared. Also Enable error correction, Wait for dial tone, Dialing: Tone, and Sound: On (there won't be any) were already selected. Click OK. Click Apply. USB Modem in the sidebar will indicate that it is not configured. That's OK for faxing.
I had to do a step 4 not in the instructions: Select the Print & Scan pane in System Prefs. Click on 'USB Modem' in the sidebar. Click on the padlock and authenticate if not already unlocked. Click the minus sign to remove the device. Click the plus sign to add it back.
on September 12, 2015
ONLY one complaint. The instructions of just plug it in for Linux, are a bit just plain WRONG. There are at least three software packages which must be configured to use the modem, and at least SOME mention of that fact deserves to be made in the manual; and at least SOME mention of the default ppp software most used should be make in the US Robotics manual. Works fine otherwise from what I can see.
on February 24, 2017
I have been working with computers since the days before USB modems were the only way to connect to BBSs. I chose this USB hardware fax modem because it is cross platform (Linux/Mac/Windows). However, I had some difficulting installing it. For one thing, the CD does not clearly indicate which setup files are needed for installing on Windows 7. Furthermore, once modem drivers finally installed, it was not clear that there is no dial tone thru the computer speakers (or anywhere else for that matter) so there is no feedback to tell whether line is busy etc. Or at least there was not in my case. In fact, the QuickInstall instructions that come with the modem do not even mention that this is a fax modem and I began to doubt that I had actually purchased a fax modem.

All attempts to fax simply resulted in redial attempts. It is possible that the other line was busy, or out of paper, but it would have had to be very tricky timing because right in the middle of testing I successfully faxed to the same destination using a USRobotics Win Modem using the same phone line and recipient. In the end I had success by:

1) Downloading the latest driver file & two most recent Firmware updates from USRobotics website
2) Reflashing the firmware. Twice (tried to flash with latest firmware first but was unable to do so until I flashed with penultimate firmware -- both available from USRobotics.
3) I called USRobotics tech support which was very helpful and reassured me that no dial tone is ever heard, and gave me a test number to fax to which worked fine. I then resent the same fax I was trying to send earlier successfully (the recipient is now the proud owner of two copies -- one from the USR Win Modem and one from my Hardware Modem!).

I deducted one point simply for the clunky and confusing installation process, but have to admit the tech support was top notch and restored my faith in this company. Would have given 4.5 if possible. I hope this helps someone minimize impact from whatever gremlins were preventing my initial efforts from finding success. I suspect the earlier problem may have been a combination of some incompatibility between the CD drivers and firmware on the modem and possible as yet undetermined user error (I did wait long enough to have the modem redial several times automatically so I don't think it was impatience on my part).

I will update this review if issues return.
on March 9, 2015
Having cut my landline more than 12 years ago I never thought I would re-enter the world of 56K modems. Alas, here I am needing to fax and all the faxing solutions I found were not wallet friendly or convenient. So, I decided I would give this a try with my VOIP line and hope for the best. My VOIP service handles all incoming faxes for me, so I only needed this for outgoing and it has worked very well. I am running Windows 8.1 integrated fax service and sending out faxes without issue.
on March 18, 2015
For Mac / Yosemite users my advice would be to read the Amazon customer reviews and especially the Q & A. Filter the reviews with the newest first. The installation instructions for Mac that came with the modem are out of date and inadequate. The USRobotics site is not helpful.
I installed the installation cd and the drive immediately started to buzz and chatter. The eject cd command did not work. I allowed the Mac to time out and performed a restart. At this point I was able to install the software. It will step you through several network settings. But the key to success is adding the modem to your printer que. This is not detailed in the USRobotics instructions. Thank you Amazon reviewers for pointing this out. Once configured properly the modem worked flawlessly. The missing star is for the crummy instructions.
on April 29, 2014
I am on a Mac using Mavericks 10.9.2 and I got this modem because I needed to send an occasional fax. I really don't like those all-in-one printer/fax/scanners and I already have a dedicated scanner and a dedicated printer, but no fax. So this seemed a good choice and it is! Easy install. There are some detailed but simple instructions I found on the Apple discussion boards about how to set it up: [...] Works well!

I originally asked the US Robotics tech support if there is place that listed the "sent" faxes in Mavericks. They responded with, to paraphrase: "We know nothin about that Mac operating system since its not ours and therefore it's not my job to tell you anything about it." Aren't they great?! It might be helpful from a customer service point of view for US Robotics to actually know how their product interfaces on the three main Operating Systems, but no. It's not their job! I did find out the answer from the Apple discussion boards. There is a menu item in the top of screen menu bar (menu heading="window") that lists the "sent" faxes. [...] There now Mr. US Robotics, was that so hard?

I haven't had this modem long enough to determine its reliability over time, so I can't comment on that. Seems good so far!

They lost one star for the poor support.
on February 24, 2016
WARNING! I have learned a very important lesson from a first failed attempt to install the modem.

I am a veteran Mac user and while I was following the driver installation instructions (needs to be dowloaded from the US Robotics Support because the newer generation iMacs—21" iMac with Retina display running OSX 10.11.3 "El Capitan"—do not have a CD-DVD ROM drive) the modem was not recognized by OS X and the Network driver was not displayed in the configuration. Even US Robotics Phone Support Staff could not help and recommended to return the "defective" modem.

The problem was solved after the second, replacement modem has failed installation and US Robotics Tech Support suggested to change the USB port—I first protested that it was already tried with the previous failed installation but complied and THIS TIME when attaching the modem to the extreme right (fourth) USB port the driver _has_ recognized the modem. The likely explanation for the first failure was that although the modem was not attached to a USB hub but was adjacent to a USB port that was a hub and on the first installation attempt when I switched the USB port I have simply switched the USB hub cable and the modem's cable and according to US Robotics tech support the iMac has two _pairs_ of USB ports and that the adjacency of a hub was the likely culprit. Caveat emptor!