Truck Reviews Beauty Warlight Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon $0.99 rentals for Prime members $0.99 rentals for Prime members $0.99 rentals for Prime members  Kids Edition Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now STL18_GNO

on January 30, 2013
I think the idea of making a stainless steel pail is great! Not only is it easy to clean but the smell is well contained. I can even use my cloth diaper bag with this pail which was a major selling point for us! Cost is more than we wanted to spend, however it has proved to be worth it. Another plus, Amazon's shipping was super fast, especially considering the size of the thing!

*In response to all the Negative Nellies out there...this product does not have magical properties. Of course it's going to smell when you open it, it's been holding dirty diapers! What matters is if it contains the smell when it's closed, which it DOES. (And which plastic ones do NOT.) Additionally, this is not a Mary Poppins bag! It's not bottomless, and it requires to be emptied on a REGULAR basis. Quit being lazy and empty your can before it gets so full you have to rip it out. These are NOT PRODUCT FAILURES, or reasons to mark a product down, deterring other people from having a great product, these are your own problems. If you are expecting magic in the real world, you have bigger issues than what to do with stinky poo.

*Also, to help those of you claiming to have trouble with opening the sliding door...you must apply gentle downward pressure, THEN slide it open. With one hand, it works perfect every time.

*This is coming from a mom of two, one who is no longer in diapers and the other a toddler with stinky boy poo. And who has previously owned plastic diaper pails that were less than satisfactory in the smell and clean departments. I hope this helps the sensible people out there.
1,088 people found this helpful
|1010 comments|Report abuse
on February 25, 2018
For those of you intending to use this for 1-2 children, you are probably ok, but if you are looking for extended use, either be prepared to replace after a couple of years or go with a different choice. I have had this diaper pail for just over 3 years, and I have 3 kids in diapers, so I put baby products through some testing. The pros with this can is its ease of use, it's a simple design, so it works without fail, can be used with standard garbage bags, I have always used the Ubbi bags myself, but have on occasion used standard garbage bags when I ran out of Ubbi bags, but I didn't like the fit as much as the Ubbi. The problem that I have experienced slowly overtime is the smell and mold growth in the can. The problem occurs because of the trapped moisture. If you have ever paid attention to a bag of diapers, due to the contents of the bag, moisture will develop, and that is not sealed off to the top portion of the can (area where the door opens to deposit diapers). There are some difficult to clean areas there, and over time rust and mold have developed...and the smell is awful. We are on our last child with diapers and I would love to not spend the money on a new can, but I'm at the point where it is just time to replace. I have tried to air it out a few times outside, but that doesn't really help. We try to be super quick when opening/closing the door to deposit a diaper, but the smell still lingers for several minutes. Also, compared to the Arm & Hammer pail, you are exposed to a lot more smell when changing the bag each time. Note, we do put a new bag in almost every day to the amount of use, so the issue we have experienced is not due to diapers sitting in there for days, it has just occurred slowly overtime.

See pictures to see affected areas of the can. You will also notice the moisture on the inside of the lid that causes the rust.
review imagereview image
27 people found this helpful
on March 3, 2017
This is our 2nd Ubbi we have purchased. After 1 year of using our first it smelled so horrible that we had to toss it. It looks great and you can use regular trash bags which we really really loved about it. We tried cleaning our first one multiple times but the smell wouldn't leave. I stay home with our son so I Thought maybe it smells extra horrible because nearly all diapers everyday go into our Ubbi. The 2nd one we bought we have been putting poo diapers in baggies and sprinkling baking powder in the Ubbi from time to time. It's helping SO much!! Love the locking feature as well. Great to keep our toddler out of the pail.
33 people found this helpful
on July 21, 2017
I must explain why I'm in love with a trashcan. I purchased this to use for my dog's backyard bombs. I live in a community where you can't leave your large trashcans outside. For those of us with dogs, leaving bombs in our trash cans in our garage is not an option with southern heat. I have this set-up outside our back door and its worked like s charm. It holds a standard bag, which I love. It doesn't need filters, which I really appreciate since I have 2 dogs and it will wear it fast. So far, there has been no smell at all.

I love that you can pick a design so it doesn't look like a trashcan. I went with the grey chevron. It's subtle and really dresses it up. The bin is very solid with a good weight. The plastic parts are sturdy and heavier gauge.

When you open the lid, there's a second holder that keeps the bag in place and creates a funnel to drop the item to the bag's bottom. When you close the top lid, everything locks in place on its own. The top snaps close to the body of the can. On top, there is a slide door that is super easy. The best feature for me is the little lock on the top. It's a round button, where you twist right to lock and left to unlock. The lock secures the push back handle and the top lid. With the lock in place, kids and pets cannot access the inside bin.

I would definitely recommend this unit!!!
14 people found this helpful
on November 15, 2017
Posted next to the garbage bags so you can see the height.... I actually thought it would be taller but it does the trick and I am so grateful it has a child lock or my son would have already gotten into it. (Believe me. He has tried) Oh... And as far as the stink factor.... When you open the hatch, the smell escapes a little but otherwise it's pretty good on containing the stink. Unless I were to get right up on it and smell of course lol. (I use the febreeze glad bags.... Amazing! The tommee tippee diaper pail was what I used to have and the smell literally stuck to the plastic. Even if I cleaned it. It was still nasty smelling!
review imagereview image
4 people found this helpful
on July 4, 2015
Okay, so.. I've been using this pail for soiled inserts and soiled diaper covers.
The things I like about it are:
-Size! Great size, it's not too small, nor too large. Fits enough, but not so much that the liners at the bottom get bad before washing.
-Durability. This can does NOT feel cheap. It's sturdy and solid. Much more sturdy than the Dialer Genie I had been using.
-Color! There were a plethora of colors to choose from! Awesome!
-Locking lid. Amazing when you've got curious toddlers running around.
-Being able to use any bag you want. Honestly, this is the best part about this pail. I hate having to buy specific bags or liners! Now I can switch back and forth between plastic or cloth liners.
-The handle. For some reason, the handle on the sliding door on the lid is amazing. I realize it's an odd this to gawk at, but it's really awesome! Big handle, easy to slide, but also doubles as a handle to carry the whole pail by when I need to clean it.

Okay, now for the single thing I hate about this pail, but in fairness, is the same thing I hate about all pails:
THE SMELL. I thought this pail would be a little more stink-resistant, but it's not! I rinse all the liners before throwing them in there, I've tried different bags, I wash the pail with bleach and disinfectant, I keep the sliding door on the lid open when it has soiled liners in it to keep air flow in there and NOTHING helps. I do realize that inevitably, a vessel that stores poop and pee will smell. But I've only had this pail for a few months and already it smells! For the money, I wish there was something that could help.
Otherwise, a great product.
7 people found this helpful
on May 1, 2018
Let's be clear here folks, it is a diaper pail that uses any garbage bag you put in it. If you are delusional and think that it will never smell, especially when using a plain old kitchen trash bag or when opened, then this is not the diaper pail for you. Will it keep your kods room from smelling like poo? Totally! Will it totally smell like poo when opened or when at nose level with the closed can? Absolutely! You know why? Because it is a diaper pail with a kitchen trash bag...!... When we change the bag we do try to leave it open for a while to let it dry and air out because it does get a condensation buildup in the lid and we don't want it to rust. Only complaint I have is that the thing that holds the bag up sticks oit wuite a ways so you have to wiggle a full bag past it gently if you don't want it to rip. As other reviews state, there is a lock holding the sliding door closed but there is not a lock on the liftable lid, but it is rather hard to open the lift lid so I'm hoping little man won't ba able to open it and will be detered by the smell if he does get it open some day. Good enough that we bought a second one for our playroom downstairs... Don't be a dummy, of course it will rust and leak out the bottom if you don't use some sort of liner...
One person found this helpful
on December 10, 2016
This product is amazing! We had a diaper genie for years before we bought this. When they are newborns their diapers don't stink as bad so it's not a big deal. But older baby poop has a much stronger smell. We started putting the duper genie in the garage because we didn't want our house to smell like poop. And the replacement liners are ridiculously expensive.

This product solves both problems. Since it is made of metal it holds the smell in. I have put some really gross smelling diapers in there and there is still no smell in the room. And this product using ordinary trash bags, which saves tons of money!

There is also a child lock on the top so your toddler can't open the pail.

Amazing product. So glad we bought it. Pays for itself over a diaper genie because of using ordinary trash bags.
3 people found this helpful
on September 29, 2017
So here’s the deal. The design and construction of this diaper pail are what sold me on the Ubbi. I really like that it’s made of metal and you can use regular trash bags. And for all intents and purposes, those two points should earn it 5 stars.
The caveat is this: it doesn’t keep the odor out. If the lid is down and the sliding deposit door is closed, then yes, no smell. But, slide the door open to drop in a diaper or open the lid to change out the bag, and what hits you will be raw. This might not seem like a big deal, but it is because every time I went to drop a diaper in, there was a harsh lingering odor hanging about after the pail was closed. It got so bad that the odor began to be noticeable even with everything locked down. And just to assuage any thoughts that maybe the pail was sitting for too long, I got in the habit of emptying it every few days, which didn’t change things.
I tried cleaning it with hot bleach water, followed by Lysol. That reduced the odor, but didn’t completely eliminate it. It was almost as if the smell was baked into the interior, which I never would’ve considered possible with metal and plastic.
Either way, I finally tossed the whole thing in the trash for pickup a few days ago, because again with everything closed tight I could smell it every time I walked by. It pained me, because it’s not inexpensive, but you can’t put a price on your home smelling free of poopy diapers.
We had a Playtex Diaper Genie that never gave off any odor, so that’s what we’re going back to. I suppose I was drawn in by the allure of metal construction and not needing special bags, and I really did want to like the Ubbi, but in the end my nose won out. By the way, there are other similar reviews that echo this issue, and I ignored them. Don’t make my mistake.
One person found this helpful
|33 comments|Report abuse
on December 7, 2015
I did a lot of research on diaper pails and eventually settled on the Ubbi. I regret the decision.
Things I like:
I still like the look of it and I like that I can use regular kitchen garbage bags.
I was pretty happy with it while my daughter but just nursing but since we've switched to solid food it's become more and more of a problem.
It really does not contain the smell well. It smells when closed and smells even worse when you have to open the lid.
Ubbi claims that stainless steel does not absorb odors and while that may be true, the plastic trim must do. Our diaper can now stinks even when empty and even when cleaned thoroughly. I'm considering throwing it away which is a shame for something so expensive. I can't wait until my daughter is potty trained and we can get rid of it.
7 people found this helpful