Lyft Vehicles Review HPC Enlightenment Now Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Three new members of the Echo family Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now TG18_gno

on October 3, 2014
It's an incredible router, and for an incredible price. You definitely need to understand advanced routing to configure this, so don't think that it's a turn key solution like a Linksys. I'm amazed at the quality for the price. It's just an incredible appliance. I'm going to keep adding Ubiquiti devices to my network and swap out my Cisco hardware. I use this at home, but it's more than capable of running a business. I love that I can even turn it into a load balancer. Stunning! It outperforms my ASA 5505, and I don't have to buy licenses for it.

Pros:
- Incredibly fast
- Incredibly reliable - haven't had to restart it since initial configuration
- Small, quiet
- The Graphical User Interface (GUI) is very friendly and easy to use
- One price for all the features

Cons:
- Doesn't have an Intrusion Prevention/Detection plugin (to be fair, it's a router. But if they're not going to put a module into the router, they should at least sell one separately, which they don't).
- Some of the GUI tools like traffic monitoring can stop working, but that's just a software version issue that they'll probably fix. The CLI works fine.
- If you're not good at enterprise-level networking, you're in over your head (but that's not really a con)
on January 20, 2015
I have to say I love this unit about as much as I loved my Edgerouter lite that I sold to a friend. The interface is a good overview interface, the unit is fast. I do mean fast, it's processing power is fantastic as well. There's only one caveat to setting it up. When you get the unit new it doesn't have the newest firmware on it and original firmware does NOT have any initial setup templates. If you aren't very comfortable with the command line I highly recommend updating the firmware before you begin any configuration. But that isn't the reason why I gave it 4 stars. This doesn't come with a 48v PSU and cannot run your unifi AP AC version or any other standard 48v. Ubiquiti doesn't have a recommended PSU. there's a couple aftermarket units out there that'll work but for the cost of the unit I really believe it should have come with one seeing as it's plastered over their website. All in all it's great for a poweruser at home or a small business but if you're going to buy it for POE remember you'll need a different PSU.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on March 2, 2015
I have two ERLite-3 already and thought I'd give this one a try as I need some POE for my other Ubiquiti products. This is even better then the ERLite-3. The POE is a must have if you have any other Ubiquiti products. Cleans up the mess that the power bricks create. The extra ports and the ability to turn eth2 eth3 and eth4 into a switch is handy.

EdgeOS is coming along great, the GUI is very useable now and they are still actively moving CLI only feature into the realm of the user friendly. This is a very powerful router. If you can dream it up, there is probably a way to make it work on here.

Very close to plug and play, and not as intimidating as it once was.
on November 30, 2015
Hi, I'm Dave and I'm a WiFi-aholic.

The recent addition of 10 Nest Protect Fire Alarms, pushed my Apple Airport Extreme to its breaking point. While the multiple computers, iPhones, iPads, Apple TVs, multiple Sonos players and the new Protects continued to work fine, Netflix streaming was no longer possible. I now had over 50 devices connected to my network and this was more than the Airport Extreme, or any other retail grade router available on the market today, could handle.

The Ubiquiti router took my network to the next level. I ordered it on Amazon and it was delivered the next day. The GUI interface included a Small Office / Home Office (SOHO) Wizard, that made it easy to establish a simple configuration (port configuration, DHCP, NAT, and basic firewall rules). While more advanced configuration (e.g., port forwarding, IPv6, UPnP, L2TP, etc) requires some networking/programing background/knowledge, the community forums on www.ubnt.com are very active and an excellent source of information and support. I've found the Ubiquiti router to be very reliable, feature rich and flexible. Great value for the money!
on June 12, 2015
I have spent a small fortune on consumer routers, Cisco "linksys", Netgear, even the latest Netgear nighthawk wifi (R8000). None worked and always had issues with the 25-30 devices (Mostly wired, about 10 wifi cell phones/laptops etc) I finally heard about ubiquity because of an RF microwave project I worked on. Purchased this router as a last ditch effort to finally get good bandwidth from my century link FTTH fiber connection (100Mb down / 50Mb up). I used the wizard to setup a single wan with 3 Lan connection using firewall/DHCP/NAT. Worked so amazing I was floored. To think 179 bucks and it works flawlessly. I then turned the R8000 into an access point for wifi and I think the R8000 is great as an access point but sucks as a router.

I also have a work phone and separate internet through cox (150Mb Down / 20Mb up). I found out I could use load balancing and combine the 2 into one. I now have a 250Mb down and 70Mb up consistent connection. Files, VoIP, gaming, online video everything is flawless. We even had Netflix, Hulu, a game of call of duty, and I was downloading a 95GB file from work and never not once did anything degrade. All streams maintained HD no lag on COD and file still transferred in a respectable time.

Can't say enough about how impressed I am with ubiquity. Next step is getting a couple of their access points that can be ceiling mounted and run over POE which this router supports. Also FYI this router is rated at 1Million packets per second!

In the attached photo the blue cables are wired to 3 TP-LINK 8 port GIGE switches.
on January 14, 2017
I love this router! I bought one of these and a UniFi AP to replace my Asus router at home. This is definitely a "prosumer" device. Even if you have a lot of technical experience with things like configuring firewall rules, DHCP servers, VPN servers, and general network theory, be prepared to spend time doing online research to use this to its full potential. That said, these are very popular and there is a ton of stuff out there to help you.
I have a decent size home lab, with multiple servers, network switches and storage devices, so this was perfect for me.
on December 14, 2013
While this is overkill for many homes, in these days of everything having a network connection, it's probably not overkill for many homes. I paired this with a 3 pack of the Ubiquiti wifi units to replace my home wifi router which was needing to be rebooted at least once a week just as the ones before it needed. I gave up on the consumer grade units and went pro.

While this was not as easy to configure as a residential unit and did take some research, there was a great community of people available online to help and the basic wizard gets you online with a standard home configuration quite quickly. I'd recommend these to anybody willing to put the work into having a solid home network.
11 comment| 21 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on July 28, 2014
Excellent router. Extremely flexible setup compared to any other consumer priced router. Does everything that I needed it to do and more. This is probably as future proof a router as you can get at this price point. The one caveat is that this is NOT a router for your average consumer or even a tech savvy one. You almost need to be professional network engineer to set it up and anyone with a crippling fear of the command line should stay away since most of the advanced features require it. However if you're comfortable with command line there are plenty of guides online to help with the setup.

Bottom line, if you can identify yourself as a computer geek this is the router for you.

P.S. My favorite feature is the ability to setup the entire by editing and loading a simple text file.
on April 20, 2017
Initial setup was easy. Load balanced between Fios and Cable appeared to be a simple setup but further inspection reveals that if the failover interface is enabled 90% packet loss occurs.

If you want to use it for a VPN to route all or some machines traffic over a VPN, on a 150/150 connection the router achieves at most 4mbit throughput.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on June 14, 2014
TWC surprised me for the first time in 11 years since I have service from them and gave my solid bump in speed for the same price - I went from 30/5 to 200/10Mbit. Since my old venerable ASA5505 has 100Mbit ports only (and it is really not a router but rather security appliance with some routing), it was time to start looking for something faster.

I did some research online and looked at Cisco, Fortinet, Sonicwall, Watchguard and some consumer grade devices that are compatible with DD-WRT (like Netgear Nighthawk 1900ac). I even purchased the Nighthawk and returned it next day.

Then I discovered Ubiquiti EdgeRouter which turned out to be a an overrated big disappointment with the current version of OS, especially its web based configurator. I must say that I own and use both UniFi and ToughSwitch that I am extremely happy with.

Got both EdgeRouter ERPOE-5 and EdgeRouter Lite based on positive reviews here on Amazon. It was easy to do the basic setup, and couple wizards to walk you through some basic configuration like dual WAN setup.

It appears that most of the owners of EdgeRouter that are so excited with this product are folks coming from unreliable home-grade devices. It is cheap, stable, relatively powerful in terms of routing power.

But that's all about it.

The GUI is awfully limited to very basic functions. You'll have to use CLI to accomplish more complex config, and good luck if you believe (or rely) on the Web to get your answers. There is not too much info or configuration examples/manuals/guides for EdgeRouter.

My previous device was Cisco ASA5505 SEC+ (purchased it new at fleabay for twice the amount ERPOE-5 cost) but it is simply in different category. I would say that EdgeRouter at this moment (with current firmware) is a definite step above home grade devices but it is simply not comparable to Cisco or Sonicwall, both in terms of GUI and as OS.

Good news is that the GUI is work in progress and it is getting better. But it is years behind ASDM or even Sonicwall. Or ZyXELL.

There is not much one can do via web interface so for some advanced routing or FW you'll definitely need CLI. It is not a problem, the problem is that because the EdgeOS is relatively new, only a small group of users use it. And this limit your options to get a support when you need it.

After struggling for couple days (that includes my attempts to implement the same configuration I had on my ASA5505 that was relatively complex with many FW rules (a real pain in the a$$ to implement in EdgeOS), filtering, some routing, VPN, VLANs etc. etc I just decided that this device and EdgeOS, especially its GUI is simply not mature enough for me. Both ASA5505 and SonicWALL NSA 220 I own use objects to define various elements.

I've decided to return EdgeRouter and got ZyXELL ZyWALL 110 instead which I am currently testing. It is not Cisco or Sonicwall, but it is not much more expensive than EdgeRouter, it is much easier to setup and manage. And it has decent GUI in addition to CLI.

I am definitely going to follow EdgeRouter evolution in a year or two to see how it goes. I hope by then they'll catch up with all modern standards, including router's GUI management utility.

...

P.S. Few words about EdgeRouter Lite. It is small brother of ERPOE-5, uses the same CPU, memory and OS. Unlike ERPOE-5, the case is plastic and gets hot, especially on the bottom where the heatsink plate blocks ventilation openings, and power supply is cheaply made. It also has less ports that are not PoE. It is probably good device if you're making your first step from home grade device and willing to learn.

...

Good luck!
55 comments| 18 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.