Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now PSFF17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 96 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 103 reviews
on February 28, 2014
This device was easy to setup and has great visibility into the traffic that is flowing on the network. It has easy to read counters and charts. The device makes no noise and does not put off much heat. It is slightly warm, but nowhere near hot inside of my house. This replaced a Cisco 3750G switch that would heat up quickly and was loud.

I have used the POE with a couple of devices and it is simple to setup as you click a checkbox and indicate the voltage that you need sent to the device. The device itself has substantial weight to it because of the POE components needed to use POE are included in the device. Because there are no fans the whole unit acts as a heat sink.

The only drawback is that there is only 8 ports. I use this device off of my firewall so I also have to use one of the ports as a uplink. This is not a router so almost any setup will require dedicating one port as the uplink so you realistically only have 7 usable ports. For a small home network that is typically more than enough. That was my only small hangup is that I wish there were more ports or at least a model that offered the POE and no fan option. (Example a 16 port model.)

- Damon1974
on February 25, 2014
We use a lot of these and usually drop them in dry-boxes. We are often using unusual power sources, working in cold or very hot conditions. They are a little weird and make some interesting design decisions, but ultimately the product has been rock-solid in extreme conditions.

We had 5 of our units in dryboxes, but subject to a flooding situation where they were completely submerged. We did give them ample time to dry out. Just this week I powered them up and tested them and they are working just fine. The only challenge is getting the dirt and grass out of the ports.

I am using the POE for my home network and love the fact I can configure it based on which port. I still don't know everything these switches can do, but everything they've done so far has far exceeded anything that I have worked with in the last 20 years when it comes to standing up to extreme weather and unusual environments.
on April 27, 2013
VLAN management is a snap! 48v and 24v PoE supported and can be changed port by port! The interface is stupid simple, makes n00bs look like seasoned geeks! The only two reasons for 4 stars: 1. No port trunking (assigning two ports to act as one to support devices with multiple NICs in high availability configuration) 2. Price is high for an 8 port switch.
55 comments| 17 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 21, 2014
This device did wonders for my network. I started with a Ubiquiti AP and loved it so much i decided to begin replacing other consumer grade products in my home network. My family is the size of some small businesses, so as the devices begin to multiply I have found that the combo consumer devices just do not do the trick. My kids were constantly complaining about speed and game console network behaviors. Ultimately the issues escalated to my wife. All I have to say is Happy Wife, Happy Life. I have had several switches on a consumer grade level, but I have always had some sort of significant performance variance. Checking any of the various network speed sites, I would find that my performance varied as much as 30% at various times of day and with varying weather conditions. As soon as I installed this switch, I noticed that network hungry functions such as video streaming just performed better. Even the interface to popular video streaming sites just popped quicker. The device is sturdy and has ample configuration possibilities. With this device in place, I have, over the last 20 or so checks had less than a 1% variance in my reported network speed. I will be investing in Ubiquiti to take over the router function in my network as well.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 8, 2016
I have no idea why I paid so much for a POE switch. But i wanted to be sure I had no problems with my Unifi installation. It powered the 3 AP's with out a problem. Its also built very solidly.
on April 30, 2014
I bought this to implement PoE IP security camera infrastructure for my home. I was thinking about using PoE injectors with my current wireless router, but injecors are pretty expensive for what they do. If you spend a little more, you could combine your switching and PoE equipment in to one neat package.

I want to point out that even though the manufacturer says it only supports "passive" PoE at either 24 or 48 volts, my device is 802.11af (48v) and it's working just fine.

Future plans: a better router, like the Ubiquiti EdgeRouter, and a nice access point.

Pros: Cheap - I honestly couldn't find the same feature-set for less money.
Instrumentation and monitoring
VLAN tagging capability
8 Port PoE - 24v and 48v
Runs Linux

Cons: There was a loose screw rattling around in mine, but it doesn't appear to affect functionality.

Bottom Line: If you're looking at installing PoE infrastructure, this is a solid product and a smart buy.
on March 22, 2016
It works really well, software is pretty easy to use. One of the capacitors makes a squeal noise. I contacted their customer service, they were slightly less then perfect. They essentially said the noise it makes will not impact its performance. They did end up giving me the option to exchange it but was hesitant. I love Ubiquiti. They really do have solid built devices and are reasonably priced.
on May 25, 2016
System worked great for a month then suddenly died. Contacted Ubiquiti by email to do an return over a week ago have not heard from them as of yet. If system was still up and running I give it 4 to 5 stars.
on January 12, 2016
If you're using multiple Ubiquiti POE products -- get this!! It's definitely worth it! This is a managed POE switch with great functionality. Can you find something cheaper with more features? If so, let me know...
on March 31, 2014
Works well with my Ubiquiti access points. I haven't tried it with other devices; I'm honestly not sure if it supports standard PoE at all. The management UI is pretty good, better than most cheap switches that I've used (Dell, HP/3com), but not as nice as most of the higher-end CLIs. The only issue that I've seen is with SNMP--I can't get it to turn on on the switch for some reason. It's not a big deal for my use, though.