Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: ANNO 2070 [Download]
Amazon Vehicles GoldBox Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Britney Spears Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Shop Now

on January 17, 2012
From what little I actually was able to play, the game itself was enjoyable, but I cannot give a favorable review to a product which I could not use. Due to computer hardware problems/upgrades, I changed my 'configuration' four times in a very short time window. Each time I had to 're-register' and finally the company refused access. Their support was not helpful. It is a fun futuristic-Civilization-like game, but the DRM scheme punishes the player. Additionally you need Internet access to play; doesn't work offline.

I'm afraid I will not spend anymore money on products from this company; I feel very ripped off. I did not purchase from Amazon, so I cannot comment on how their own customer service would handle my circumstances. Writing this just to warn other people away.

Do not buy this game if you are planning on upgrading your computer or trying out different video cards in the near future.

Update: According to a link in my comments the company has removed the graphics/video card from their DRM hardware hashtable, meaning you can swap out video cards now. Apparently they have had such a backlash (my case is apparently not unique) that customer service is allowing additional activations to combat the bad publicity on a call-in basis. (Wish that happened when they were rude to me earlier.) Three item limit remains for other hardware. Personally, I already deleted the game from my system before writing this review, so it's too late for me. My experience has been frustrating and stressful. While ANNO 2070 might deserve another chance, I do not feel like devoting more of my precious leisure time to Ubisoft products. Slightly regretful I'm missing out on a good game, but one star stands because Ubisoft failed.
1717 comments| 192 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 17, 2012
I was horrified to learn that the DRM on this game is now set up to prevent more than 3 hardware upgrades on your computer. Go over that limit, and it's Game Over for you, and Ubisoft has no intentions of helping fix the issue.

This is the last Ubisoft game I purchase. Considering that I've switched through 3 graphic cards in the last 2 years, such a ridiculous DRM implementation does nothing more than to annoy their paying customers. And then they wonder why piracy is so rampant.

I know that some folks will comment about this not being "relevant" or a reflection of the game, but when it comes to game publishers pulling such cheap tricks on their customers, they deserve no forgiveness or mercy.

Besides, I think everyone should know that this game will not work on their PC after 3 hardware changes, so they should probably think twice before spending their money on this game.

Source: [...]
1010 comments| 143 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 17, 2012
This game is limited to 3 hardware changes ONLY. After that, you can no longer play it. So if you're
like me and had a video card go bad, and then upgraded it, then added a sound card.. You're basically
screwed forever. This isn't fair and isn't reasonable: DO NOT BUY.
0Comment| 109 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 31, 2012
Well, this is in awesome city-builder for fans of games that require you to juggle tons of resources, like Caesar III and the like. Unfortunately, the game is unusable without internet and is very limited in the number of activations you get. Having a frequently upgraded gaming PC and a laptop results in lots of changes. Having to call up support is annoying, and is a stop-gap solution to a problem that shouldn't exist in the first place. I am seriously considering grabbing a pirated copy even though I own the game just so I don't have to put up with Ubisoft's ignorant attempts at defeating piracy.
on January 18, 2012
So after buying this game I installed it on both of my computers, my Desktop and my Laptop. Then I had to switch out my graphics card thanks to a blown cap, and had to put in an older card lying around instead, until I bought a new one.

I get my new card, put it in, and then try to play this game. Apparently, I USED UP MY 3 ACTIVATIONS FOR THIS GAME EVEN THOUGH I ONLY USED IT ON TWO COMPUTERS.

This means that if I wanted to continue playing this game, I'd have to put in the old card I was using temporarily, that won't even run a lot of other games I play.

Thanks Ubisoft, You're idiotic policy, just lost you a customer because I will never be buying any of your products ever again! Hope it was worth it.
on January 18, 2012
I've had problems with Ubisoft and their DRM in the past and this game is no exception. If you purchase this game, expect problems - lots of them. The DRM has a tendency to harm other things in Windows and only lets you change hardware 3 times. I am not a criminal, but the game thinks I am...

I am happy to say Ubisoft will never get another penny from me again.
on January 17, 2012
Do not by this it have the worst drm in the world you get three computers to use it on... but, but if you change the hardware then that counts an a new computer. So to them a new video card is == to a new computer.
on May 25, 2012
Because my son begged for Anno 2070 so much, I purchased it on DVD even though I had read the negative reviews. After one day of playing, he wasn't able to log on any longer. After sending numerous emails asking for help, Ubisoft merely sent links that "might" help and also said that they were unable to send user names/passwords via email because of security measures. Having to call them long distance in England is absolutely ridiculous after just spending $50 for this game. Never again! Ubisoft's customer service leaves a lot to be desired!
on January 21, 2012
This is the first Ubisoft PC game I've picked up in a long time and I wish I read Amazon's customer reviews before I purchased. This 1 star review is similar to the others, boiling down to draconian DRM.

It's been talked about and debated before, only I would have expected this from a publisher like EA, not Ubisoft:
1) 3-time activation limit. Minor hardware changes count toward this limit (also major software changes like OS upgrade). They've only recently (supposedly) removed changing out a graphics card as counting toward the limit.
2) Must create a Uplay account. I'm sick of having to create accounts and log into them in order to play single-player titles.
3) Support is either very difficult to find or non-existent. Since I know I'm going to reach my hardware limit within the next 6 months due to upgrades, I wanted to have the contact for more activations available... after looking for 15 minutes, I couldn't find any information on this.

I'm done with this company.
on March 31, 2012
So I was watching, playing the demo, and someone else's copy. I honestly fell in love with this game and ready to drop my money on it, and this is coming from a guy who doesn't like to spend much money on games. The thing that stop me is the amount of bugs that I've been through, campaign trigger bugs and what not. Sure, I'll probably need to get full version and update to get it working. What really stop me is the DRM reviews online. I honestly don't feel like I would have a real ownership of the game. Ubisoft, DRM doesn't stop piracy, it stop customers to purchase your game. I honestly want to play with people online. But now, forget it. I thought only EA blew it, but I guess you too. Thanks Ubisoft, unless you change your policy, I'll never drop a bug on DRM games ever.

See 1 answered question