Salon Beauty Summer Reading Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc The Carters Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now SWMTVT18_gno

on December 24, 2012
To start, I am a big fan of the AC (Assassin's Creed) series. I have loved everything about the games through AC 1 through Revelations. However, this one did drop down on my list as great after I played it. It wasn't that the creators weren't creative and great in the making of the game. The most disappointing things, to me, were the eagle vision change and the combat system change.
The eagle vision change was that it became so dark that if you were standing in the forest and you had your horse next to you, you couldn't see it. It was pitch black. You could see some things sure, that were colored a certain color by your eagle vision, and maybe if the game allowed you to see, but beyond that, not much. It was annoying.
Also, the combat system change was that you could counter, probably easier than you could before, but you could only counter when an icon came up. I enjoyed it better when you could use your eyes to just watch for an attack, like AC 1 or 2. Seriously, I would sometimes just have eagle vision running and see my enemies in red and watch who would attack next and counter then chain. With this new system of attacking you can only counter when the icon comes up, which isn't always when someone's attacking, which proves to be a pain because you can't get out of the way fast enough so you take a hit.
I honestly wouldn't mind the "no magic potions" policy if the combat system was good enough so I could take out enemies as easy as I could in the past games.
Also, the combat system doesn't react like it did in the past. In the past, enemies would usually die after a certain amount of hits, not in this game. Thus, the game loses some realism from that. It annoyed me also. You'd literally have to go all the way through the combo or counter or chain of a kill in order to kill someone. To anyone who's played and is reading this, you've probably experienced this annoyance at one point or another.
You'll probably be most annoyed with this when you've died a couple of times because the ease of killing isn't as simple as in the past games.
Also, whilst you gain a bow and arrow, and can do a huge amount of stuff, your back to a similar weapon set in AC Brotherhood, without the ease of killing enemies as quickly and easily. For anyone who's played AC Brotherhood you should know I considered Brotherhood a lot better than this game.
The way Connor is in the game really hasn't excited me near as much as the scenes outside the game. Sorry Connor, but the game doesn't show you off well, thus you take a back-seat to Altair and Ezio.
I am amazed at Altair and Ezio, but I'm afraid, thanks to in-game play, I can't put Connor in the same category as those two. Sure, Connor is a great fighter and person, but I just imagine Ezio or Altair fighting in this time, with their combat system, slashing through enemies in half the time or less and being able to control and aid the people in a way that would cut the work time that Connor does in half or less. If Connor was as good in-game, at least to me, as he was outside the game I would equivelate him to Ezio and Altair, but the game really doesn't cut it with Connor.
In full honesty, I do find the real Connor, who is best shown by his scenes outside the game, as a Master Assassin along with Ezio and Altair.
Moving on, you don't have your quickness with firing off bullets anymore, due to the "new and improved" muskets and hand-guns. Also, the newer bombs from AC Revelations are gone. The only real upside to me, in weapons, was the hook-blade, which is an awesome thing to have. The bow, really, just takes the place of the crossbow, to me. Honestly, though, I think I like the crossbow more.
Moving on to the positives now, the game is awesome on the storyline side. The storyline was very creative and well done. I can actually understand why some things are different and why the story doesn't accommodate some weapons and gaining of money like before. Both Desmond's Story and the main Animus story are awesome. I was very impressed with Desmond's story. Although, the combat system is the same for Desmond's Story, so no go for easier kills in the real world either. Remembering something from the beginning of the game, I thought Connor was supposed to help Desmond out with his skills. Besides climbing, I think the fighting methodology, from in-game, really doesn't help Desmond at all. He should've stuck with the fighting skills of Ezio and Altair, those two should cover it.
The naval battles of this game are awesome also. These things are, sadly, some of the only things that probably gave me a rush playing this game. I didn't really gain much rush at many points throughout the game besides the naval battles. Possibly the experience from dying a couple times in a row due to a poor combat system might have set me on the major negative for this game.
Anyways, the naval battles are definitely great to play through. Although, I don't know if you can play them through again once you finish they are awesome missions. Being able to gun down enemy ships and such is always awesome, at least to me. The experience of being able to maneuver your ship through the sea is a great feeling.
The only thing that can be a bit annoying is gaining money. Whilst I'll admit I enjoy hunting, gaining money specifically from crafting and such can be very annoying as you can't just go over and buy a weapon, a naval thing, etc. Whilst I'll admit this adds to the realism, this may get annoying for you along the way. You're probably going to wonder how long it is going to take to save up for this one item that's 10,000+. I would probably tell you "a while."
Anyways, this is still a good game. However, you might find the past games more exciting.
I give this four stars due to the combat system, eagle vision, and other negatives you can find throughout the game. I'm not going to cut it down further than that as this does not qualify to be an average game. The AC series has never been that.
However, I am more looking forward to a better game next time around in the next new AC game.
Alright, thanks for reading, hope this tells you a bit about the game.
on March 15, 2016
Ever since I heard about the AC franchise, I've been interested. Games that revolve around story and character are my thing, so AC's beautiful mesh between history and fantasy was an instant draw. There was however the maturity rating to look at, and I didn't have an Xbox or ps. For a long time I totally ignored the game. One day I happened to watch an AC walk through episode. I knew that somehow I HAD to get a game. I did.
The first thing I'll say is that this game is extremely gory, an I was glad for the ability to turn said gore OFF. In today's world, it's hard to find games with such an option. Unfortunately, there are a few moments where the cursing elevates and the sexuality rises, and I can't turn that off. In any case I'm glad that the creators allowed some self-censorship. No one should have to watch a good game go by because the content is against their standards, and no one who likes the things that contradict with these standards should suffer for it either. The ability to control gore was a great compromise, and maybe there could be a way to blank out particularly offending curse words and sexual scenes. Yes, I know I'm giving suggestions a little (a lot) late, but it's something to consider.
The story was so... So... SO immersive. I love stories of the Revolutionary War, and meeting historical figures such as a certain Benjamin Franklin in the eyes of a fictional character was astonishing. My family was around during my first playthrough, and they can testify that I had a heartattack at every little historical reference. Playing Haytham was very fun to be contrary to some of the comments I've heard; I was actually kind of sad to find out I wouldn't the entire game. Connor though was equally amusing. I thought his background was awesome and his journey to heroism even better, especially because I got to join him. The only thing I disliked about Conner was the VERY annoying Native American voice overs. I don't know if the language was authentic or not, but it sure sounded choppy and downright irritating. Other than that the main characters were well rounded and captivating.
Here comes the bad news: I bought the game for PC. And the controls suck. It's very, very difficult to do anything stealthily, and this led to many, many frustrated sessions of trying to beat one bloody level in the first few sequences. Add the fact that the PC game does have a few glitches (Haytam refuses to hide in the tall grass sometimes, instead deciding assassinating people right in front of the enemy was the best choice.) and you have a fuming, hysterical girl who forgoes full synchronization and just wants to beat the dang level. It's possible I'm just bad at the game, but seeing as I have a history of figuring out controls and techniques pretty quickly, I don't think that's the case.
All in all AC3 was a really fun, cool game, and I definitely plan on getting my hands on some of the newer ones (Syndicate anyone?). I do recommend that if at all possible you buy an Xbox to play it on or a PC compatible control because the PC controls were mindtearing and there were a few glitches.
|11 comment|Report abuse
on February 19, 2013
I felt that the Assassin's Creed series was lacking in the last two releases but this game has brought me back to the place I was at in AC 2, pure awe. The combat is the first thing I would like to applaud, they really slimmed it down and took the Rocksteady approach making combat a joy to play and watch. The flowing battles feel natural and the weapons are fun to use in combination. Pick up a dropped gun and fire a bullet before using the bayonet to stab the next opponent and with the easy to use combat system just keep targeting opponents in range to keep the combos going. Horses are finally back. I thought horses were the greatest thing in AC 2 and was surprised to find them missing from the next two sequels. Well they are back and so is exploration. I love the open world feel and with the lack of those ridiculous economy systems of the last two games you can go back to enjoying the story once again. I think this is my new favorite of the series and with the amazing sea battles, outdoor hunting, and new slimmed down control systems it is easy to see why. I would put this in my top 5 of 2012. Don't pass this one up.
|22 comments|Report abuse
on March 24, 2015
My first entry into the Assassin's Creed Series. I picked it because of the Historical time period. I read the posted reviews before purchasing and obviously many of them were written by "hard core" gamers, which I am not. I enjoy single player only and have had bad experiences on line attempting multiplayer games. There are certain parts of AC3 that are a little tedious, but that happens with all games. But, with the shear enjoyment of searching vast worlds and getting absorbed with the story, I am thoroughly impressed. There are multi side missions that you can get involved in for hours. One major issue that came about, was with the cloud save. I was about half way through the game when my save games would not sync with cloud and everything was lost. I had no choice but to start over. The scenes at the beginning are long and you can't skip them. After several re-starts I checked on-line for a solution. If you don't need the cloud for multiple computers, go to the gear icon in the start up and disable it. if you are on a single computer no problem. Fingers crossed, at this point games are saved. The hunting scenes are great as well as the ship and land battle fights. Don't over analyze it, just play it and have fun. "Fight on Connor"
on October 3, 2015
Great game with an interesting take on historical events during the American Revolution.... pretty much what I expected from Ubisoft and those involved in making the game. Great game, but there is an undertone which anyone who is a study of the time period.... well, lets just say the creators and developers are jaded regarding the founding fathers. I would love to see what Ubisoft would do making a game about the French Revolution... lets see if they get that one right regarding how that all worked out... or better said, lets see who still had their head attached.
on April 3, 2013
Great for any revolutionary history buff and those learning about it along with exploring another of Desmond's ancestors. There are a ton of side things to do besides the main narrative the same as ACII. I like the changes to the combat system and additional skills. The graphics and animation are improved as to be expected as technology advances. It overall feels more organic and alive though I will admit that certain elements feel rushed or added as an afterthought. It doesn't have the finished feel of ACII. But I am also willing to accept that it could be as much the fact that as the AC story comes closer to modern times, the history feels less exotic. It's hard to compare the American revolution to the birth of the Rennaisance and feel the same emotional pull.

Understand that elements of the revolution are not played out exactly as they happened due to it being a game and the need to incorporate Connor somehow. Same as with ACII but like the previous game there is a journal built in where you can read accurate biographical information about the historical places and characters in question.

That being said, I never found Connor Kenway any less dynamic than Ezio or Altair. He is certainly his own personality so don't expect him to be either of them in different robes. He is the first Native American to get a title role that represents one of the many North American cultures so honestly and free of stereotypes and romanticisms. This was done with the help of a hired team of Native consultants from the same culture that Connor represents. This also included Native voice actors and whole cut scenes entirely in one of the Mohawk dialects with subtitles. It also properly addresses an overlooked facet of North American culture that many tribes or bands were matrilineal and looked to elder women as their leaders.

ACIII upholds the Ubisoft standard of being not only entertainment but a vehicle to cultural and historical appreciation for those interested in pursuing the "real story" outside the game.
on July 26, 2013
I am an enormous fan of Assassin's Creed. While the graphics and game play is wonderfully advanced compared to previous games, I was disappointed in the game itself. It simply did not have the same atmosphere seen in the AC franchise, and I wasn't very impressed with the writing, the story, and the character development (what little there was). I just felt that with such great material to work with, much more could've been done to make the game as a whole better.
On a side note, all of the AC installments have had a slight lag for PC, but this installment has been by far the most slow on my computer to the point where it's just not that fun. Hopefully sometime soon Ubisoft will fix this? Because it's not just me...
Overall, I was expecting better.
on March 7, 2013
Another great game! Didn't like the ending, but it may leave room for another story. Excellent graphics, a TON of things to do, hard in places to the point of frustration, but great game. There are still several historical events not covered by the games such as the spanish-american war, War of 1812, civil war, The Alamo etc. So there is plenty of story left for more games which I hope they do. Assassins Creed IV is due out later this year which covers Pirates and you get to navigate a ship. Dont know if I'm too excited about that, but who knows.

CONS: Language as always for me. I can do without it. Chase sequences I hate since they take me like 30 tries to get them right.

RECOMENDATION: Get the official strategy guide, it is a HUGE help in this franchise.
on July 30, 2013
The game was going along fine in the beginning, a bit confusing, but nothing that couldn't be solved with some patience. Then came Mission 5, "The Hard Way". Could not interact with the overseer. I pressed 'E' several dozen times and the game would just go to the Naval map. On occasion a message would come up on the Naval map asking if I would like to start the Mission. I'd click on "confirm" and it would just stay on the map. Click 'E' again and back to the overseer who I still could not interact with. Any suggestions would be appreciated. One comment by another reviewer is correct, this game was not designed for the PC.
on May 17, 2016
Love AC and played all of them until this game. This game made me quit. Boring beginning and once you get into the real story the game crashed and wouldn't let me restart the saved game. So I had to start again from the beginning and the thought of redoing the beginning made me quit
|0Comment|Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.