Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Ukulele Chord Dictionary: Handy Guide (Alfred Handy Guide)
Amazon Vehicles Back to School Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Chris Staples Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now STEM

Format: Paperback|Change

on October 13, 2011
I searched high and low for a ukulele chord reference that was both complete and portable. Ukulele Chord Dictionary contains a complete key reference and hundreds of chords including all of the most important movable chords. On the back there is a fretbroad map covering the first twelve frets, more than enough for any soprano, concert, or tenor ukulele beginner. Old pros will not find any unusual or obscure chords here (or at least not many) but for someone just starting out or still working on memorizing the fretboard this is the perfect reference to have sitting in your gig bag ready to use.
on July 11, 2013
OK product, I guess, but some of the concepts are explained insufficiently or are confusing, for example, some "movable chord" diagrams call for bar on frets yet show a four-finger configuration in which none of the frets would be barred (e.g., pg. 29).

Also, the font used on pgs. 46-47 ("Magic Chord Accompaniment Guide") is rather small to be read easily by indirect lamp light. Even in daylight, the # and b marks are just too small/compressed to be entirely legible.

Too bad there are no handy charts to show the most-used chords in higher octaves, e.g., different places/ways on the fretboard to play F major (other than the standard, top-of-the-neck configuration, and other than deciphering the movable-chord charts). For those higher-octave variations, I much prefer using the excellent "Ukulele Fretboard" app on my phone, though I'd rather have a booklet showing the same thing.

Also, there's too much extraneous info for a "Ukulele Chord Dictionary." A whole page on "how to hold the ukulele," and another uselessly showing all the names of the ukulele parts. And why include several pages on standard music-reading notation (lines: e-g-b-d-f; spaces: f-a-c-e; depictions of whole notes, half-notes, quarter-notes, etc.) when the stated purpose of the booklet is chords, and the guide includes no standard sheet music? Nor anything about tablature.
on September 17, 2011
I received this book along with my first (used) ukulele. It fit nicely in the soprano case, and now four years I still bring it along with any of my three ukuleles. Learning to play would have been far less pleasurable without this guide. I include a copy with any ukuleles I gift to friends.
on September 16, 2010
There is more useful material in this little booklet than almost anything else published. The Magic Chord Accompaniment Guide in the back of the book alone is worth the price of the book.
on April 18, 2013
Many books come with a free chord dictionary that probably has the same information as this book. What sets this book apart is the way the book is organized in an easy to find way- all of the chords are separated by note instead of by what key you are playing in. This makes this book an easy quick reference book. The book also has the notes of the fretboard nicely labeled and easy to see on the back cover. After switching around different instruments, I use this book to review the fretboard and different chords. I have also used this book for converting songs to ukulele tabs. I love the organization of this book and how quick and easy it is to use to where for those rare times I need a chord that is not listed, I use the internet and write it in the book.
on January 11, 2014
Many of the reviews here are focused on how valuable this book is to a completely new student of the ukuleke. These reviews are completely warranted. The book starts assuming you know nothing about a ukulele at all and shows you how to do everything from how to hold it to how to read a chord fingering chart. The "tons of chords sorted by root letter name" pages are also exactly as described. Each page has darned near all of the chord variations you're going to see for that named chord key and the type IS as large as some have complained. (Clearly those folks who complain have never shared fingering charts at a group strum. Even if your eyes are great, the person sitting next to you may need trifocals.) These charts will answer all fingering questions quickly and efficiently.

...but the usefulness of this book does not end with beginning players.

Intermediate players looking to move into accompaniment, soloing and jamming with others will also find a huge amount of usefulness in this book. The section on movable chords is like having a copy of the crib notes version of Fretboard Roadmaps (1423400410 with you. Additionally, there is an entire two-page chart on chord accompaniment in the back with cheat sheets on playing in each of the major and minor keys, along with related chords. And then there's ALSO a quick cheat sheet in the back for the "I know this, but it's slipping my mind" topics on major/minor keys and their signatures and the tonic structure of each chord type for those times when you can't remember if a Minor 7th has a flat 7th or not. (It does, unlike the Major 7th, along with the flat 3rd you would expect.)

Bottom line: if you own a uke you should own a copy of this book. It'll easily fit in your case or gig bag and be a reliable reference for you at all levels of play short of Hill-level or Shimabukuro-level mastery.
on April 15, 2013
The positive reviews of this are spot-on.
One tall page for each chord (ex: A) and 12 A chords (A, Am, A7, A9, A+, A-, A6, Am6, Amaj7, Am7, A7+5, A7-5)
And this is the pattern used to expand upon the chords of: Ab, B, Bb, D, Db, E, Eb, F, F#, G, Gb.
The movable chord section is great.
I don't totally understand THAT yet, but once mastered (maybe with Music Theory for Dummies?) it should help with
remembering all kinds of chords. I hope.
on September 15, 2013
I have chord charts in most of my uke song books (like the Jumpin' Jim's books), but I ocasionally come across strange chords in other music I find online or elsewhere. This book has the standard major and minor seventh and sixth chords that all my books contain (and they fit it all onto one page), but what do I do when I come across songs with 4s or 5s, or slash chords? I saw a guitar chord book once that showed lots of alternative fingerings, was the same size as this one, and it explained how to build any chord, with any augmented or diminished interval in it and I was hoping this book would similarly go into these details. It doesn't. Yes, it has "moveable chords," equivalent to barre chords, but this is one thing I can figure out myself pretty easily.

I do have good eyes, but I find the type and diagrams in this book excessively large, which thus necessitates a large book with less detail in it. I'd rather they made the chords a quarter the size, and included twice the number of chords, alternative fingerings and such, and I think it could easily fit into a smaller size for a uke case. I guess this is a cheap, beginner's guide, and you get what you pay for, but I am personally on the lookout for a much more comprehensive chord guide.
on March 8, 2014
I love being able to refer to this guide to help me find the right fingering for a particular chord. The second half illustrates the movable chords and has helped me make sense of them and is helping me to play up the fret board for the first time.
on August 6, 2014
I have referred to this many times learning the ukulele. It has all the basics and is handy to keep in the gig bag. Now, as I have progressed in playing the ukulele, I have found that internet resources are far and wide (many free) and I am now referring to them more than this dictionary. I am glad that I purchased the Ukulele Chord Dictionary. It did what I needed it to for the time that I needed it. The price was right for me.