Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Ultimate Physical Fitness in 5 Minutes: The Worlds Shortest, Most Intense Bodyweight Workouts Ever!
Amazon Vehicles Back to School Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Ingrid Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer conj2 conj2 conj2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Kiss Rocks Vegas Shop Now STEM

on May 12, 2012
Gruber's philosophy of "training as a lifestyle" was a paradigm shift to me. Rather than spending 30 minutes in the gym, I will do a few minutes several times a day. Two minutes before having a shower, one minute before lunch, three minutes ... you get the idea. This is TOTALLY different to committing 30 minutes to going to the gym. Living, working and training become one. It's much easier to follow when leading a busy lifestyle. I'm not stressed thinking "oh, I need to go to the gym today." I can workout out almost anywhere. No need for tools. My body is my tool.

(-) The subtitle is useless and misleading. Grube doesn't need a catchy subtitle: he holds 10 world records. 10!
(-) He needs dearly a proofreader and an editor.
(+) The following sentence that summarizes his philosophy very well: "You can bench 300lbs and not be in shape, but you can't do 100 straight push ups unless you are in shape."
(+) For a strong body and lean body, he advocates fast and short training. It makes sense. Compare the bodies of a long-distance runner vs. a sprinter. The former tend to look fragile while the later looks strong.
(+) I love this: if you eat natural (i.e. eat clean), it makes sense to train natural (i.e. only bodyweight exercises).
(+) The book is thin and can be read quickly. Nobody needs another 300 page book.
(-) He is against jogging/running, but forgets the "mental benefits." After 10 hours sitting at a computer, I love to go for a run of 30 minutes, listen to music and switch of my brain. Running can be very therapeutically.
(+) He doesn't ask his readers to do sit-ups. That's great. That means, that he understands the futility of sit-ups.
(+) Grube keeps it very simple. I strongly agree with him, that it's much easier to follow a simple plan continuously. Every day. All year round.
(+) Few people think of pushups as a fat loss exercise. We need to re-think pushups and incorporate it in our daily life.
(+) While there might be no "perfect exercise", the Burpee comes close. You can do it almost anywhere. I'll incorporate Burpee's in my daily life. One minute of Burpee's a few times a day gets you far.

Kudos to Johnny Grube
on November 3, 2012
"Ultimate Physical Fitness in 5 Minutes" is a useful rant. Johnny Grube has given us two sections in this book. The first is a presentation of his Epic Eight body weight exercises (pushups, burpees, prisoner squat thrusts, pullups / chinups, sprints / hill sprints, jumping rope, bear crawls, and step ups). This section, 35 pages, other than grammar and spelling errors, is well done. Grube presents 100 combinations of The Epic Eight with games, cards, and times thrown in for interest. For an individual with well conditioned tendons and joints these combinations make a good contribution to the body weight literature.

The second section is truly a rant. It is a long series of short essays. I suspect these are drawn from his own web page - <[...]> At first these are interesting and make good points as to the value of the Epic Eight exercises and the body weight approach to conditioning. But the reader soon senses an anger and resentment on the part of the author. Grube insults his reader repeatedly and unnecessarily, using the words such as drunk, stupid and lazy repeatedly. This 43 page long section rapidly become repetitive and redundant. Many of the points on body weight conditioning Grube makes are valid. A few I do not agree with.

I strongly disagree with Grube in his advocacy of "no pain, no gain." One can do the volume and intensity of exercise necessary, without bringing on the injuries and the painful joints that "no pain no gain" brings. I like Grube's advocacy of short workouts scattered throughout the day. One can increase the possible volume, at expense of the intensity, of exercise necessary for strength and mass with several short workouts throughout the day. I strongly agree with Grube that effective workouts can be done outside of the gym with minimal equipment and must less cost. Unless one develops friends to workout with, the major loss is the social aspect of going to the gym. But that social aspect of the gym does not seem to interest Grube. I like Grube's disavowal of supplements and other chemical additives. He bluntly states that in retrospect he did not gain from their use. Grube's expected basic level of fitness is rather high. Very few of us consider a 50 pushup set as a basic level of fitness.

Grube states he earns his living at manual labor. The work he does, may color his perception of "fitness," raising the bar in expectations. Most of us are computer jockeys or have other turtle posture or "C" posture jobs. We are not ready to jump into doing the Epic Eight by the tens or twenties. If your tendons and joints are already well conditioned, and you are ready for 2 or more workouts per day, and know how to use rest to improve your conditioning programs, then this book will add some imaginative combinations of body weight exercises and some arguments for strength and mass gain, and fat loss through body weight conditioning.
on March 12, 2012
This book has pretty much changed the way I look at fitness, It's been kicking my butt and I love every minute of it. I've been doing workouts out of it for my entire special forces battalion and we can't get enough of it. Johnny Grube has pretty much designed the best work-outs I have ever seen. I just made my entire section bear crawl for an entire mile today, never reliazed how under rated the bear crawl is...great core exercise.
on December 23, 2012
I'm no English professor, but proper grammar is a big deal to me. I give Mr. Grube credit for his work and his desire to keep his book as "authentic" as possible and going with no editor. But it just made a very difficult read for me at times. Especially to me being a Marine where "attention to detail" is stressed so highly. I understand that the focus of the book is to instruct you on how to get into better shape, but regardless of anything else, it is STILL a "book" and will be judged as such when evaluating the grammar.

There was a lot of filler material as well. Chapters where nearly the exact same thing had been previously said...just worded differently. Sometimes, even the wording didn't change.

As for the workouts, A+. Definitely some good, short but intense exercises that will DEFINITELY get you in tip top shape if you remain consistent. I think the most common downfall of people is that they want "immediate" results. It's not gonna happen.

So kudos to Mr. Grube on the workouts. But for the next book, he should really consider an editor to put out a better quality of material.
on April 17, 2012
The contents of this book will provide all the information and workouts you will need to get more fit than you ever thought possible unless you are a veteran of some exotic Special Operations unit. The content is straight forward and the variety of the workouts will prevent boredom and the infamous mythical plateauing.

One caveat, Johnny Grube needs a good proofreader and competent editor to clean up the errors and syntax in his writing. It is all readable but the errors grate on this writer's sensibilities.
on August 26, 2012
First off let me just say, I'm after the hard functional muscles. I thought this book would be good for me based on the reviews.

My problem with the book is that it reads like a rant. The author is VERY full of himself. Its his way or you're wrong. Some of what he has to say, from my perspective is insulting, which really makes me dislike this guy.

There is a section in the book where he talks about fat lazy Americans. He claims that these fat lazy Americans aren't men. He says they pour gallons of booz down their throats which also makes them drunk stupid Americans.

I bought the book because I'm out of shape. He has insulted me by saying "I'm not a man". I have a drink from time to time (much less now days). He has insulted me by saying I'm drunk and stupid.

Tips for Grube #1: Don't insult your customers if you wish to keep them as customers.
Tips for Grube #2: Target your material at your audience, not yourself. In other words, tailor it to the people who will be reading it, not to people who are like yourself.

There is also a serious lack of professionalism throughout the book. Poor editing throughout, bad spelling, grammar, punctuation. A lack of effort in editing makes me wonder how much effort/scientific research he puts into his "program".

Tips for Grube #3: Don't skimp on public appearance or people will easily be able to question your legitimacy. Finish the book before releasing it.

Thank you for reading my review! If you enjoyed it, be sure to rate it as helpful.
on September 12, 2012
This book, minus spaces, is less than 80 pages. How do short leaflets like this keep getting written--and sold? I guess the fact that this slim, uninspiring "you-can-find-it-free-on-the-internet" trash is self-published should tell you something.

I can tell you right now that most of the 5 star reviews here are from this "experts" friends and family. For a start, the book is appallingly badly written, from start to finish. I won't even get into the poor writing ability of the author: I would be astonished if he finished kindergarten, let alone high school, based on this garbage.

That would be okay if the content were great, but the author puts forward very basic, boring workouts. Intensity is a great thing, but I can tell you to do squats until you collapse and although that's intense it's not very enlightening or interesting to read about.

The book is crap. Avoid.
on September 12, 2012
This thin book goes to the heart of exercise. The main point is do something every day. Grube distilled the exercises to a few major important exercises and then gives us suggestions for various routines. A key point of this book is Grubes intense attitude toward exercise. Through trial and error he discovered that body weight exercises and simplicity and consistency are keys for results. Over all the writing is not that bad. There are obvious spelling errors that can be corrected in a new edition. His philosophy is repeated quite a lot and was a distraction. His wild man training web site should not be missed. YouTube videos by Grube are very helpful.
on January 13, 2013
I have to agree with Ziegler on this one. Fortunately was able to read it via our local regional oibrary network system first! Not written very well and too strenuous (whether "just 5 minutes" or not for begiiner and intermediate fitnes trainers. Also visted web site and found that the "ten world record" he holds are from events that he pretty clerarly made up himself! Also, the thrust of his subscription "newsletters" is clearly geared towards getting you to purchase his full workout package (for much more bucks).
on March 31, 2014
good book great ideas yeah it does jogn the mind to make new routines on your own. I do not feel that Mr. Grube is talking down to anyone I feel that he is trying to motivate> I did not take offense to what he said about fat lazy people cause i am one of them but with this book i am trying to change,