Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New Album by Prophets of Rage GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now PSFF17_gno

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 226-250 of 525 posts in this discussion
Posted on Apr 25, 2012, 9:27:23 AM PDT
bart927 says:
UM, I mean no disrespect when I say my point was missed.
Here it is.
Walmart IS NOT converting anything... they have NO converting means. NOTHING is being put on your device(s).

What Walmart does, Is sign you up for the UltraViolet system. That is Where the movies are. They cross-check your title that you bring in, with the UV titles available, if it is available, you have access to is...if not, you get zip.

And ALL UltraViolet is, Is a streaming system, NO movies files are downloaded (and or stored) on your devices. It IS NOT a digital copy.
All access/activity is through the internet via THEIR cloud system.

UltraViolet is basically a watered down version of Netflix....or Netflix Lite.

Posted on Apr 26, 2012, 7:58:46 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 26, 2012, 8:00:41 AM PDT
Nicholas says:
I agree that Walmart shouldn't be charging consumers to put their movies into the UV cloud. $5 for a push of the button? Sounds a bit crazy if you ask me. I understand that you are paying for convenience but when your DVD collection is well into the triple digits, $5 per movie definitely adds up. I certainly am not paying $1000+ for this service. Handbrake is free and I have been slowly importing all of my DVDs into iTunes during my spare time. BTW, I run my own cloud with a Synology NAS so my Handbraked DVDs are available to all of my devices wherever I am.

As for future purchases, I only purchase Blu-rays that are UV + iTunes compatible. They allow you to enter the code in iTunes and the UV database. So that's what I do. I put the movie into my iTunes cloud and I also put the movie into my UV cloud just in case the UV cloud happens to become something that is more mainstream sometime in the future. Might as well since it's included free. We have the codes so "no harm no foul" lol

As for movies that are UV only, I do not purchase the Blu-ray. I will only purchase the iTunes version.

This week's perfect examples would be Mission Impossible and J Edgar. Mission Impossible is UV + iTunes so I purchased the blu-ray. J Edgar is UV only so I purchased the movie through iTunes.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 26, 2012, 8:28:55 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 26, 2012, 8:34:43 PM PDT
Wait... You only buy the Blu-ray if it has both, yet you only get an iTunes digital copy if no iTunes copy is given on the Blu-ray? ... Ok, you do realize that WB titles only have Standard Definition versions and WB only provides HD rentals through Apple TV. Their combos do have a DVD version included. You can use Handbrake to make an iTunes compatible version yourself. It's more of a hassle, yes, but it's worth more if you get a Blu-ray/DVD combo pack. (a High Def, a Standard Def, and a do-it-yourself iTunes copy. 3 options instead of one.)

Now, if there was a Blu-ray where only the extended version is provided or no DVD copy is included (like Sony recently)... better grab yourself a external Blu-ray burner and MakeMKV, because that's what you'll need if those situations ever come up! ... that, or iTunes. That'll work also.

... I wonder. (checks if Horrible Bosses is on iTunes) Wait, HORRIBLE BOSSES IS NOT ON ITUNES?! (also checks Green Lantern) WHAT THE-?! EVEN THAT, TOO?! ... hmm. (checks Inception. That should be on iTunes) ... Oh s***. It's not there. They took it off. Not all of the WB films are listed on iTunes. WB will soon change their ways and stick with UV.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 27, 2012, 1:33:31 AM PDT
AC says:
right, and then the average customer needs to manage a media server. I have a nice library of ripped movies from my own collection, but it sure is nice not managing an additional server or media library, plus without opening router ports or installing 3rd party apps your library is stuck at home. depends on who you are and how you use your collection. But for most consumers, I would strongly recommend ultra violet support. Right now it's hairy, but for *many* UV supported movies I buy it once, and can watch it on a buttload of devices. Now that is sexy, if you don't think it is, I question your knowledge.

Posted on May 9, 2012, 12:56:02 PM PDT
Rekko says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on May 9, 2012, 3:23:12 PM PDT
I agree Mr N... As for some of the others, nobody said that ALL movies would be available. WM had a bunch of DVD's for $5.00. Then there was an addt'l sign about the UV to be added if interested, for $2.00. I wish everything was available due to my being in NICU since early Feb with my 1st grand baby! It helps pass the time. I like the fact that I can now do this legally so I have nothing to worry about. Also, I don't know where the one person looked, but you CAN download or stream. I have a few that I've done both ways just so I'd have something available w/o Internet. Here's a link if anyone's interested: http://uvvu.com/what-is-uv.php
If you're buying a movie, it's nice to be able to watch it anytime, from anywhere or any device. I'll still buy some movies w/o it if I really want the movie,but it's nice to have. Good luck everyone and enjoy your movies no matter how you choose to watch... :)

In reply to an earlier post on May 12, 2012, 10:15:33 PM PDT
and itunes movies are not compatible with much else unless you have itunes installed. ran in to that one many times

Posted on May 13, 2012, 6:41:11 PM PDT
bart927 says:
Yeah.. But this isn't another tired old Coke vs. Pepsi debate. This is about the future of us customers NOT OWNING anything.... If the movie companies have their way.
This UV system is the beginning in their attempt to control OUR usage of OUR purchase. Whatever device or platform you use.

Validity of info in question is: Copied and pasted directly from Walmart's website:
The process to convert previously-purchased DVD/Blu-ray movies to digital copies is quick and simple:
Bring your movie collections from the participating studio partners - Paramount, Sony, Fox, Universal and Warner Bros. - to your local Walmart Photo Center. A Walmart associate will help you create a free VUDU account.
Tell the associate how you'd like your movies converted:
Convert a standard DVD or Blu-ray movie for $2; or,
Upgrade a standard DVD to an HD digital copy for $5.
Walmart will authorize the digital copies and place them in your VUDU account. No upload is necessary, and you get to keep your physical discs.
Log onto VUDU.com from more than 300 Internet-connected devices to view movies any time, any place.
Walmart Entertainment supports UltraViolet, the movie industry's initiative currently in its beta phase that allows consumers to put their purchased movies into a cloud-based digital library and keep track of them safely and securely. Walmart is able to offer customers the ability to watch and purchase UltraViolet-enabled titles directly from VUDU. These enhancements to Walmart Entertainment's services are the first of their kind from a major retailer and mark an important milestone in the expansion of digital home video ownership.

There still IS NO conversion... and No Ownership. Everything is from the UV cloud.

and, as funny as it was to see the planted link for UV...if I'm going to get info, it's not going to be from the generic, made up, one sided, what we want to tell you, corporate bs... It's going to be from hard facts from solid research from multiple trusted unbiased sources.

Posted on May 14, 2012, 8:59:51 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 14, 2012, 9:05:41 AM PDT
DC says:
@Brian I completely agree and I feel many are just missing the point that this is more then just a discussion on what works with what and how it does or does not this is about a new way to control and track your every move do you guys not see this? Big Brother Is Really Watching, do you really know what all this crap software they make you DL for UV is doing?

Has anyone actually checked what other calls it makes? I doubt that. A very interesting article was written a ways back on how Real was getting a lot more info then they should be from every one who was using there software this guy ripped into and reverse engineered the program to see what it was doing and to prove and back up his claims against them, they tried everything to say it was false info, well it was not and he proved it. I am sure this is basically no different. There is no need for separate software from each studio. If they are doing that theres a much deeper reason then they will want you to know or will tell you sure the website will make you think UV is the best dam thing since sliced bread IT HAS TO Much is invested so they have to try and make you all think it is.

If they really explained in layman's terms what it all does and how, not one of you would buy into it.

It is way more then just making sure you cant easily make a copy, the bad guys will do whatever they will do no matter what type of protection scheme studios come up with, there will always be coders out there that will work hard to break whatever new protection is developed, so it is all a waste of time.

This really only hurts the public that love top notch quality you can get with a correctly transfered blu I for one don't support any of this cloud crap the whole idea is to get the best quality to watch on a 40 or higher inch plasma or led, at least thats what is important to me and countless others like me who invested in a HTR and Blu.

UV is just a fancy DRM nothing more nothing less and I will not buy into it remember they tried this long ago with MP3 that failed so now they feel they must try again. As far as iTunes goes don't like that ether SO I AM NOT SIDING WITH ONE OR THE OTHER, but apple at least did it right and tried to make it a smooth experience FOR THE END USER which UV is not. No Multi Pass here :-)

O how history repeats it self ...

Any who I wanted to put my 2 cents in on this.

In reply to an earlier post on May 14, 2012, 11:36:57 AM PDT
sandawana56 says:
@DC @Brian I completely agree with both of you.

A lot of people are overlooking the fact that there will be additional fees assessed to keep your access to movies in the cloud. The UV Terms of Use (posted below) spell it out. So basically they are running a subscription service which I won't buy into.

I am sitting this UV fiasco out for the same reason I refuse to invest hard money in digital books that are tied to a specific software or device. Until all digital movies and digital books are DRM free there is no reason for me to rush out and spend money. Hail to J. K. Rowling for making all Harry Potter books DRM free because that is the only digital content I'll be investing in.

UV SERVICE TERMS OF USE
https://my.uvvu.com/Consent/Text/US/urn:dece:agreement:EndUserLicenseAgreement/html/Current/

System Requirements and Administrative Access
Use of UltraViolet requires Internet access and at least one UltraViolet Device or device supported by a Streaming Service, and may require certain software and the obtaining of updates or upgrades thereto from time to time. You are responsible for any fees associated therewith.

Intellectual Property Matters
The UltraViolet content is being licensed and not sold to you.

Posted on May 14, 2012, 1:22:19 PM PDT
DC says:
Don't you guys think its a little funny that both Alison F and R Northmore not only posted a few hours apart but spoke in what I would say seems like no more then a scripted post insinuating that we may not know what we are talking about. but it gets better they both don't have a profile or even one review on anything. A bit coincidental don't you think?

Do check that out, if for any reason you doubt what I am saying. This is a big red flag in my book as to the validity of there posts even being real and not planted.

Come on WB we challenge you to post here and defend this great system you call UV.

Posted on May 15, 2012, 4:58:30 PM PDT
larrybbaker says:
I have asked them to provide me a copy that I can play how I want and on which device I choose - not being forced into using their application. Will wait and see hat happens. If there is no satisfactory resolution I will no longer be paying for anything but a basic old DVD package and take care of my own conversions.

In reply to an earlier post on May 18, 2012, 9:21:45 AM PDT
It is even worse. I just purchased Sherlock Holmes, that comes with UV.

Only way to watch on iPad is to install their flixster app and then you can only download the movie up to 5 times for watching off-line.

I will be reverting to buying only standard DVDs and investing in some software to create my own off-line copies

In reply to an earlier post on May 18, 2012, 10:03:20 AM PDT
You can use Vudu for the iPad to watch your UV movies, I believe they have unlimited downloading. They use a web app instead of one from the app store.

Posted on May 18, 2012, 11:54:44 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 18, 2012, 11:58:46 AM PDT
bart927 says:
Another plant?....Apps? Really? Vudo is a VOD streaming service... We don't own anything.
We consumers just want to use OUR purchased content how WE WOULD like..not how you'd like us to.

How about the truth: Vudo through Walmart is now powered by UV in a dual attempt to control the digital distribution. You sign up for Vudo and the process takes you through signing up for UV as well. Why are they hiding that fact?

And unlimited Downloads? Yeah, right, don't make me laugh. Try looking at the terms and the price tags again.

Quote from Consumer Search about VuDu:
"but you don't get possession of the files -- just the right to stream them again and again to any device you've registered with Vudu."

Again WE OWN NOTHING.

Another KEY word "registered"...So not only do they want to know what movies we are watching, but what devices we are watching them on as well.

On a Positive note, I must thank WB because UV has cured me of my NEED to buy the combo pack new releases. I, also, now wait for the single or even the 5 dollar bin release.

In reply to an earlier post on May 18, 2012, 12:14:28 PM PDT
Wow, dude, calm down. I was just letting the guy know about a different option outside of Flixster. You're taking this waaaay too seriously. I completely understand this isn't for everyone. It works for me, just because it's cheaper than building a media server to host all my files, that's all. I'm with you in that I don't like the idea that I don't actually own the files, and I may end up investing in a huge Vudu/UV collection only to find I have no access to it down the road. If it happens, then sucks for me, but I guess I'm willing to risk it for ease of use. I guess it's not so much UV that I'm praising than it is Vudu, as I think out of all the digital media providers, they offer the best quality/service. And just because someone has a different opinion from you doesn't make them a plant.

Posted on May 18, 2012, 1:29:20 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 18, 2012, 1:40:27 PM PDT
bart927 says:
I apologize if you're not a plant, but your opinion sounded more like a commercial than advice.

So, If Vudu didn't merge with UV, I would have recommended it as another option for those without VOD on their cable or satellite or netflix. It was ok for it's newer release, single use rental streaming service.. a bit pricey, though.
Then it got higher when UV merged.... from 5.99 to 22.99 for a UV copy. WOW.

Still, to buy a product then pay an access fee to rent, is is a bit much.

..and the fact that WE consumers may lose the ability to use OUR purchases IS a Serious matter.

Posted on May 18, 2012, 4:02:04 PM PDT
Yeah, unless they come down in price, I'd never straight up buy a movie from Vudu. The disc-to-digital is a much better deal. I can get blurays from Amazon usually for $10, then just pay the $2 to purchase a license on Vudu. I'll usually watch the bluray once, then put it away and just watch my collection on Vudu.

Posted on May 19, 2012, 8:18:24 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 19, 2012, 8:19:48 AM PDT
bart927 says:
I don't think that $2 is worth the price of walmart ruining MY merchandise.

After walmart signs you up for UV, they literally stamp YOUR disc with indellible ink that reads "walmart" so it cannot be entered again.

So now, not only can you NOT re-use the disc again at walmart, (if there is a problem, or after THEY feel your license expires), but you also CANNOT trade or resell the disc.

YOUR purchase just became THEIRS.

Posted on May 19, 2012, 11:07:10 AM PDT
Actually, afterwards I just rub some alcohol on it and voila! It's just like new!

In reply to an earlier post on May 20, 2012, 6:45:13 AM PDT
Sorry DC, I'm definitely not a plant! I don't even know how I ended up on this website or in the conversation? I think I was looking for something on Amazon and ran across this and I wanted to comment, not plant stuff from a company. Sorry if it sounded that way. My husband and I had just had a conversation about the subject when I seen it, so I opened my mouth. LOL! As normally, it gets me accused of wrong doing! Anyway, I swear I really, really like having the options that I now have, no big deal if you don't. The only reason I keep posting is because it keeps sending stuff to my email! Guess I need to figure out how to opt out? If you truly think I'm a plant, you can look me up on FB and you'll see that I'm NOT! :)
Have a wonderful Sunday everyone and enjoy what's left of your weekend! :)

In reply to an earlier post on May 20, 2012, 6:50:21 AM PDT
Wow, you just said exactly what I was thinking! :) I haven't tried Vudu yet, only UV. Is Vudu better? I'd love your opinion since you seem to be reading my mind! I'd really appreciate it! I've been wanting to check it out, but with going to NICU at Shands Hospital in Gainesville, I haven't really had the time. All info would be welcomed...
Thank you, Allison Wade
FB: aliwade65

Posted on May 20, 2012, 8:06:46 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 20, 2012, 8:11:12 AM PDT
DC says:
@Allison F. Wade sorry for accusing you but according to your post you are used to this,
any who my main reason for the accusation is you have not one review not even a simple profile ... most that are fakes do this thinking that we will not look into this well FYI some of us actually do.

2 I found some matching info on the net that seemed it could be you and it just happen to relate to movies made by WB so maybe just a coinkydink. but thats what sent up the flag on your post, that and it sounded a little scripted.

I am sure you know companies do this and have been caught many times one famous post was a host IPOWER who had there team leave falsified info on forums about how fantastic there services were ya sure I know otherwise. well they were tracked and caught, and now their name is pretty much mud to those in the know.

If WB and some real companies would post and defend them selves here we wouldn't be making possible false accusations sorry about that, now please post some reviews of your own and set a small profile so we can welcome you into the forum. You did not just think you would post and that would be the end of it did you :-)

Amazon is about discussion and making sure all is on the money, please take a look at my profile and then take a look at your profile and then you will see why you were flagged by me.

In reply to an earlier post on May 20, 2012, 10:57:36 AM PDT
I'm too lazy to write reviews, lol.

In reply to an earlier post on May 20, 2012, 11:56:18 AM PDT
Actually... You are incorrect.

Ultraviolet allows streaming of movies, however, you can download the movie to up to 5 devices (example: laptop, iPad iPod, desktop pc, ...).

Once you download the movie once to a device, then you can delete and re download the same movie, if needed. This is ideal if you download to iPad as you can face space limitation, especially if you have a large movie collection.
‹ Previous 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 21 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  190
Total posts:  525
Initial post:  Oct 14, 2011
Latest post:  Nov 30, 2016

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 26 customers