Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Month Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. PCB for Musical Instruments Limited time offer Handmade Last Minute Gifts Holiday Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon life life life  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now HTL17_gno

on December 13, 2017
I am in my 70s. I lost about 50 pounds in 3 years by eating very few calories and as a result lost muscle mass. Everyone over 40 knows that most young people stay thin because they have a fast metabolism. Then when we get older the metabolism slows way down. This book tells clearly how to have the metabolism we used to have when we were young. Now that I follow this diet plan, supplements and everything, I do not gain weight, I do not eat like a bird or crave food, and I have a sensible calorie count. My life and my health are on a roll! Hey, go for it !!!
on January 28, 2014
This book was not only required reading for a university level nutrition class, but also personally served to assist with a few adjustments to both my eating and exercise behaviors/habits. I'm sure there are numerous ways to effectively adjust your diet and change your health behaviors out there, but this book is a fairly quick and painless way to go about finding the information you need. Read the book all the way through, work to identify your issues through the guided questions, follow the subsequent guidelines/advice, and hopefully see some gradual results! You'll have to do some work, but this book will definitely help the process go more smoothly with a greater sense of understanding about your body and your unique needs.
on July 5, 2017
It really works for me
on March 3, 2017
I have several of Dr. Hyman's books. Each has helped me improve my health and wellness.
on January 4, 2013
After following Dr. Hyman's work through his website, on the Dr. Oz television show and by watching his video blog, my husband and I have been impressed by the rational, science-based findings that guide his approach to lifetime nutrition. This book provides both an overview of the Ultra Metabolism lifestyle and terrific recipes that support it. In so many of these kinds of books, taste and flavor takes a back seat, but not in Dr. Hyman's books. These recipes are all worth trying and most have them have made their way into our general meal rotation. Well done!
on December 4, 2010
This book is the real deal. I've tried many other health diet books' approaches to lowering cholesterol; this one is the only one that has delivered on its claims. Following the menus in this book (almost religiously), I lowered my cholesterol from 411 to 220 in 2 months time! My alternative medicine doctor doesn't necessarily agree w/ Dr. Hyman's exhortation to avoid stevia and xylitol (ok to use in moderation), and I'm not sure about his negative comments regarding flour (especially since some of the recipes call for soy flour; I like to grind my own), but aside from these minor quibbles, I highly recommend this book. If you are interested in good health and don't mind making a little (not a lot!) of effort and exercising a bit of discipline in how you eat, this book is a must read.
22 comments| 3 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on September 23, 2010
It is written by a doctor, not that all doctors know what they're talking about, and he was the man over at Canyon Ranch for years so it is easy for me to take what he says seriously. Now, for you skeptics, I know that alone is not enough to really sell this but what I've read so far (not done yet) is a lot of common sense. I have been changing what I eat and how often I eat according to what I've read in the beginning of the book and it seems to be making a difference. I'm eating more often and choosing my food much more carefully and I have lost 3 pounds. I know that's not much but it's been a little over a week. And it seems the point is not just weight loss but overall health. If you are thinking about buying this, do it. I'm very happy I did.
on January 4, 2017
Great book for weight loss.
on December 3, 2009
After meeting with one doctor after another regarding my unexplained weight gain, lack of energy and generally not ever feeling well, I finally got some answers. The information helped me find the right doctor and the information needed to ask the right questions. I found out that I have a thyroid condition. Even though I had many thyroid tests done over the years, they all indicated my thyroid was fine. Then I pushed my doctor to do the test Dr. Hyman recommended and found out I do have a thyroid condition and now on medication to correct. Also following his book I have lost 30 pounds I have tried for years to lose. Anyone with a weight issues or lack of energy should read. I would also recommend Jilliam Micheals book, she writes alot of the same issues.
on May 12, 2014
You must buy the cookbook that goes along with this book. It contains specific recipes designed to help you lose weight and turn on your fat burning metabolism by eating the proper food. The book explains how to do this in a healthy manner. Dr. Hyman has a great understanding of our body imbalances and how do correct those by eating the proper food. Let food be thy medicine!