Oil month Automotive HPC Spring Reading Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day gifts Home Gift Guide Mother's Day gifts across Amazon Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Hostiles available to rent Hostiles available to rent Hostiles available to rent  Kids Edition Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now TG18PP_gno

on May 4, 2016
As someone who has been in a body conscious business most of her life, I have been to hell and back trying to keep weight off. The problem was hugely exacerbated by my Hashimoto's thyroiditis. I'm also a classic endomorphic body type (curvy when slim, but a SpongeBob when heavy). I spent HOURS in the gym doing intense, sometimes grueling exercise. When I stayed off gluten, I did okay. It was still infuriating that I wasn't thinner, but after two kids, I figured that was pretty much what I could expect. Yet I was still dumping a ton of Nutrasweet (that stuff is the devil) in my coffee, drinking barrels of it, and eating white rice and the occasional potato. I'm someone who really needs to stay away from the "white menace."

When I found Dr Hyman's book, I expected to lose weight and I have. What I didn't expect was how clear-headed I would become. I'm no longer brain-fogged and sleep walking. I don't want coffee or need it. In fact, I don't really want food all that often. I literally have to force myself to eat. Why? Previously, what drove me to eat wasn't hunger; it was appetite. My cravings prompted me to eat. Now that I'm off sugar, caffeine, gluten, white rice and potatoes, I feel AMAZING. Food IS medicine. Used as such, you, too, will get these same benefits.

I don't usually write reviews, but I am happy to write this one. Dr Hyman is a life saver.
0Comment| 39 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on December 13, 2017
I am in my 70s. I lost about 50 pounds in 3 years by eating very few calories and as a result lost muscle mass. Everyone over 40 knows that most young people stay thin because they have a fast metabolism. Then when we get older the metabolism slows way down. This book tells clearly how to have the metabolism we used to have when we were young. Now that I follow this diet plan, supplements and everything, I do not gain weight, I do not eat like a bird or crave food, and I have a sensible calorie count. My life and my health are on a roll! Hey, go for it !!!
on January 22, 2015
This is amazing! I love the diet. I am not hungry. My husband has lost about 23 lbs. I have lost 17 lbs. It is like the magical combination of food! I am adding to this review. I am 51 and have had a hard time loosing weight. I have been on the diet for about 6 months and have gone down 2 sizes. I feel healthy and sugar doesn't control my life.
on March 8, 2011
Most people discover and read this book for weight loss. I was given this book to read to help me with symptoms from taking the drug, femara. Lots of women who have experienced breast cancer and tested estrogen receptive positive are placed on femara. The side effects are many including, muscle, joint and nerve pain, severve fatigue, foggy brain, headaches, trigger thumbs, weight gain,blurred vision etc. The longer you stay on femara the stronger the side effects become. After over 2 years on femara I was physically in really bad shape with all of the above symptoms. I had gained over 30 lbs, but my concern was the other symptoms that stopped me from working and sleeping. My friend who gave me this book had fibromylagia, high blood pressure, heart condition etc. After switching to Dr. Hyman's way of eating she didn't have high blood pressure or fibromylagia. I read the book cover to cover,twice. Remember I had brain fog. Took the tests,followed this book to the mark. After the first week of detox, I lost 9lbs., no headaches, in fact no aches anywhere. I was sleeping through the nights. Arms, legs, hips pain free. No facial migraines, once a week. This was crazy amazing!! To me, this is a no brainer. If I eat the right foods I feel like a millon bucks. If I eat the wrong foods I pay a dear price. I have been on this plan for two years now, am off of femara and will continue this way of eating for the rest of my life. I overall lostover 30lbs of weight. My only regret is that I didn't start this earlier, it could have prevented me from cancer in the first place. This book is more than just a weight loss book, this book will save us all from a lot of pain. I have bought this book several times for my friends and relatives to have as a gift.
0Comment| 35 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on March 25, 2011
This book along with the superfoods RX books are the best books I've ever read on the subject of health in general and how to treat your body. It's helped me in learning about hidden issues that cause some health problems I've experienced and I've started losing weight and getting in the best shape I've been in in many years. It's extremely detail-intensive, BUT written in a way that you don't need to know anything at all prior to reading it to understand everything it says under every topic.

I bought the audio version for myself and thought so much of it that I've started buying it in the prefered versions for others as well that have similar interests (some people love to read and so I get them the printed, those the like audiobooks such as myself I get them that).

Very, very important in this book is dispelling myths about weight loss efforts that don't work or work, but are horrible for your health and (most importantly) WHY they are or are not. MUCH of the book is common sense, but again, WHY it's right or not. Everyone knows to eat right and exercise, but what does that really mean? Is it the same for everone? What is good exercise? How much do we need? WHY do we need to exercise? What does it do for us? What is healthy eating? Is what is healthy for you also for me? This is only a portion of the book of course, but I liked the fact that all of these questions were answered very well.

I strongly recommend it to anyone with an interest in their health. This (along with the Superfoods books) should, I believe, be taught in schools to provide the knowledge needed to people of all ages.
on January 28, 2014
This book was not only required reading for a university level nutrition class, but also personally served to assist with a few adjustments to both my eating and exercise behaviors/habits. I'm sure there are numerous ways to effectively adjust your diet and change your health behaviors out there, but this book is a fairly quick and painless way to go about finding the information you need. Read the book all the way through, work to identify your issues through the guided questions, follow the subsequent guidelines/advice, and hopefully see some gradual results! You'll have to do some work, but this book will definitely help the process go more smoothly with a greater sense of understanding about your body and your unique needs.
on September 23, 2010
I have had this book for a while and have been following it's diet fairly closely, and using many of the supplements receommended and walla, over a 3 month period I have had less hypoglycemic events (this was gradual) in the middle of the night, gradually losing high glycemic high saturated foods cravings (chips, ice cream etc) more energy enough to get back to my exercise regime I used to follow long time ago,i know I lost some fat as my clothes are looser the belt I use is so much looser than before which it used to be really tight when I put it on the second hole and now it is loose. someone commented to me the other day I looked like I lost weight I do not use a scale by the way. never use scales those numbers can drive you nuts. I recommend this book highly, there is no caloire restriction you eat when your hungry or feel like eating and eat until your fully satiated (where food is unappealing and that next bite is just not appetitizing. it is not about forcing your body to tap into stores it is about letting it see that food enviroment is adequate and excess fat stores are not needed anymore. it will decrease your appetite in the long run making you eat less instead of forcing your self to eat less. permanent fat loss is never fast.

I recommend you accompany this book with the book how to be naturally thin by eating more by jean antenello, I had this info from this book for years and couldnt follow it fully, or get off the famine feast cycle explained in the book until I read ultrametabolism, you wont' be able to fully implement or stick to ultrametabolism until you read the naturally thin book other wise you won't eat enough you will still try to control portions and still have unsatisfied hunger which can get you later on. with these books naturally thin by eating more and ultrametabolism and several articles on the net such as is (the obeisty epidemic is the metabolic syndrome a nutritional deficency?) free to read on the net just google the title. and the article by same author of obesity epidemic article about sulfer deficency and obesity.

So if you only get one fatloss book get this one. if two, the naturally thin by eating more book. you wont need any other.
on July 5, 2016
I'm sure the information here is valuable in using to help lose weight. But unfortunately I found the info too complicated, the recipes too long, and the insistence on organic food too pricy. If you're anything like me and cook very simply, this book's not for you.
on November 2, 2006
In the last seven months I've given this book to family, friends and clients to help them understand how food can change your life. Most have felt the book is wonderful except for some shoddy writing here and there (critical people). Being in the fitness industry for 15 years now I feel the book is a great place to start growing into a healthy lifestyle and understanding of food.

For decades we have been misinformed about food and diet to the point where you have to unlearn the wrong and relearn the healthy. Sure I totally adore crap food but I know it as crap and may eat a small amount here and there but not everyday and not even every week. I'm lucky that I love too cook and have the opportunity to do.

We all need to take responsibility for our health right now. You and you alone can have the healthy life you deserve. If you are ill you didn't get that way over night or even in a week so why think that it can and should be gone that quick? True healing takes time and self love, be good to yourself, have faith in others, know you deserve to have perfect health and be happy for the rest of your wonderful life.
on June 29, 2008
I lost 5 pounds in 5 weeks following this eating plan. I wasn't hungry very often. The recipes are wonderful, and I could eat this way forever.

On the "down" side, you'll have to shop and cook if you want to follow this way of eating. You may have to give away many of the products already in your pantry if you choose to continue this way of eating. I can't see why you wouldn't continue it if it works for you. A principle I garnered is "Eat Food, Not Products." Don't bother with this book unless you are ready to make a lifestyle change that includes shopping, cooking and meal planning.

I think it's a great book. I wish there were a vegetarian version. I have eaten vegetarian for many years, but made an exception to try this way of eating. So I'm actually moving on to other weight-loss approaches and returning to vegetarianism, while keeping a number of take-away messages from Ultrametabolism. UM is not incompatible with vegetarianism, but the recipes aren't there.