Oil month Automotive HPC Best Books of the Month Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day gifts Home Gift Guide Mother's Day gifts across Amazon Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon westworldS2 westworldS2 westworldS2  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now SWMTVT18_gno

on May 26, 2014
I should start off by saying what this book isn't....

It's not slick. It's not like Marcus Luttrell's Lone Survivor. It's not Chris Kyle's American Sniper. And it's not definitely not Richard Marcinko's Rogue Warrior. Each of those was penned in part by others. (Patrick Robinson, Jim DeFelice and John Weisman respectively.) And yes, they are all fine books.

No, Thom Shea's Unbreakable was clearly written by the man himself.

It's a personal memoir, a "letter" to his children in case he didn't return home from battling America's enemies.

It must have been incredibly difficult to write. What does a father want to convey to his son about being a man? What does he want to tell his daughter about being a woman, wife and mother? How does he convey why his sacrificing his life with them was not just a selfish act, but one of love for his family, friends and Nation?

When reading, you can get the sense that the book was compiled from Thom's writing on bits of paper while riding in the back of a cargo plane or email's back home ,from a dusty base in some godforsaken land.

It's why I started by saying the book isn't slick. (It's also why it got four stars from me, and not five - it could have had tighter editing.)

But what it is is honest.

In an age where warriors are no longer glorified, but looked down upon by the politically correct, this book will be hard for them to read. The truth is, after all, a bitter pill to swallow. And the truth is, we need hard men - warriors - to do bad things to bad people.

To read Unbreakable is to get to know who Thom Shea is. A warrior.
0Comment| 54 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on April 8, 2018
I have recently finished reading this book & can tell anyone that I will read it again. If you have read Chris Kyle's book American Sniper, this book is similar in the way it was written. By this I mean that you will read both about the author & some of his declassified actions, & what the meaning of the title of the book is about, as well as having excerpts from his wife in the book.
This is a book about what the SEALs do best, it is also about what family represents to those in the vanguard, & this book deals with the self talk that can make or break everything we do on a daily basis.
I HIGHLY RECOMMEND this book!!
on January 4, 2016
A chief petty officer is the pinnacle of an enlisted man's or woman's career in the Navy. Thom Shea writes a memorable book to his children that speaks just as powerfulyl to the reader from the perspective of a front-line E7. You just have to respect a 42 year old senior enlisted combat warrior that continues to deploy with the teams year after year, mission after mission, dealing with his internal dialogue at every turn. Read the book. You'll be a more powerful person for the experience. Thanks for your service Thom.
on May 23, 2017
I heard about this book through an obstacle course podcast I was listening to and decided to give it a read. After reading it through, I would say that the first half was a great insight on how a SEAL thinks and how that can be brought to civilian life. Mastering your internal dialogue is the key message here. After Shea gets this point across, the book turns flat. He begins to repeat himself over and over the same message. It absolutely got through to me but by the time I got to the end I wasn't thrilled. I'd recommend this book to someone who's looking to improve their life and productivity on a mental stand point. Don't expect to read this book and feel motivated or a magically feeling of positivity. Shea keeps real life involved and forces the reader to look deep into their life and ask themselves "are you ready to master your internal dialogue?"
on April 16, 2018
I was looking at James Comey's crybaby blame book and Thom Shea's warrior's guide.. So glad I choose Thom's! Not only a true, edge of your seat account of a real hero and his actions in combat, but also a guide to help remember what's important in today's World: Integrity, Honor, Service, Courage, Perseverance..... these words mean something to the men of our military. What these guys go through, and the time spent away from their families in the service of our Nation is phenomenal. I don't remember even one crybaby political reference in this book. Read it. It's terrific. Thanks to Thom AND his family for their service!
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on May 13, 2017
This book is the most simple, yet superb guide to life. The way it's written speaks to the mind of someone who is actively bettering themselves. The lessons taught are so profound, yet delivered in such a humble and solid way, they make you question how you couldn't see the solutions before. If you truly follow the teachings, you will see improvement in yourself. No games, no gimmicks.
on February 28, 2016
Great Book! The willingness of the Author to share his story, his failures and successes is truly uplifting. It is amazing how we really do not think about the importance of internal dialogue in our life. Often times our own self talk leads to our failure in life, especially if we have developed negative self talk. The idea of failing and not being defeated and still having positive self talk is what sets successful people apart from those who do succeed. Thanks Mr. Shea.
on April 23, 2017
So far I am about 3/4 the way finished. Hard to get excited about it. Very bland. Sort of a normal perspective of an operators life. It's not always bombs and bullets!
on December 28, 2015
I love the idea of this book, that our internal dialogue guides our perception of life. It's a great concept and a worthy effort to demonstrate how SEALS endure incredibly tough situations through mastery of their own dialogue.

However, the stories lacked cohesiveness and the thesis was never fully flushed out. This book could easily go from 2 stars to 5 stars with a professional editor and more focus on tangible application of mastering our internal dialogue in daily life.
on March 4, 2015
Something different. I really liked this book for the most part. It sheds some insight into the mindset it takes to suffer and endure that SEALS have mastered. Thom spends more time than I cared for talking about his dreams while he was in combat, but the content is otherwise engrossing, and it is a hard book to put down.